Cbr1000rr Front End Swap, Anyone Tried This?

Guest dodgydoug

Question

Guest dodgydoug

Hey people,

Long time lurker, short time member. Just like to say you guys are awesome, the projects and knowledge is amazing! Ok for starters am just about to get back into road bikes, and have my eye on a tidy 2000 5th gen. Have read here about lots of people doing USD suspension swaps, and was liking the idea of a swap with radial brakes. (more bling the better right!) Was thinking of CBR1000RR front end, has anyone tried this? Will it work with the SP1 lower triple, 929 top clamps? Would like to stay with the 6 spoke front wheel so prob need an SP 1 front wheel?!? Also anyone out there on the lookout for an SP1 front end (complete I might add) I have found one on the following website.... SP1 front end Hope this gets someone who is after one there... Would buy it myself but am really after the radials!

It looks like its gonna be a big project, something you guys would be proud of! Chopped rear end, 600RR belly pan like Toro's, and speaking of Toro how is his supercharger kit going, am pretty keen to add this to me VFR.

I think I'll go Ohlins for the shock, does anyone know if the VFR ohlins comes with height adjustment like some of their versions? Have heard of people putting 929 shocks in, I had a race 929 a few years back with a height adjustable Ohlins in it, anyone know why this wouldn't work?

Anyway, I would really appreciate anyones help on any of these topics!

14 answers to this question

I think someone asked about this before. The answers were, the new CBR 1000RR forks are are much shorter than the VFR OEMs which makes it more difficult to get things right for the transplant. The ones that are closest to the VFR OEM fork length would be the RC51 forks, even though they still are shorter than VFR OEMs and require the use of triples that have arms that angle down to help compenstate for the short legnth.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
The ones that are closest to the VFR OEM fork length would be the RC51 forks, even though they still are shorter than VFR OEMs and require the use of triples that have arms that angle down to help compensate for the short length.

Beck

95 VFR

No, they don't.

The SP-1 RC51 lower triple and CBR929/954 just happened to work together when I tried it back in 2003, and the only reason I put them together in the first place was that I couldn't find a full set of either CBR or RC51 triples at the time, and was curious to see if it would work.

• Member Contributer

Later on, some people thought that 1) this was NECESSARY because of the difference in fork length, which it is NOT and 2) that you HAD to use RC51 lower triples because the CBR929/954 lower triples seriously interfere with the radiator hoses, which they DO NOT.

My findings;

The CBR1000RR forks will work on a 4th gen BUT only with the right parts which are as follows;

954/929 top triple clamp because you need the gullwing design to clamp forks to be able to get required length to axle.

954/929 lower triple clamp because this triple clamp is easier to get & cost less plus has added bonus on the 4th gen install of being able to use socket screws mounted in frame stops & use standard triple clamp stops.

Convertibars have to be used due to clipons have to be mounted bellow top triple clamp & you need the reach these have to obtain bar hight needed.

You may also find you will need extended throttle cables for this setup.

You need to have a measurement of 505-510mm from bottom of lower head bearing to center of axle unloaded with a dynamic sag no greater than 35mm (this is measurement I have found works the best geometry wise)

You will also want to jack the rear height so dog bone has only enough clearance so as not to hit shock mount when fully extended.

• Member Contributer

I was looking at a set of eBay 1000rr forks to swap on to my 5th gen, I've got the RC sp2 front end on now. Right now I'm showing about 10mm of forks above the 929/954 triple clamp & Cyclecat clipons. The eBay seller said he had the RR forks on his RC but, you need to use the RR axle and swap in the RR wheel bearings in the RC wheel. Rotors interchange but you need the RR calipers. As far as RR fork length though, he gave me this:

Center of the axle to the top of the fork tube is 28", unsprung. The upper tube is 17 3/4" long which is more than an inch shorter than the RC51's.

Based on that I'd lose 25 mm of fork length compared to the SP2's so I passed, my front end is low enough as is, I don't think I could go another 15mm lower. I don't think the RR forks will work, there's just not enough length to get the right trail. But give it a try and post some pictures. :thumbsup:

May want to consider the RR lower castings mounted on RC forks. :huh:

The ones that are closest to the VFR OEM fork length would be the RC51 forks, even though they still are shorter than VFR OEMs and require the use of triples that have arms that angle down to help compensate for the short length.

Beck

95 VFR

No, they don't.

FerChristSakes, Did you really have to scream??! :huh:

Beck

95 VFR

I was looking at a set of eBay 1000rr forks to swap on to my 5th gen, I've got the RC sp2 front end on now. Right now I'm showing about 10mm of forks above the 929/954 triple clamp & Cyclecat clipons. The eBay seller said he had the RR forks on his RC but, you need to use the RR axle and swap in the RR wheel bearings in the RC wheel. Rotors interchange but you need the RR calipers. As far as RR fork length though, he gave me this:

Center of the axle to the top of the fork tube is 28", unsprung. The upper tube is 17 3/4" long which is more than an inch shorter than the RC51's.

Based on that I'd lose 25 mm of fork length compared to the SP2's so I passed, my front end is low enough as is, I don't think I could go another 15mm lower. I don't think the RR forks will work, there's just not enough length to get the right trail. But give it a try and post some pictures. :thumbsup:

May want to consider the RR lower castings mounted on RC forks. :unsure:

Hmmm, was a little worried that would be the case that they would be too short. :warranty: I'm a thinking I am gonna have to do a bit more research!

Welcome DodgyDoug,

Your plans sound good. If you want radial calipers you can use 2004+ R1 forks, the conversion is not much more complex than for Honda USD forks.

There's an incomplete set of 50th Anniversary R1 forks on ebay.com.au right now (the ones with bling gold anodised fork bodies) but a complete front end with wheel, brakes etc. is an easier option.

You just need two 2mm spacers on each side of the OEM axle spacers (turn down some OEM ones from a wrecker) and then space the rotors 2mm off the wheels with spacers and longer rotor bolts - the CBR triples set the R1 forks 4mm further apart than R1 triples and you have to make up the difference. You can't space the radial calipers, so you space the rotors instead.

Nice collection of toys you have there :thumbsup:

Welcome DodgyDoug,

Your plans sound good. If you want radial calipers you can use 2004+ R1 forks, the conversion is not much more complex than for Honda USD forks.

There's an incomplete set of 50th Anniversary R1 forks on ebay.com.au right now (the ones with bling gold anodised fork bodies) but a complete front end with wheel, brakes etc. is an easier option.

You just need two 2mm spacers on each side of the OEM axle spacers (turn down some OEM ones from a wrecker) and then space the rotors 2mm off the wheels with spacers and longer rotor bolts - the CBR triples set the R1 forks 4mm further apart than R1 triples and you have to make up the difference. You can't space the radial calipers, so you space the rotors instead.

Nice collection of toys you have there :thumbsup:

Thanks man, looks like the R1 setup will be the way to go for radial calipers. She is gonna need some pretty serious stopping power once I get my torocharger for it.

Still waiting on the RMZ450, been waiting since november last year. Been pretty frustrating, but good things come to those who wait! :thumbsup:

Ok people don't believe me :pissed:

Sorry about my first reply thinking you asked about a 4th gen, but the same applies with the 5th & 6th gen as well except for the steering stop easy mod on the 4th.

The CBR1000RR forks will work, I know this because I have done the measurements because I just so happen to have 06 R1 forks on my VTEC & CBR1000RR forks on my CBR1000RR.

The R1 forks unloaded are 730mm from top to center of axle.

The CBR1000RR forks are 700mm from top to center of axle. (these measurements are done buy eye with a tape measure so give or take 1-2mm)

I had to use a flat SP1 top triple clamp on my VTEC/R1 install because I couldn't get forks up through triple clamps for geometry I wanted using Convertibars with the 954/929 top triple (clamp fouled on fork upper tapper). My R1 forks are 5mm out through top of SP1 triple so if you use a 954/929 top triple you will get back 15mm + the 5mm I have sticking through so your looking for 10mm extra length to obtain the geometry I know works (well what I like anyway).

How do you find 10mm simple any good suspension tuner can always mod any fork to gain another 5mm to 10mm of length. My R1 forks use 35mm dynamic sag so have them setup with 25mm & without any special mod you gain that 10mm back. I also have my rear ride height higher so even if you don't like the turn in I do you have that to play with.

People have to remember there is allot of adjustment front to rear within forks & sag settings you don't have to have a stiff front end to use a lower sag setting if forks/shock are set up to suit what you want. Case to point you can mod the RC51 forks to be about 20mm longer than they normally are from factory without even effecting sag settings.

If you want to use CBR1000RR forks go spk to a suspension tuner & ask the above for your self because I could just be making it up.

• Member Contributer
Ok people don't believe me :beer:

Sorry about my first reply thinking you asked about a 4th gen, but the same applies with the 5th & 6th gen as well except for the steering stop easy mod on the 4th.

The CBR1000RR forks will work, I know this because I have done the measurements because I just so happen to have 06 R1 forks on my VTEC & CBR1000RR forks on my CBR1000RR.

The R1 forks unloaded are 730mm from top to center of axle.

The CBR1000RR forks are 700mm from top to center of axle. (these measurements are done buy eye with a tape measure so give or take 1-2mm)

I had to use a flat SP1 top triple clamp on my VTEC/R1 install because I couldn't get forks up through triple clamps for geometry I wanted using Convertibars with the 954/929 top triple (clamp fouled on fork upper tapper). My R1 forks are 5mm out through top of SP1 triple so if you use a 954/929 top triple you will get back 15mm + the 5mm I have sticking through so your looking for 10mm extra length to obtain the geometry I know works (well what I like anyway).

How do you find 10mm simple any good suspension tuner can always mod any fork to gain another 5mm to 10mm of length. My R1 forks use 35mm dynamic sag so have them setup with 25mm & without any special mod you gain that 10mm back. I also have my rear ride height higher so even if you don't like the turn in I do you have that to play with.

People have to remember there is allot of adjustment front to rear within forks & sag settings you don't have to have a stiff front end to use a lower sag setting if forks/shock are set up to suit what you want. Case to point you can mod the RC51 forks to be about 20mm longer than they normally are from factory without even effecting sag settings.

If you want to use CBR1000RR forks go spk to a suspension tuner & ask the above for your self because I could just be making it up.

Sounds like good info and some things to consider.

Just some additional measurements from the RC forks I have, unloaded and ctr axle to top fork cap:

SP1: 755mm

SP2: 730mm

Anyone measured up FZ1 forks? Looking at a FZ1 at work with the bolt on handlebar, it looks like you could have the forks you want and all the adjustment ever needed, with some touring height bars. Not sure of differences between the FZ1 and R1 set ups?

Anyone measured up FZ1 forks? Looking at a FZ1 at work with the bolt on handlebar, it looks like you could have the forks you want and all the adjustment ever needed, with some touring height bars. Not sure of differences between the FZ1 and R1 set ups?

As far as I know, the FZ1 (01-05) uses the same steeringhead bearings that the VFR does. So, as long as the newer 2006+ FZ1 with the USD forks : have the same steering head diameters, and you make sure the FZ1 steering stem is long enough, it should be a direct drop in. Unfortunately, I can't find any information about the 06-07 FZ1 steering head bearings so I don't know for sure. :unsure:

Thanks for the info here guys, this is really helpful, I seriously doubt I'd ever get around to finding all this out myself, it takes alot of hours researching to undertake a project like this. And unfortunately I no longer work at a motorcycle shop like I did when I restomodded a GB400 back in 99. I got it from 23hp at the crank to 55hp at the back wheel. I think another one of these will be the next project of the Frankenviffer. :salesman:

Archived