Bag Liners

roadpupp

• Member Contributer

Hi all, a search about bag liners didn't seem to answer my question.

First off, does the Hondaline bag liner really fill up the Factory hard bags? I just purchased a set of the hard bags. Some threads around here seemed to indicate that the liners only fill up half the bag fully loaded. Is this true?

Also, does anyone have any input on liners in general? I did a 10 day tour on a Goldwing and really liked being able to pull the liners out each evening instead of carrying loose gear or taking the hard bag off.

I think I will often use the bags without liners to stuff my gear into when I commute, but on the few long trips a year that I take, I think I might want them.

Finally, are there any other bag liners that we know will fit?

Thanks in advance

• Member Contributer

They fill the outer 1/2 of the hard box, leaving an area of open space inboard............ :thumbsup: My Gold Wing ones also leave a storage space behind the liners................ :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I've never used the factory liners so I can't comment on the fit, but the sidecase liners I bought from CruiserBackrest.com are custom made to fit the shape of the sidecases and for the most part seem to fill up most of the space inside the cases. They were considerably cheaper that the Hondaline liners too...about $50 for the pair I think...and they also seem to be well constructed, and even come with sewn-in red VFR logo on the black nylon material.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the liners, and the manufacturers website is down. I searched and all I found was the message below, so maybe you can call them for prices and photos.

Jeff

========

Dear Valued Customer,

Due to some hosting problems, our website is temporarily unavailable. If you want to place an order, have any question regarding the order you already placed, or if you have question about our products, please send us an email at cruiserbackrest@gmail.com or give us a call at 678-534-5793. Our office hours are Monday-Friday, 9:00AM-6:00PM EST.

You also can visit our Ebay store.

We are sorry for the inconvenience!

CruiserBackrest.com

For the most part, yes, the Honda bag liners fill up most of the saddlebags. There is that space that wraps around the exhaust that doesn't get filled. Here's a picture of a saddlebag (Sebspeed's I believe) where I marked the empty space:

empty.jpg

they do indeed fill up almost all of the hardbag's space. the trunk liner actually has a zipper so you can use it half-full or unzip it to take up the entire trunk space. when i bought my bags i thought, "why, not, just a gimmick...." they are actually very useful. if you're on road-trips you can pull out all your gear, leave the hardbags on the bike and you've got a set of luggage! sweet, eh?

• Member Contributer

I like them, but have to agree about the little pocket of space on the inside. The liners strap into each bag with the elastic on the side closest to the bike. After they are strapped in, you still have a large area on the outside of the bag. I tend to put my hat, purse, and other odds & ends in this space. So, when we're done for the evening, it's much easier for me to simply bring the entire hard bag in for the night. I thought that I would simply carry the liner in for the night like you are thinking. It's never worked out like that for me. Although, I still use them and like them. It may work out like you are planning... it just didn't for me.

• Member Contributer

The comments back are a little less than cohesive.

Does anyone out there think I should look for a liner that more fully takes up the full space? VFRRidergal says that she ends up taking off the entire hard bag. This would indicate to me that the liners don't really do their job....

Any one else have advice for me?

the side hardbags are only rated for 20 pounds, although i've often had much more than that in each one.

they do hold a lot, for example: 35 mm camera and lenses, safety kit, a weeks worth of clothes (if you pack light), chain lube, maps, extra pairs of shoes and hiking boots and a small toolkit - i.e. lots.

in the trunk i had ipod gear, laptop, books, shop manual, more camera gear, more clothing, maps and more maps...

not sure why vfrgirl would have trouble removing them each end of day on a ride, they are designed for that.

i think they are totally worthwhile and useful. for the hundred bucks i think they are a great investment.

The comments back are a little less than cohesive.

Does anyone out there think I should look for a liner that more fully takes up the full space? VFRRidergal says that she ends up taking off the entire hard bag. This would indicate to me that the liners don't really do their job....

Any one else have advice for me?

• Member Contributer

You're thinking on the right track. Does the bag fill enough space to do the job?

I had bag liners on 2 different BMWs and they were great. Liners were perfectly shaped for the hard bag and no need to take the bag off the bike.

I haven't tried any of the liners for the VFR bags. But I would like to get liners if they work well.

For the most part, yes, the Honda bag liners fill up most of the saddlebags. There is that space that wraps around the exhaust that doesn't get filled. Here's a picture of a saddlebag (Sebspeed's I believe) where I marked the empty space:

empty.jpg

Yup. that be my bag, and a correct marking of the unused space. I have a set of the liners that I bought on ebay for $50(new), and have only used them on one trip. I was able to pack for a week(based out of a hotel for work), and could have made good use of the liners for that. I ended up carrying both hard bags to my room anyway, because it was easy, and I was riding the bike to the training center every day.

If you want to try them out, I'll send them to you for what I paid plus shipping. Try them out, and if you don't like them, send them back. PM me if you're interested / want to work out some details. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Roadpupp,

To better answer your question, the liners alone are not large enough for me for a weeklong trip. While they are nice bags, I (personally) feel that they could have been constructed better so that you can utilize all of the space more efficiently. I say take Sebastion up on his offer so you can develop your own opinion. The only bad thing about looking for a larger liner would be trying to get that liner out of the hardbag. I say this because if you packed the heck out of that bag, you might have trouble getting it in and out of the hardbag opening. These OEM bags certainly don't open as wide as a GIV, for example. But, you might be able to extend the support strings to widen the opening. Take Seb up on his offer and develop your own opinion... :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

The first thing I did with my new hard case was to extend the little teeny tiny loops that hold the case from opening too far. It was tricky to make the extension just right and it took me a couple of tries to get the perfect opening.

Now I can load the bags and not have to twist and cram the stuff inside. You can also unloop the little rope straps, but then the case can open too wide and there is no telling what kind of stress you'll put on the hinges.

The local outdoor store will sell you some 3mm perlon to make this happen.... accessory cord works great and the cases open just a little wider - enough to handle the bulkiest stuff you have to load!

• Member Contributer

I did a two week trip with three other guys on VFR's., me being the only guy with liners, and let me tell you, they work great!! The other guys were sweating and swearing, me, I just pitch the liners over the shoulder and off you go. Trust me, if you pack more than what you need in the liners, you need to travel in a cage!!

• Member Contributer
Hi all, a search about bag liners didn't seem to answer my question.

First off, does the Hondaline bag liner really fill up the Factory hard bags? I just purchased a set of the hard bags. Some threads around here seemed to indicate that the liners only fill up half the bag fully loaded. Is this true?

Also, does anyone have any input on liners in general? I did a 10 day tour on a Goldwing and really liked being able to pull the liners out each evening instead of carrying loose gear or taking the hard bag off.

I think I will often use the bags without liners to stuff my gear into when I commute, but on the few long trips a year that I take, I think I might want them.

Finally, are there any other bag liners that we know will fit?

Thanks in advance

I'm in the market for some liners as well; Bestem seems to make some liners that they claim are better than factory. I think Bestem is in Atlanta and has a showroom. I may buy a pair of liners from them and have a tailor attach a couple of small travel packing bags (REI, Magellan's, and other sites carry them) in the right place for a "custom" fit inside the luggage. Frankly I'm tired of trying to load and unload the hard bags when I'm on a road trip.

Personally, I think the liners are great. I'm sure you can pack more in the hard bags alone than you could using the liners, but I've never had a shortage of room. And, even if I did, I still wouldn't give up my liners. If you can find liners that are more space efficient, then definitely get them. :thumbsup:

Of course, I also have a top-box, so I'll usually load that up too. Plus if I need more room, I'll use my tank bag and sometimes I'll even strap an extra bag to the back seat for even more storage. :goofy:

Of course, I also have a top-box, so I'll usually load that up too. Plus if I need more room, I'll use my tank bag and sometimes I'll even strap an extra bag to the back seat for even more storage. :beer:

This was me on my last trip: Side bags, tank bag, trunk and a soft tailbag I bungied down. When I stop for the night, everything comes off the bike, so no real need for liners. I use small gym bags (one each side bag) and fill in the empty space around them. The side bags pop on and off so easy, and we are always near the room, why leave them on and worry about someone fucking with them? Maybe if I was staying on the 9th floor of the Ritz I might try to minimize my trips up, but at the roadside places we stay, easy to pop everything off (no sweating or swearing involved) and sleep peacefully not worried about someone trying to break into your luggage.

Bill

Archived