Motorcycle Jeans

Guest Badazzteacher

Guest Badazzteacher

So after looking around (online) at many kinds of MC specific riding jeans I have finally ordered some of the Diamond Gusset brand "Defender" Jeans today. I will post up how I like them when I get them.

I looked at mostly the Icon: Anthem, Hooligan, and Recon; the Sliders at Comp. Accessories, and the famous Draggin jeans.

http://www.gussetclothing.com/defend.html

The reason I decided to try the DG's is because of the amount of Kevlar in them. They put it in the knees, butt, and hips, where the other brands only do the knees and/or the butt.

I will probably get some knee armor too from Icon or another brand.

• Member Contributer
So after looking around (online) at many kinds of MC specific riding jeans I have finally ordered some of the Diamond Gusset brand "Defender" Jeans today. I will post up how I like them when I get them.

I looked at mostly the Icon: Anthem, Hooligan, and Recon; the Sliders at Comp. Accessories, and the famous Draggin jeans.

The reason I decided to try the DG's is because of the amount of Kevlar in them. They put it in the knees, butt, and hips, where the other brands only do the knees and/or the butt.

I have the Sliders myself. They are blue, but not a "Levi's" blue, and I find the color a bit odd. I am interested in your review of the Diamond Gusset. Did you look at Hood Jeans? They're a UK company and apparently very well received over there. I like them because they look like contemporary jeans with protection.

If you are going to purchase motorcycle specific, protective clothing, why not just get some leathers?

I can answer that one - I've found my Draggin Jeans to be more comfortable than leather on hot days. I'll even do day rides with them on in Winter with thermals underneath.

Leather is still great in my books but its good to be able to have an option for staying protected and comfortable with the temperature rises.

Cheers,

If you are going to purchase motorcycle specific, protective clothing, why not just get some leathers?

I have considered them very much, but you being in Florida, I am surprised you would ask this. Try wearing leathers, perfed or not, in 90 - 110 degrees! F that.

I have the Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 for the cold weather up to 70 degrees and am also not going to buy some leathers that I can only wear two to four months out of the year. I also don't do track days, negating the need for them. The last issue is budget.

I ended up with Joe Rocket alter ego's. Simply because i can wear them over my khakis, and strip em off when I get to work. I now see these kevlar "leggings" things that you slip on under jeans that cover your entire leg/butt/hit area, and I wish I got them instead!! I also have a pair of Sliders Khakis, but find them too heavy for any warmer weather. The Alter ego's do it for me (i'll probably pick up a pair of those kevlar underpants to wear underneath in the near future).

• Member Contributer
I have considered them very much, but you being in Florida, I am surprised you would ask this. Try wearing leathers, perfed or not, in 90 - 110 degrees! F that.

I'm a wimp and don't ride down here unless it is 65-75 degrees :goofy:

I have actually never ridden in jeans, only leathers and textile, and the leathers were a lot cooler than the textile I had. Are jeans that much cooler?

• Member Contributer

I'm a wimp and don't ride down here unless it is 65-75 degrees :goofy:

I have actually never ridden in jeans, only leathers and textile, and the leathers were a lot cooler than the textile I had. Are jeans that much cooler?

I wear Kevlar jeans Mon thru Fri because they are what I wear all day at work.....I don't have to change. If I ride after work or on weekends I wear gear. Used to be totally leather, but I got real partial to my Olympia suit. (IMO), unless textile has some good openable vents, ventilated leather is the coolest stuff I've worn.....including the jeans........... :thumbsup:

sometime you ride to loactions for other events and such and leathers are not necessarily inconspicous. With the jeans you can at least look normal amoung the crowd when out and about. :thumbsup:

sometime you ride to loactions for other events and such and leathers are not necessarily inconspicous. With the jeans you can at least look normal amoung the crowd when out and about. :thumbsup:

+1 on that and also if I wanted to look like Joe Racer, I would buy a two piece perfed suit to wear. I don't drag my knees on public roads or go to the track either. My control feelers and occasionally toes are touching down way before my knee is. If I start touching my knee on the pavement and rip a hole in my jeans or riding pants, then I'd say it's time for some pucks! :pissed:

I think some people are missing the point on the reason/s people buy MC specific jeans. I personally like how a leather jacket and jeans look together, but also want some protection.

• Member Contributer

I bought a pair of the hooligans, and i love them. They don't look like normal jeans, but they are still very comfortable. I have knee armor i'll wear underneath them when i'm going on a long ride, but otherwise i just go with the jeans. They work for me because they're comfortable enough to go WC dancing in.

• Member Contributer

I have a pair of Draggin jeans and they've held up well. I've had them 2 years I think? I wear them under my textile pants though, not alone. In the summer I'm wearing my leathers, in the winter it's textile.

If I'm going on a quick trip out to eat I may wear them alone - well I've done that once I think.

• Member Contributer
I have a pair of Draggin jeans and they've held up well. I've had them 2 years I think? I wear them under my textile pants though, not alone. In the summer I'm wearing my leathers, in the winter it's textile.

If I'm going on a quick trip out to eat I may wear them alone - well I've done that once I think.

Yeah, Draggin's (I have 5 pairs) have lasted me longer than any brand I've tried. I wear em' all day at work. Two pairs are 5 years old come June 08, and one pair just started getting a hole where my wallet goes (probably woulda' happened sooner, but the wallet stays pretty flat)............. :thumbsup:

I'm totally OK with the PRO of Draggin jeans , have 2 prs. Note - I find the ' standard' size too tight in legs, seems to bunch up in back of knee . . . and no room for extra pads. i like the ' relaxed fit - much better as far as room in Knee for pro ( I like the aerostich pads with fiber ouside ) and still not pinch the knee. And I find jeans flow thru a lot of air, a big + .

For long rides I've mostly switched to hiking shorts with vented overpants ( Alpinestars ) so I can stop, quickly take off the ' Pro ' and go for a hike. thou I think the kevlar coverage area of Draggin Jeans is maybe twice the area of the flow thru ' motorcycle gear'.

I'm a wimp and don't ride down here unless it is 65-75 degrees :blink:

Yeh jeans are extremely cooler over just about anything else, but yeh dont crash in them.

I wouldnt mind a pair of those draggin jeans myself , and think about it sometimes when my knee is hanging out exposed

• 2 weeks later...

OK. I guess its' time for a little review on these DG jeans. First off, excellent experience with ordering from DG. ordered on Sat. came on Thursday. Second, excellent build quality and materials. The denim is thick and woven tightly, double stitching, and of course the Kevlar in the butt, hips, and knees. I ordered the normal size I wear in jeans and they ran true to that. On the first ride, I went and bought a pair of Alpine Stars knee armor for $25. They fit under the jeans just fine and were comfortable all day. I am looking forward to wearing them again and to work occasianally. The best part about these jeans is that they are made in the good ole USA (denim, zippers and snaps too)!

If you want to see them on, check out the pics from the FLAF ride in the SW section.

• Member Contributer

OK. I guess its' time for a little review on these DG jeans. First off, excellent experience with ordering from DG. ordered on Sat. came on Thursday. Second, excellent build quality and materials. The denim is thick and woven tightly, double stitching, and of course the Kevlar in the butt, hips, and knees. I ordered the normal size I wear in jeans and they ran true to that. On the first ride, I went and bought a pair of Alpine Stars knee armor for $25. They fit under the jeans just fine and were comfortable all day. I am looking forward to wearing them again and to work occasianally. The best part about these jeans is that they are made in the good ole USA (denim, zippers and snaps too)!

If you want to see them on, check out the pics from the FLAF ride in the SW section.

BTW, they're on sale/discontinued at Aerostitch now, for $35. Only a few sizes left though. http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?produ...tm_medium=email

the DG are made about 50 miles from my house. i intend to ride over there some time soon and buy some jeans. for those that dont know, the DG's have a gusset in the crotch giving you more room and preventing binding....

would you mind posting a link on the knee armor? i am curious what type you found for $25.00!

the DG are made about 50 miles from my house. i intend to ride over there some time soon and buy some jeans. for those that dont know, the DG's have a gusset in the crotch giving you more room and preventing binding....

would you mind posting a link on the knee armor? i am curious what type you found for $25.00!

These are the ones! They're called the reflex. Probably for motocross, but I don't give a s%$t. I just happened to find them at the local Cycle Gear store. There were others too, but these seemed to be well made and very comfy. And for $25 bucks? Worth it!

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Alpine...rd--507597.html

Archived