Supersport Fender For The Vfr (pic Heavy!)

SEBSPEED

Steve! It's done! :goofy: :beer:

Steve (KeystoneVFR) recently contacted me about doing some custom work on his fender, and here's the end result, I think it turned out really well!

He sent me some pics of what he wanted, which translated to something very close to this:

2-7-08002.jpg

2-7-08003.jpg

Then along came Dutchy with his motorcycle show picture-post, including this shot of the new '08 CBR1000RR, and Steve and I both thought that a translation of this fender's design onto the VFR fender would look best:

08CBR1000.jpg

So, I moved some of my striping tape around, and cut the first side to look like this:

Stevesfender001.jpg

(note, the first cuts were made to a 1/8" masking line only)

I made the fender symmetrical by creating a stencil with masking tape on the first side, as shown above, then moved the stencil to the other side like so:

Stevesfender005.jpg

To get this end result:

Stevesfender006.jpg

Stevesfender007.jpg

Stevesfender008.jpg

Stevesfender009.jpg

It's in a box now, and will be on it's way back to Pennsylvania tomorrow evening, and Steve's assured me that installed-on-bike pics will be posted shortly after its arrival! I hope you like it as much as I enjoyed cutting it up Steve! :beer:

ps - I used a selection airtools including a high-speed cutoff wheel, a fist(angle) grinder with a 60 grit disc and a fine 3M scotch-brite Roloc disc, and a sanding drum mounted in a straight die grinder to clean up the two large curves on the forward end of the fender. Also used my benchtop belt sander to straighten up the long flat edges.

Stevesfender015.jpg

Total time invested, start to finish, about 3hrs. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Seb, nice job on the front fender! :thumbsup:

I have always looked at my front fender with a certain amount of disdain and wondered what it would look like slimmer. <_<

I now have the answer: KILLER!

I guess its just a personal preference as far as the asthetics go, but when you posted the first cut picture, I couldn't help but think that the front cut looked perfect and that the back has too much material removed.

I think when I try this mod, I shall leave more material on the back and try to carry the front cut line towards the back so it looks more continuous, because it is more pleasing to my eyes that way.

Anyhow, Travis if you decided to make a fender product, I might be interested, depending on its shape, material, etc. (How non-committed does THAT sound? Secretly in my head, I'm trying to justify a sweet looking C/F front fender.)

Of course, the SIMPLEST way to get a nicer front fender is to do a Frankenviffer conversion! :salesman:

I just don't know if it is worth the money spent when I'm no peg-scraping corner carver. Kinda seems over kill for me as I'm generally a pretty relaxed pace when I ride.

Besides, I'm trying to save up for a 6th gen Toro-charger when it becomes available........

• Member Contributer

Okay, here's what I've got so far. For starters, the reason the picture quality isn't all that great is because I covered the flash with my finger (when I used the flash, the pictures came out too bright.) As you can see, I've got one side done. The other side should be done tomorrow. I think I've done a decent job so far but once that LBS thing is bolted onto these little black areas, it's going to look kind of busy anyway.

In case anybody is wondering, Seb gave me a few pointers on how to approach this little paint job (thanks, Seb!). I used some satin black high temperature engine and case paint because I had a rattle can of it lying around (from when I painted my left disk brake.) I'll be using it to paint my right disk brake and hope to have some pictures up soon.

I got to hand it to Seb. He did a great job cutting my fender. I knew it would turn out good, but not that good.

DSCN0068.jpg

DSCN0070.jpg

• Member Contributer

Update: The fender's done and ready to put on. I've already gotten one coat of paint on the rotors and will put on a couple more over the next couple days. Expect pictures Saturday in the p.m. or Sunday a.m.

• Member Contributer

The rotors are done. Although the paint has dried, the directions said to let it cure overnight. I'll install them and the fender tomorrow and post some pics. I sure hope it looks good.

DSCN0133.jpg

DSCN0143.jpg

• Member Contributer

It's all done! Since we've still got snow and ice on the ground, I only rode it around a little on the premises where I keep my bike. Those of you that followed my thread about the rotor issue may want to know it appears that I'll be okay. However, I'd still like to do some "real" testing on it.

I welcome all comments. Personally, I like the way it all came out.

BEFORE

DSCN0021.jpg

AFTER

DSCN0145.jpg

BEFORE

Picture.jpg

AFTER

DSCN0144.jpg

• Member Contributer
:thumbsup: I love it. I'd be in for one if you guy's wanted to do it for me.

Thank you. You'll have to touch base with Seb. Although it was my idea, he did all the work.

The front part of the fender was patterned after the '08 CBR1000RR while the rear was patterned after the 1098. I really like the way it came out. It definitely gives the bike a leaner look up front.

CBR1k.jpg

duc1098.jpg

• Member Contributer
How about a frt. shot? I'm still undecided.

Ditto. Looks too little. Just my .02.

If I could have Seb do it over again, I'd have him leave a little more on the back. However, he did what I told him to do and I'm still pleased with it. I'll take pics at various angles tomorrow.

• Member Contributer

If I do it, (Again, to each there own), prolly go less intrusive, and more for a smaller front to accentuate the fwd. motion look of the bike, and still keep coverage.

red-1.jpg

Just me.

Seb., GREAT JOB!

Steve, fantastic touch-up on the edges, and black. (Not to mention the rotors). :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

These pics were taken in the 5'x10' storage unit I keep my bike in. I didn't want to pull my bike out because it's raining and, believe it or not, my bike is kind of clean right now.

DSCN0147.jpg

DSCN0149.jpg

DSCN0148.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here's an update for those of you wondering about foul weather coverage. The fender is still doing its job, just getting a little more spray, but not much more.

Pics were taken after Steve rode 4hrs on wet roads to get to my house for his brake line mod:

Stevescustomlines2015.jpg

Stevescustomlines2021.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Siggy, you should have your fender any day now! :warranty:

Supersport Fender Version 2.0, for sigsauer:

sigsauersfender.jpg

sigsauersfender1.jpg

sigsauersfender2.jpg

As you can see, I left a little more on the rear portion of the fender this time around, I can't wait to see how it looks on the bike!

Here's a new angle of Steve's bike:

Stevescustomlines2022.jpg

Guest sigsauer33

TO ALL BE CARE FULL!!!! smile.gif

I put my new "SEB FENDER" on and moved the bike to the driveway to get ready to ride (this would be the first ride in 3 months since I was deployed) as soon as I put my helmet on the bike just fell to the left. I was not touching it and it was on the kick stand for about 10 min before it fell. I broke the clutch lever, broke the side view mirror and bent my throttle meister, as well as a lot of scratches to the side of the bike. But nothing to the new fender:) I hope this new mod was not bad luck for me!

I put my new "SEB FENDER" on and moved the bike to the driveway to get ready to ride (this would be the first ride in 3 months since I was deployed) as soon as I put my helmet on the bike just fell to the left. I was not touching it and it was on the kick stand for about 10 min before it fell. I broke the clutch lever, broke the side view mirror and bent my throttle meister, as well as a lot of scratches to the side of the bike. But nothing to the new fender:) I hope this new mod was not bad luck for me!

WHAT??!!??

I really hope you're joking Patrick... :fing02:

Methinks the lighter fender caused the bike to overbalance to the right and tip off the stand. wink.gif

See my .sig to learn why this mod should never have been done.

srsly, sux your bike fell over. sad.gif

• Member Contributer

Dude, that really blows. The good news is it shouldn't be difficult to replace the parts inexpensively (not if you use eBay, anyway.) My right mirror has a few scratches. If you can only find a set, let me know and I'll buy the right one from you. Best of luck to you (and if it makes you feel any better, things like that happen to all of us sooner or later.)

THANKS for serving our country.

That really does blow, especially that you can't ride on/off the base without both mirrors! :ph34r:

Look on the bright side, at least the fender is ok! :biggrin: (and you too, of course!)

Good luck getting her back to 100%!

• Member Contributer

I'm glad I caught this thread. I'll have to do something like this. I dropped a jack handle right on the front of my fender yesterday and broke off a 4 cm chunk (whoa... :biggrin: I consider myself lucky, although I thought I was nowhere within range of the bike). I was considering whether or not to cut it back or try to repair it. Thanks to you I have the confidence that cutting it will work. I'll post up pics when done.

as soon as I put my helmet on the bike just fell to the left.

Clearly this is the helmets fault, and it should be fired! :biggrin:

I mean, that's a bummer. :laugh:

Fender looks good Seb. I could use a new one, since mine is cracked by both top mounting bolts.

Seems some asshat mechanic removed the reflectors but didn't put a washer in there to fill the space. :cool:

I took my reflectors off the minute I rolled my bike into the garage for the first time, they lasted 19 miles... no crack in my fender yet?

All I know is mine cracked in a couple rides or so after reflectors off. :laugh:

And the black ABS cement works, but is none too attractive. :biggrin: