5th Gen Solo Rack In Progress!

KanadianKen

Lots of 6th Gen owners have now received their Solo Racks to which they have mounted their Givi or Honda topboxes above the passenger seat - versus out back behind the bike. So far - lots of pleased people.

Today the process officially began for the 5th Gen owners wanting the same type of mounting rack. Spent the morning at Dude's and used his 5th gen as the test mule...... Thanks Gary - but I'm still wondering where the beer was?

Should have an actual prototype in the next couple 3 weeks. Once that is made I can get back to Dude's bike, test fit it, and then proceed to make up a batch for those interested.

For those interested, please simply post up in this thread and let me know you are thinking about getting one of these. I need to commit to the laser cutter how many pieces I need made - and I don't want to disappoint anyone by not ordering enough. You are not held to your interest - I'm simply testing for a rough number.

****** Additionally - this Solo Rack will only work on 5th gens, and you will not be able to use your tail seat cowl, unless you cut it to fit over the rack's mounting area. *******

If you have a Staintune like Dude does, this product will absolutely work for you.

I'll post the CAD drawings sometime either tomorrow - or later this week for you all to critique.

Looking forward to finally providing the 5th genners the Solo Rack. Thanks for your patience!!

Price will be between $105 and $120 Canadian (need to get final quotes for the product, along with the bolts and spacers I need to supply). It will be powder coated black, and will have some cool graphic revisions........ :thumbsup:

Heres a glimpse at the fancy computer generated Solo Racks for the 5th Gen......

solo-5th-2.jpg

solo-5th-1.jpg

Should be about 3 weeks before I can ship any - still have to get a prototype ready, and test fit it to a 5th Gen to make sure all is well with the bends, and the overall fit.

Cost is still unknown as this one will have several extra bends and is a little different design. I will update as soon as I can.

I think its gonna look pretty good!!

• Member Contributer

This is the thread I've been waiting for! Sign me up for one, please.

One concern - we are having the rear portion of the seat custom fit for Jalene's bottom like the front was for mine. How much clearance (over a stock seat) will the mount have, so we can take that into account?

Oh, and when would you like the money??

Thanks-

Keith

Here is a picture of Dude's topbox mocked in place over the templated 5th gen Solo Rack.

IMG_7409_10_1.jpg

He has a two piece Sargent seat - but the stock seat will work as well. You will be able to remove the stock seat without removing the Solo Rack.

I have a 5th Gen seat cowl coming to me - to which I will modify and make a template for those that wish to get an extra and cut it for use with the Solo Rack.

I do not want to ask for anyone's money - until this part is perfect it will not be going anywhere. Once the prototype meets the design needs along with functionality and aesthetics - it will then be manufactured, powder coated, and then offerred for sale.

Do not be put off by the height of the Solo Rack. When the top box is installed, it WILL be below your shoulder blades, and I GUARANTEE that you will not even know it is there. I've felt virtually no wind resistance with it in place on my 2002 - and yes - I've tested it at relatively high speeds...... (Rode from Toronto to Deals Gap last summer - and it was not even noticed!!!)

• Member Contributer

:thumbsup: This rack is going to look great even without a topbox installed. :thumbsup: Glad I could help out Ken. No beer at 8:30a.m but I did supply coffee and Bagels :warranty: As a side note there will be some room between the rack and seat to stuff a rainsuit or something similar.

• Member Contributer

Oooooo :salesman:

Interest is here, I'll have to justify the expense (need sprockets and chain this year), and we're looking for a new(er) house.

Ugh.

I'll have to start filling my piggy bank!

-travis

Forget the rack...

Where can I get some bitchin' tribal graphics like those on that top box??? :goofy: :goofy:

I wonder if they come with a matching mullet? :pissed:

Brings a tear to my eye...that was the first song the bride and I danced to at our wedding....

Did you consummate your vows looking through the t-tops and was it oh so romantic? :blink:

• Member Contributer
Forget the rack...

Where can I get some bitchin' tribal graphics like those on that top box??? :blink: :goofy:

What took you so long. Those tribal graphics are one of :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Wooohooo.. for that kind of engineering and work, I am interested!! I will just have to get a topbox now... looking as we speak.. :thumbsup:

Archived