Micron Discontinued For 4th Gen + Buyer Beware

Guest SunchVFR

Guest SunchVFR

Hey guys and gals. First off I just want to say thanks to the great community and excellent info on this forum. My recent experience has inspired me to finally post a message. Like many I wanted to add some balls to the bike and annoy my neighbors so I decided on a high right oval Micron slip on from Exoticsportbike.com. Like an idiot I was drawn in by their low prices and did not research the company properly before ordering. Anyway, an internet search would paint a much grander picture than I could. Long and short of it... both uk and usa Micron customer services tell me that they don't make the high slip ons for the Naca Ducts anymore. Also don't ever buy anything from Exoticsportbike.com. I don't think it is a total scam but with a few exceptions they have proved themselves to be either incompetent or shady.

Happy riding

Ryan

• Member Contributer
Hey guys and gals. First off I just want to say thanks to the great community and excellent info on this forum. My recent experience has inspired me to finally post a message. Like many I wanted to add some balls to the bike and annoy my neighbors so I decided on a high right oval Micron slip on from Exoticsportbike.com. Like an idiot I was drawn in by their low prices and did not research the company properly before ordering. Anyway, an internet search would paint a much grander picture than I could. Long and short of it... both uk and usa Micron customer services tell me that they don't make the high slip ons for the Naca Ducts anymore. Also don't ever buy anything from Exoticsportbike.com. I don't think it is a total scam but with a few exceptions they have proved themselves to be either incompetent or shady.

Happy riding

Ryan

Forget Micron.... Go Akrapovic!!!! :thumbsup:

bush2.jpg

Truth be told, Akra donot make a 4th Gen set.... it took some cutting and welding a GSXR750 midpipe....

HPIM5464.jpg

Hi and welcome to VFRD.

Micron has got to have the worst Costumer Service as many have expressed here including me.

Be sure to provide some info or example of why this seller has proved themselves to be either incompetent or shady.

:pissed:

• Member Contributer

I had one on my 4th Gen. Sounded great. mikeporter1 just wrecked the bike and I believe he said the pipe was still salvageable.

You might ping him and ask what condition it is in and whether he wants to sell it.

Man, that's an ugly weld! :rolleyes:

WHAT????

That's not nice or true.<_<

Come on Seb, my welds are ugly this one is nice!

I apologize, it really isn't that bad, and I was a bit harsh. I don't know what the fit up looked like, or what the conditions were. I'm just used to seeing airplane parts, I guess.

And on top of that, I'm not a perfect welder, either.

Here's a couple of my samples from back when I was practicing to get my certs.

stuff005.jpg

stuff007.jpg

Hi and welcome to VFRD.

Micron has got to have the worst Costumer Service as many have expressed here including me.

Be sure to provide some info or example of why this seller has proved themselves to be either incompetent or shady.

:rolleyes:

Thanks. Well since you asked....

Shadiness:

- 25 complaints on BBB

- not accredited due to failure to respond to BBB inquiries

- no address listed on website

- 20% cancellation fees regardless of situation.

- $75 fee for chargebacks in a dispute even if the order was never received.

My story

I ordered the part back in early September. The part was supposed to ship in 5-10 days. I contacted them about every two weeks after that and kept receiving the same response, "it will be a little longer". Although they say that they will notify you soon after ordering if the item is on backorder or unavailable they did no such thing. 3 months later no part and an email that the part is discontinued (turns out to be true). I go to cancel and they make you sign a form authorizing them to charge you 20% for not doing anything, refunding the rest by what ever means they please, and charging you for any disputes. The only way I could get in touch with them was through email and live chat which was fortunate compared to other stories I have read on other bike forums. I modified the form after they authorized a full refund, then was told that too much time had passed and that I should accept $440 of store credit. After checking with my credit card company and replying to them mentioning the BBB, they made a second attempt. Apparently they didn't realize I charged it with Discover. They appear to be making an effort, they are just not any good at following through... It's not over till it hits my card.

Forget Micron.... Go Akrapovic!!!! :thumbsup:

That's a sweet 4th gen. I may have to go custom as the only high mount that I can find is staintune... a little too shiny for my taste.

I had one on my 4th Gen. Sounded great. mikeporter1 just wrecked the bike and I believe he said the pipe was still salvageable.

You might ping him and ask what condition it is in and whether he wants to sell it.

Thanks I'll give him a try.... once I get my money back from ExoticSportbike

• Member Contributer

Shadiness:

- 25 complaints on BBB

My story

I ordered the part back in early September. The part was supposed to ship in 5-10 days. I contacted them about every two weeks after that and kept receiving the same response, "it will be a little longer". Although they say that they will notify you soon after ordering if the item is on backorder or unavailable they did no such thing. 3 months later no part and an email that the part is discontinued (turns out to be true). I go to cancel and they make you sign a form authorizing them to charge you 20% for not doing anything, refunding the rest by what ever means they please, and charging you for any disputes. The only way I could get in touch with them was through email and live chat which was fortunate compared to other stories I have read on other bike forums. I modified the form after they authorized a full refund, then was told that too much time had passed and that I should accept $440 of store credit. After checking with my credit card company and replying to them mentioning the BBB, they made a second attempt. Apparently they didn't realize I charged it with Discover. They appear to be making an effort, they are just not any good at following through... It's not over till it hits my card.

Sorry to hear of your problems. Good luck on getting it sorted out and thanks for the heads up.

Apparently they didn't realize I charged it with Discover. They appear to be making an effort, they are just not any good at following through... It's not over till it hits my card.

This is why I love my VISA card. One phone call to the seller in which I told them that I would be reversing the charge through my credit card company, and one more to VISA to have them reverse the charge. Visa emails/faxes me a form that I sign that is basically me putting my signature to a statement that I have not received product that I was charged for. I email/fax it back, and the money is in my account a day later.

No shady dealers get away with crap like that in my world.

• Member Contributer
HPIM5464.jpg

Man, that's an ugly weld! :rolleyes:

Doesn't look that ugly to me, but why didn't they just grind it down after so it wouldn't show at all? (This is not a trick question!)

Ciao,

Hi and welcome to VFRD.

:rolleyes:

Shadiness:

- 25 complaints on BBB

My story

Thanks for sharing, good to have the facts like you shared to help others avoid similar problems.

Hope you get it handled in as satisfactory way soon! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
HPIM5464.jpg

Man, that's an ugly weld! :unsure:

Doesn't look that ugly to me, but why didn't they just grind it down after so it wouldn't show at all? (This is not a trick question!)

Ciao,

hhhmm now you mention it..... I never asked them. :unsure:

would the weld not be stronger this way?

Long as the weld is penetrated through, the strength of that weld should be fine if you sanded/ground it out so long as you didn't grind out more than the thickness of the pipe. Of course if you grind out your bead and don't do it right you risk making it look worse. Looks like he might have stuck his tungsten in there too :unsure:

Seb, were those titanium plates you welded? Looks like it. If so it's alot more tricky than SS IMO.

-Paul

Man, that's an ugly weld! :unsure:

Meh, you'll never see it from 6' away. All blown up on a 20" LCD monitor, yeah, it's a little cobby, but I agree with EnZed that if I could weld like that, I'd be happy.

I stick-welded a couple of end-tables last year, 24"x24" out of 1/8"x 4" mild steel flatbar, 2x2x1/8" angle and 2x1/8" flatbar, and am happy to report that after copious amounts of grinding, sandblasting and powdercoating, they look terriffic! :thumbsup:

Maybe I'll even post up a pic tomorrow! :unsure:

Man, that's an ugly weld! :goofy:

Meh, you'll never see it from 6' away. All blown up on a 20" LCD monitor, yeah, it's a little cobby, but I agree with EnZed that if I could weld like that, I'd be happy.

I stick-welded a couple of end-tables last year, 24"x24" out of 1/8"x 4" mild steel flatbar, 2x2x1/8" angle and 2x1/8" flatbar, and am happy to report that after copious amounts of grinding, sandblasting and powdercoating, they look terriffic! :thumbsup:

Maybe I'll even post up a pic tomorrow! :huh:

OK, total thread jack, note the pictures are NOT hosted on VFRd......

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture004.jpg

And the wife picked the colour. It's a hammered powdercoat finish. The tiles are natural slate with a clear protective sealant.

[/thread jack]

• Member Contributer
Picture004.jpg

"Interesting" way of joining wires.... you do that on your VFR as well :huh:

or is that a switch???

hehehehehehehehehehe!!! :goofy:

or is that a switch???

Actually, it's a tag, probably a warning of some sort. I guess we didn't remove it.

Warning: do not be a dumbass with electricity!

• Member Contributer

or is that a switch???

Actually, it's a tag, probably a warning of some sort. I guess we didn't remove it.

Warning: do not be a dumbass with electricity!

phew, my fate in Canuckians is restored!!! :thumbsup:

Archived