Almost Killed Myself Please Help

Guest sigsauer33

• Member Contributer
tread looks fine, no tear marks. profile is not squared off too much

what is that ditch/ridge running down the middle of the front, just off center?

old rubber, bad tire or suspension issue if it is you.....like someone said, check the road to see if there is sand or something in it

It seems to be some sort of mold line from manufacturer. All the Michelin's I've owned had that line just off center. One thing I noticed after using 3 sets of Roads is that they took forever to warm up when it was cold outside. Mine would definitely slip often when it was in the 30's.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Were you on the gas or off the gas? If you were on the gas, I'd suspect road conditions. :warranty:

• Member Contributer
That could be a possibility, it is about 50 here and the turn that I am talking about is about 1.5 miles away from my work

Willing to bet that is main cause. Lower your pressure, adjust the suspension, when the time comes, Parelli Corsa III's. On a side note, as far as I'm concerned, your WAY past your ride time, on that seem. I'm wondering if you have a bum front tire. Speculation: the manufacturing process broke down. I'm wondering if it got too heated, at the seem, and caused the composition to be too hard.

IMHO, THAT SEEM SHOULD NOT BE THERE. That much, I can say it true.

• Member Contributer

What tire pressures are you running? Try checking with a different gauge also.

The PRoads suck (IMO), but they aren't THAT bad. It sounds to me like your tires are not up to temperature. Either too much air, or you are not riding long/hard enough for the tires to warm up.

• Member Contributer
Any ideas!

Checking your tires and suspension are always a good call but you'll get

more out of knowing and practicing the correct riding techniques...

You want to enter the corner with your arms bent... hold your weight off the

bars by pinching your knees against dents in the tank... if you enter the corner

with arms stiff you transfer to much weight to the front and it will want to tuck

during tight turns...

Adjust your entrance speed low enough by just rolling off throttle

so you are able to start rolling on throttle the instant you apply

a counter steering input...

Once you begin to roll on the throttle roll it on evenly and smoothly

and constantly throughout the remainder of the turn...

Your goal is not to go quick for quick sake... you want to establish

40% front 60% rear weight bias... you want to have your suspension

working in the sweet range... you want your bike to hold it's line...

You want your bike stable as possible so you'll be smooth and not

trigger any survival reactions to chop the throttle...

I was taking a hard right turn going about 32-38 and when half way into the turn the front tire slid out on me.

I also took off those extended pegs off the bottom of my foot pegs ( I was tired of hitting them), maybe I am leaning to far for the bike! Any ideas!

+1 on cold tires. And I am not sure if PR offer enough lean angle, maybe get a set of PP.

Yes it should, it is a carbon ring. something to do with getting rid of static electricity that builds up when riding.

• Member Contributer
+1 on cold tires.

My experience has been that you're more likely to spin up the rear than tuck the front on cold tires...

312438067_e518c7da57_o.jpg

• Member Contributer

Or just go easy on it, come to T-mac, and listen to the long timers. I'm always picking-up tips-tricks. The day you stop learning is the day you become useless. No one here will ask you to prove anything. Be safe is always top of the list.

I've never had P.R.'s. Some swear by them. If they're happy,..cool. Like I posted, CorsaIII's. You will not be sorry.

BLS knows his s#!t. Following those tips, won't hurt you, at all.

P.S. You're from the core. Nothing to prove to yourself, about being better. But, not at the cost of you, or your family. It will come together in it's time.

Guess all I'm saying, is don't leave your comfort zone.

Signed,

Slow-a$$ed bastage, who will ride tomorrow.

• Member Contributer

Yes it should, it is a carbon ring. something to do with getting rid of static electricity that builds up when riding.

Really? Thanks for the correction. News to me. I've never heared of that. Seems pretty predominant. Seriously, thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
Or just go easy on it, come to T-mac, and listen to the long timers. I'm always picking-up tips-tricks. The day you stop learning is the day you become useless. No one here will ask you to prove anything. Be safe is always top of the list.

I've never had P.R.'s. Some swear by them. If they're happy,..cool. Like I posted, CorsaIII's. You will not be sorry.

BLS knows his s#!t. Following those tips, won't hurt you, at all.

P.S. You're from the core. Nothing to prove to yourself, about being better. But, not at the cost of you, or your family. It will come together in it's time.

Guess all I'm saying, is don't leave your comfort zone.

Signed,

Slow-a$$ed bastage, who will ride tomorrow.

.......BIG DITTO on this......riding motorcycles only has to be fun...nothing more, nothing less........... :thumbsup:

I am running 41 PSI in each tire, as for the tires, I am ok with the tires but I think that I want to switch to the Conti Sport Attack tire, I need something that is as aggressive as me. By no means am I riding beyond my ability. I have been to many Motorcycle courses and am very comfortable hitting twisties! any one got any input on my PSI?

tread looks fine, no tear marks. profile is not squared off too much

what is that ditch/ridge running down the middle of the front, just off center?

old rubber, bad tire or suspension issue if it is you.....like someone said, check the road to see if there is sand or something in it

It seems to be some sort of mold line from manufacturer. All the Michelin's I've owned had that line just off center. One thing I noticed after using 3 sets of Roads is that they took forever to warm up when it was cold outside. Mine would definitely slip often when it was in the 30's.

Same here!

• Member Contributer
I am running 41 PSI in each tire, as for the tires, I am ok with the tires but I think that I want to switch to the Conti Sport Attack tire, I need something that is as aggressive as me. By no means am I riding beyond my ability. I have been to many Motorcycle courses and am very comfortable hitting twisties! any one got any input on my PSI?

**flame suit on**

I think you answered your own question.

you're 170, right?

Try 36/40 pre-warm :thumbsup:

Good deal on your ride experience, too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Of course, Mother Honda says 36f/42r

I run my front higher than recemmended, just because I like the sharper steering feel BUT, in cold temps, you have to realize that you are going to have less traction available because the tires don't flex as much with higher pressures and therefore do not generate as much heat.

Lots of folks run their tires at lower pressures during winter to compensate, just know that your steering will "feel" heavier.

Not to bad for only 24, but as you all stated before, you can never stop learning, and I look at things as even if something goes wrong as long as you learned from it it is not a failure! I will re adjust my tires tonight to 36/40 I am assuming that you mean 36 front 40 rear.

The PRoads suck (IMO), but they aren't THAT bad. It sounds to me like your tires are not up to temperature. Either too much air, or you are not riding long/hard enough for the tires to warm up.
:wheel: :goofy:

I found the P.Roads did take forever to warm up (and were slippery tilll then) even in summer heat, never mind now.

Even when warm, they weren't a confidence inspiring tire.

Shame they're not worn out, then you wouldn't feel so bad when you replace them.

Sounds like you're a sporty rider, go get yerself some sporty tires, Pilot Roads ain't them.

Anyone got any idea on a sporty tire for me, I am thinking the conti sport attack but not sure, you all are the subject matter experts so please let me know!

What about cold tires and cold weather?

+1.gif bingo...cold in the south yesterdy and today

I do love my Dunlop Qualifiers... super sticky and quick warm up just dont expect mega miles out of them. Last time I saw the Dunlop rep he recomended 36/40 for the VFR and 34/36 for the TLR for street riding. YMMV

• Member Contributer

Yep, pressure too high. Drop that down to 32 or so. The tire will heat up faster, and at 32 will wear out a bit faster so you can put something other than a rim protector on. I would recommend Pilot Powers.

• Member Contributer
Not to bad for only 24, but as you all stated before, you can never stop learning, and I look at things as even if something goes wrong as long as you learned from it it is not a failure! I will re adjust my tires tonight to 36/40 I am assuming that you mean 36 front 40 rear.

Yup. You may even lower, as you see fit, as Jeremy suggests. 36/40 is a good starting point, where you shouldn't have to worry too much about that incident happening again. (Not to say, you shouldn't always be aleart).

24? Sweet. It took me till about,....errrr....last year to become a real human. I like your attitude. Your wife is a lucky gal. You'll fit in, here VERY well.

Her lucky? Hell i still do not know why she is with me, i think that it is because the Marine corps will pay her 600,000 if I die, that is why she does not care when i volunteer for deployments! But yes if most of you do not know I am 24 and have been riding for over 9 years now! And am always looking for people to tell me what I am doing is stupid so I can learn! I love it when I am wrong!

• Member Contributer

Then you shouldn't have lost the front. I'd suspect road conditions. Then set-up. Then rider input (too fast for conditions or stiff on bars). Then mechanical. :wheel:

Archived