190 Rear Tire

Guest samizx7

Guest samizx7

hey guys, i know it has been asked before but i was wondering if i could use 190 on the back, i just need a tire that will hold me for a week or two, and local guy have one for sale. so can i use it or does it have major problems, other then handleing

• Forum CEO

no I cannot recommend it, you will deflect the profile and get a multi radius blob that feels odd when leaned over. 180 is what the wheel is designed for, some manufacturers have tires that can fit a 190 into a 5.5 inch wheel but who know what they are. It just pinches the tire too much and you get a balloon for a tire.

hey guys, i know it has been asked before but i was wondering if i could use 190 on the back, i just need a tire that will hold me for a week or two, and local guy have one for sale. so can i use it or does it have major problems, other then handleing

Real question is, is it wise to compromise the handling of your bike even for just a couple of weeks. I dunno, but it might translate into a safety issue?? I'd wait the two weeks and get the proper size tire for your bike IIWY. JMO.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

hhmm yup.. unless you carve corners at high speed it will be fine. i have one.. and use them all the time.. however.. my ride consisits of the dc beltway and i 95.. no knee dragging or 150 mph peg scraping.

145mph at 3 am on 295 suites me fine.

You know I have been using both 180's & 190's (both 55 series) on my F4i track bike (same 5.5" rear wheel) and have not felt any real noticeable difference in handling(other then 2 crashes, j/k :goofy: )

The biggest difference I notice is the effect on gearing and the 190's seem to wear longer???? :unsure:

Just thought I'd stoke the fire! :wheel:

• 1 month later...

It might just be my imagination, but we've been using Metzler Sportec M-1's on our bikes for the last few years. This tire seems to measure-up a bit narrower for the same section width.

For example, the 180/55R-17 made by Dunlop looks absolutely huge on his ZX9R. A Sportec M-1 version of the same size looks appreciably narrower. He's been running the 190/50R-17 on the ZX9R and it seems very comparable to the 180/55R-17 Dunlop. Still wears out very quickly however...

For the VFR, I'm still running the 180 Dunlop for now.

WarrLac

• Member Contributer

I got a 190 for the same price as a 180 so I thought I would be cool cuz the salesman told me "all the guys with CBR 600s do it." Kidding aside, I can't tell the difference, but I am hardly a tire shredder or even a tire tester. I'll probably go back to 180 next time.

I ran a 190 once, didn't have any problems at all. I'm not good at taking feedback from my bike though. For example my suspension is trashed but I just adjust accordingly and ride the piss out of it, I would probably be amazing on a machine that worked right that I did not have to compensate for.

• Member Contributer
I would probably be amazing on a machine that worked right that I did not have to compensate for.

wow, thats how I feel too!!!

Archived