Modify Your Headlights 5th gen

HispanicSlammer

• Forum CEO

Rewire your headlamps

There are 2 headlamp relays one for hi one for low.

Switch circuit, wired to the handle bar switch

HI beam switch Blue - Green

Lo beams switch White - Green, Green is a ground wire connected to all the lights turn signals ect.

Light ciruit, wired to the lamps

Hi beams relay Blue/Black - Black/Red

Lo beams relay White/Black - Black/Red, Black/Red, is connected to the fuse

wire.gif

Rewired the headlights to get them both to fire at once, added a switch to disable the circuit so it works normally when turned off

rewire.gif you really cant see.

l1.jpg

l2.jpg

relay.jpg

I used a 30 amp relay and some wire taps, you can see the bulb keeps the elements

seperated well with a little cup, I think they will not burn out if used sparingly

Testing the wire harness, used my multi tester to check that all the connections are clean.

l3.jpg

After I tested it, I buttoned up the whole wire assembly with zip ties and

electrical tape, made sure nothing would work loose with riding.

Part 2

Testing the switch and the indicator light

l4.jpg

l5.jpg

here are some pics I took of the bike in the dark, see the difference the mod makes, I dont recommend running the circuit without the motor running and the idle cranked abit. I did and my battery died at Coors lol.

Lo beams

night1.JPG

Hi beams on

night2.JPG

With both fireing

night3.JPG

• 5 months later...
  • Forum CEO

Nope works like a charm, man you really dug this one up from the dead! I posted this last July!  It has a switch that you can turn it off or on, plus I dont ride with my brights on! maybe daytime but not superbrite!

I have a voltmeter on the dash and when it turn it on its right about 13.5 volts, which is about normal for my bike.

Guest Montrealer

Does this mean that in the stock 98 VFR, when switching on the hi beams, the low beams turns off?  That the hi and low filaments in the bulbs were not designed to be ON at the same time?

Brendan

• Forum CEO

Brendan,

Yes that is true, all you get on the hi beams is the same 45 watt output as lo.  its just aimed differently. Take a look at the bulb in the picture see how they use a diffuser cup to spread the light out for the lo beam.

My mod just turns them both on at the same time, its much cheaper than buying a set of outboard lights and gives a much wider field of view with greater depth.  You can upgrade the bulbs to 55x55 watts and get even better lighting I did and the voltmeter does not drop significantly.  

Once I had my heated vest on hi, the heated grips on hi, and my headlights duel lighted and the volt meter stayed at 13.5volts, no dipping of light when I stopped at a stop light either. It was really cold out and dark that night, my visor was practically iced over. 30 degrees out but still dry thank God, no snow or icy conditions. Worked well, out on a lonley highway heading home from Denver, nobody on the road but me.

• 6 months later...
  • Forum CEO

After using this mod for over 2 years it still works great, no blown fuses, I have yet to have it on superhi - vest pumping -and engine fan on, cause well its too cold out to need the engine fan.  

Whenever I am riding behind sombody I keep it on lo unless I really cant see, cause it blows up their mirrors with blinding light.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Wow these posts are wayyy old, but the other day one of my low beam bulbs blew out on my '02. ?I actually mis-read this post by Miguel, thinking that Miguel was saying that only one of the filaments are used in the low-beam bulb.

Anyway it got me looking at my lights on my VTEC model. ?Turns out that on these bikes, indeed only one filament is used in the low-beam bulb, and of course the high beam is a separate bulb. ?Now there is some definite scope here for wiring the low beam bulb up to use both the filaments. ?:D

With this wired up to a switch, this will provide some awesome light - the VTEC is awesome already, and that may well be because it does keep both the low and high beam bulbs on when you switch to high, unlike the 5th gen.

Kaldek

• Forum CEO

When I was working on Craigs bike I noticed that the low beam is just a standard H4 headlight that only uses one filiment of two.  The connector does not even have provisions to connect the other filiment.  

If you wanted to connect the other filiment of the H4 bulbs you would have to buy new connectors with 3 wires instead of 2, I am sure they can be purchased at most auto supply stores.  It is a standard part,  remove the OEM connector splice in the new one, connect the leads and the ground.  

Then you would need some sort of switch to activate the third circuit and a new headlamp relay switch, one that activates off the Highbeam like my system does, so that when you turn on the hi beams you activate the third cirucut and get triple lighting.  I would recommend you buy a voltmeter to monitor the voltage drop in the battery when using the new circuit.  The alternator on the 02 seems a bit weak at low rpm's

It would be similar to the wire system I came up with with just a few extra parts. splice into the high beam for relay power gorund that, have a switch to turn it on and off, perhaps an LED to indicate on the dash when the circuit is on like I do.  Splice into the main power headlamp lead for the third curcuit in the connectors and end with a splice into the common ground wire.

• 3 months later...
Guest Swiffer

Slammer!

When going thru the wiring in this post, it seems to me that both of your headlights are on when "on low beam". That is not the case on my -94 Swedish version (and I'm told it shouldn't). When checking the wiring in Haynes for 94-97 (4 gen) UK model, it looks like both go on when on low beam also.

I looked at your mod partially because I wanted to do a double headlight on low mod, the same swichable way. Now it seems to me that this is standard in other countries.

Am I right or am I just plain undereducated in reading wiring diagrams?

You run a great site by the way,

Swiffer

I always trick my car's healight system to do this. If you will only pull on the high beam switch partially and not let it click. all your filaments, high and low, will be on. this will be noice to do on the bike indeed. does the VTEC have dual fillaments for all it's lgihts? you can have a fantastic flamethrower on the VTEC if you have all four lights with dual filaments on at the same time! :idea: You might have to install a second battery and uprate your charging system to do it though. What about four HIDs! :idea: Now I wish I had a VTEC to tinker around with for this. sad.gif :D  

Beck

95 VFR

• Forum CEO
Slammer!

When going thru the wiring in this post, it seems to me that both of your headlights are on when "on low beam". That is not the case on my -94 Swedish version (and I'm told it shouldn't). When checking the wiring in Haynes for 94-97 (4 gen) UK model, it looks like both go on when on low beam also.

I looked at your mod partially because I wanted to do a double headlight on low mod, the same swichable way. Now it seems to me that this is standard in other countries.

Swiffer

Could you clarify what you mean by both headlights?  I am wondering if your 94 only has one side light up on low, like an RC51 does? Mine does indeed turn on both headlights (both sides) on the low setting, this is standard here, my friend Craig owned a 96 that also had a similar setup - I am sure the 94-97 has the same wireing circuit as my 98 and this mod can be preformed. Just consider that your adding at least 45 watts more draw.  I has to be managed on and off to conserve battery power, never leave them both on without the bike running.

In the US it is law that motorcycle headlights be turned on at all times. I know in Europe and the UK there is a switch to turn off your headlights.

Guest Swiffer
Slammer!

Swiffer

Could you clarify what you mean by both headlights? ?I am wondering if your 94 only has one side light up on low, like an RC51 does? Mine does indeed turn on both headlights (both sides) on the low setting, this is standard here, my friend Craig owned a 96 that also had a similar setup - I am sure the 94-97 has the same wireing circuit as my 98 and this mod can be preformed. Just consider that your adding at least 45 watts more draw. ?I has to be managed on and off to conserve battery power, never leave them both on without the bike running.

In the US it is law that motorcycle headlights be turned on at all times. I know in Europe and the UK there is a switch to turn off your headlights.

Yeah I meant one side lighting up on low. Thanks for your quick reply.

It feels good not to be completely ignorant. I now have to do a"double mod" to make my bike do both sides on low and both filaments on both sides on high. Both swichable like your is, if the Swedish police have a strong feeling about this. Thanks again!

/Swiffer

• 1 month later...
Guest Swiffer
Slammer!

Swiffer

Could you clarify what you mean by both headlights? ?I am wondering if your 94 only has one side light up on low, like an RC51 does? Mine does indeed turn on both headlights (both sides) on the low setting, this is standard here, my friend Craig owned a 96 that also had a similar setup - I am sure the 94-97 has the same wireing circuit as my 98 and this mod can be preformed. Just consider that your adding at least 45 watts more draw. ?I has to be managed on and off to conserve battery power, never leave them both on without the bike running.

Yeah I meant one side lighting up on low. Thanks for your quick reply.

It feels good not to be completely ignorant. I now have to do a"double mod" to make my bike do both sides on low and both filaments on both sides on high. Both swichable like your is, if the Swedish police have a strong feeling about this. Thanks again!

/Swiffer

I'm slow (in most senses of the word) can't you tell?

I think that this question really boils down to "why use a relay instead of just a switch".

But I'll put it like this: Since I want both sides of my headlights to be on when on low beam (which it is not as I mentioned above) I can just put a wire between the low beam wire of the side that is lit and to the low beam connector on the side that isn't. Right? Now, to get it switchable I could just add a switch to this wire, couldn't I? Not having to add a relay to make it switchable?

/Swiffer (confused - but now on a slightly higher level)

• Forum CEO
I'm slow (in most senses of the word) can't you tell?

I think that this question really boils down to "why use a relay instead of just a switch".

But I'll put it like this: Since I want both sides of my headlights to be on when on low beam (which it is not as I mentioned above) I can just put a wire between the low beam wire of the side that is lit and to the low beam connector on the side that isn't. Right? Now, to get it switchable I could just add a switch to this wire, couldn't I? Not having to add a relay to make it switchable?

/Swiffer (confused - but now on a slightly higher level)

The reason for the extra relay is to make a ground circuit that works WITH the hi lo switch on your left handle bar.  

The extra relay is wired to the Hi circuit, and switched to dual burn when you turn on the dual burn switch, that way when you ride past a car and you need lo beams it will switch to low beam only.  The third relay turns off the extra circuit off when the hi lo switch is on lo!  

The way you describing to get lo beam only (with just a manual switch and no extra relay), you would have to switch the main hi lo switch to lo, AND turn off the extra switch for the dual circuit at the same time.  The relay takes out the extra step and makes it automatic.

• 1 year later...
Guest Pinas_guy

Hi,

I was able to accomplished same modification without using a relay and less complicated wiring. The good news? it worked...! All you have to do is add a diode across the LO and HIGH beam switch. Connect the "Cathode" of the diode to the "LO" and "Anode" of the diode to the "HIGH" line and that's basically it. How it work? When the LO line is selected the diode is "open circuit" and when the HIGH line is selected the diode is "close circuit" providing 12 Volts to the LO line relay at the same time with the HIGH line relay. Check the modified circuit below for the wiring diagram. I was able to use a MR501 diode made by Motorola, any diode beefy enough to handle 1 amp and 20 volts should be good enough, the 501 is little over kill. I was able to tuck the diode inside the switch assembly it self on the handle bar, a little tricky but I don't have to pull the front wind shield. This should save you a ton of wiring work.

Pinas_guy

gallery_4817_638_5801.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

wire modified.GIF

Edited by Pinas_guy

• Forum CEO

the relay gives me the option of keeping it off at super high, so I can just flip the switch when I need that little bit extra light. Your solution keeps it on double high all the time, good stuff! and you reused my drawing too cool. I am gonna move this and attach it to the original post for an alternative.

the relay gives me the option of keeping it off at super high, so I can just flip the switch when I need that little bit extra light.  Your solution keeps it on double high all the time, good stuff!  and you reused my drawing too cool.  I am gonna move this and attach it to the original post for an alternative.

You could also just put a switch in instead of the diode. When the switch is open, everything operates normally. When the switch is closed, it is super high. The only thing is that it could be super high in the low OR high position. You wouldn't have to switch on the brights for it to work, just hit the switch.

• 1 month later...
Guest Flailer
You could also just put a switch in instead of the diode. When the switch is open, everything operates normally. When the switch is closed, it is super high. The only thing is that it could be super high in the low OR high position. You wouldn't have to switch on the brights for it to work, just hit the switch.

Both switch and diode would be the hot ticket. That way one could defeat the mod by switching - and both would come on only when high beams are switched, and secondary switch is closed.

Would this work for my 2004 too?

• 9 months later...

Well, I used to do this with my cage lights for running midnight rally recon's when I was still rallying. Out there at night, you can't have enough light.

You definitely want to run the relay in order to keep the current off the switch for the "superbeam". Other wise the switch will get cooked from the current and it will eat up a lot of voltage that could be used to light up the lights.

I planning on doing this mod this winter, along with a flash to pass switch on the left switch pod.

Since I'm currently running the sylvania silverstars and will also be upgrading to a set of Hoen bulbs, has anyone running this mod had a problem with heat in the headlight assembly?

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Digging this one up from the grave. I was working on this last night and here is what I did. The wiring in red is new.

gallery_4338_1246_25245.jpg

Wiring Diagram This is a wiring diagram for having both high and low beams on at the same time.

-This allows the OEM high low switch to go from lows to highs regularly, when the additional switch is open.

-When the addition switch is closed, the low beams function normaly, because the diode prevents the high beam realy from triggering. But when you flip to high beams, you energize both relays. I liked the idea of staying on the low current (signal) side of the relay, and this seemed the simpleist solution. I have part numbers and pictures at home, I'll update this post with that infromation tonight.

Update:

All finished up and Everything works perfectly.

gallery_4338_1246_34384.jpg

Wire Tap Location 1) Low beam connection, - side of diode<br />2) High Beam connection, + side of diode

gallery_4338_1246_242190.jpg

Switch Location 1) Heated grip switch<br />2) Super Bright Light Switch

gallery_4338_1246_123641.jpg

Wiring Finished up All Soldered, heat shrunk and wraped in loom.

gallery_4338_1246_112079.jpg

Wiring Finished up 1) New Switch<br />2) New wiring wraped in loom

Make sure that you have the + side of the diode on the high beam signal wire. If you have these reversed, when the low beam is selected the high will be on and when the high beam is selected only the high will be on. Exactly backwards of what is needed.

The diode I used was from radio shack, got two for $0.69. Part number 1N4001 Micromini Silicon Diode 50V 1A. When checking the voltage on the low beam signal wire through the diode, I have a 1v drop, however this isn't a problem because it is still plenty to trip the relay.

Guest goodhawk

More choices - there is a kit available ( I don't know if for VFR, but probably) that runs direct high output wire Say high grade 12 or 14 ga vs 16 ga standard.? from the battery to the h'lights, so the H'bar switches only get low amp. Supposed to make the H'bar switches last longer, and boost volts at the lights from about 10 to nearer the 13.5 or so that's sortof 'normal' ( apparently the H'bar switches, extra wiring, etc eats up some juice.)

I think Euro bikes are supposed to have only one bulb running - that two side by side bulbs can confuse other drivers into thinking it's a car at long distance, then - oops, it's a bike not that far away . . .( that may be wrong, but I think it's why most bikes nowadays have only half running.??)

I like two bulbs on, both low & high.