Guest jackinthebox4

Olympia AST jacket with the lining

heated grips - soooooooo good

turtle neck sweater.

Darien pants.

Duofold expedition long underwear.

Technic boots.

good for at least 25 degrees and windy.

good enough for over the Delaware Memorial bridge on cold windy days.

snow, fugedaboutit.

the rainpants as overalls is intriguing.

• Member Contributer

I like Darthbling's approach to cold weather riding for your hands and lower arms. Heated handgrips plus handlebar mits. Combined cost of $40 for weather proof sleeves with wool lining to keep the heat on the hands.

Add to that I wear:

Cortech Sport XL will full liner

Moteck Winter gloves

Wool socks over cotton ones

Joe Rocket 2.0 overpants

and the usual under gear such as t-shirts, thermal undies, etc

The worst I have suffered is cold toes and am seriously contemplating some heated socks or insulated riding boots but that is usually only a concern once the temps hit the mid 30's here. And I ride year round unless there is snow on the roads.

• Member Contributer

I rarely ride in cold weather except on tour. Sometimes in the Winter the temps can drop in the 30s at 6K ft in the San Diego MTs but mostly it never drops below 40.

Our tour I find repetitive days in the cold can beat you up. UP and over the Sierras a couple of times can get cold.

med_gallery_2144_2004_750125.jpg

My current cold weather/tour setup:

2696083820099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Two Piece Aerostich RC
  • Synthetic thin long underwear……and maybe another thin layer on top.
  • Wood/synthetic blend hiking socks with Goretex touring boots
  • Grip heaters .........also use wool glove inserts or winter lined Goretex gloves. I also have the Aerostich Goretex mittens in reserve.
  • Bicycle arm and leg warmers which you can pull off without totally disrobing when it warms a bit
  • Aerostich windproof electric vest
  • Helmet liner

I also slow down and if it really looks to be cold I take this!

2603892360099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I like Darthbling's approach to cold weather riding for your hands and lower arms. Heated handgrips plus handlebar mits. Combined cost of $40 for weather proof sleeves with wool lining to keep the heat on the hands.

Just some generic ATV handlebar mitts. Available in camo too. :P

tn_gallery_4208_389_434095.jpg tn_gallery_4208_389_252767.jpg tn_gallery_4208_389_443210.jpg

The mitts work pretty well, but I stopped using them. The material is pretty flimsy and it's kinda tight inside the mitts to reach all the controls. I find it's too much of hassle to take them on and off all the the time. I didn't like using them in town because if you take you hands off the bars, say at a red light, it's hard to get your hands back into the mitts quickly. Plus, since I have an electric cruise control, the mitts had a bad habit of pressing against the front brake lever from the wind which would cause my cruise control to disengage.

I'm thinking my next 'mod' would be to craft a set of homemade handlebar mitts to solve these issues. Then I can leave them on the bike all winter. :D

Edited by Darth Bling

Hey - Good to know I am not the only one who rides in the Winter. I am in NYC and it can get pretty cold here. I am usually good up to 40 degrees providing the wind is not too crazy. I gotta get some heated grips, but aside from that I do ok with: under armour tee, long sleeve cotton shirt, Tourmaster Decker Leather pants (with knee and hip CE armour), AlpineStars Gore-Tex boots (with wool socks), First Gear Fire Leather Jacket w/neck warmer and thermal lining, (sometimes I wear my naked leather crusier jacket with a full sleeved thermal liner, or my Fieldsheer MottoBar Textile jacket, or my Cortech Denim riding jacket w/ thermal lining) and I cannot forget my TourMaster Winter Elite gloves (great gloves for winter riding). I am going to be upgrading to some Frank Thomas gear soon when I get some cash.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Cerebus

It's too bad that Honda doesn't make a clip on handguard. I've often thought that if I just had a shield that diverted the induced wind my hands would stay warm. Kind of like the ones you see on dual purpose bikes.

Did you guys by Honda or aftermarket grip heaters?

• Member Contributer

Well, I can sit around no more. I'm getting ready to go ride two bikes on 80 mile twistie runs in 32 degree weather. One bike has heated grips the other doesn't.

I'll just layer up, enjoy the empty roads then fill up the hot whirlpool tub... :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
Well, I can sit around no more. I'm getting ready to go ride two bikes on 80 mile twistie runs in 32 degree weather. One bike has heated grips the other doesn't.

I'll just layer up, enjoy the empty roads then fill up the hot whirlpool tub... :goofy:

Rode before daylight (26 degrees), then it had warmed up to a "toasty" 33 degrees after I got back after sunrise......a little "nippy"............... :goofy:

I'll just layer up, enjoy the empty roads then fill up the hot whirlpool tub... :goofy:

Rode before daylight (26 degrees), then it had warmed up to a "toasty" 33 degrees after I got back after sunrise......a little "nippy"............... :goofy:

Me too... rode in the 25 degree weather this AM... but I was not cold with the gerbings gear smile.gif I got some weird looks from the cagers...

• Member Contributer

Me too... rode in the 25 degree weather this AM... but I was not cold with the gerbings gear smile.gif I got some weird looks from the cagers...

I get those every day.......... :P

Guest vamtnman
It's too bad that Honda doesn't make a clip on handguard. I've often thought that if I just had a shield that diverted the induced wind my hands would stay warm. Kind of like the ones you see on dual purpose bikes.

A friend put a set of off road hand guards on his RC51 and he said it made a world of difference in keeping the hands warm. I've looked at several brands but there is absolutely no room to mount them on my '02 bars.

• Member Contributer

Did 190+ miles yesterday in from 32 to 26 degree weather (26 on top of the mountain). Just layered up and enjoyed nobody being on the roads. Couldn't have ridden all day though without another layer. Going to check out some good "underwear" as a better first layer though. Ride on.... +1.gif

• Member Contributer
Did 190+ miles yesterday in from 32 to 26 degree weather (26 on top of the mountain). Just layered up and enjoyed nobody being on the roads. Couldn't have ridden all day though without another layer. Going to check out some good "underwear" as a better first layer though. Ride on.... +1.gif

No pics please................ :P

Aftermarket, Symtec, see my installation thread: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37220

They're working great. +1 for Gerbing stuff.

• Member Contributer

No pics please................ :P

Not to worry! wink.gif

• Member Contributer

fake Old Navy underarmor

sweatpants

fleece balaclava

Rev It pants with liner in

Tourmaster Cortech with liner in

Powerlet Proform heated gloves

Gerbing socks with top elements only

still need overgloves and rain booties

I just bought the heated gloves and a dual temp controller from Powerlet at the Seattle MC Show, then meandered over to the Gerbing booth to buy socks (since Powerlet doesn't make 'em yet), where I learned that I had saved $30 by getting the dual controller from Powerlet. Sweet.

My legs and core never get too cold as long as I layer up properly, but hands and feet were bitterly cold last March riding in a Colorado sleet storm, even with the "water-proof" boots and gloves I had then. HA! They didn't let any water escape... <_<

• 3 weeks later...
My experience, if you not only want to be warm but stay warm, stay away from cotton. Layer with synthetics and if ya add heated gear, ride'n below freezing is no problem...Other than traction. :goofy:

:beer: on that!!! I don't have much experience riding in cold weather, but my camping experience tells me that a single layer of cotton will make you freeze your tail off!

Layer with synthetics, silk, or wool, and you will be much better off.

• 3 weeks later...

I am bringing up this topic again because my gloves suck! Actually they are fine to 35 or so, when combined with the heated grips, but my fingers totally freeze after that. The heated grips keep my hands warm but not my fingers.

Anyone have a review on the Powerlet gloves? I might try them if they are pretty good.

I have found that a sweatshirt under my MotoGP jacket(not leather) with the rain insert keeps me fairly warm, only where the jacket zips together do I feel the cold. MotoGP overpants with quilted liner keep my legs warm enough, I start to feel the cold at 25 degrees, but not uncomfortable. Socks take care of the worst of the feet issue, I haven't needed to upgrade to wool there yet.

• Member Contributer

I added some el-cheapo grip heaters from Cycle Gear (the resistor type with the same size clutch and throttle side pad sizes) but the difference was amazing, I don't have to wear my heavy winter gloves when it's only 45 anymore smile.gif The install was pretty easy and I got to get some new grips that have a pretty good matching yellow in them :salesman: Definitely worth the $40 investment (with grips)

• Member Contributer
I installed and tested the grip warmers tonight and I can't believe I've ridden sixteen years without them.

One of the best "Bang for the Buck" mods out there.

I headed out and it was 45 degrees which I can handle without warmers, so it wasn't bad. Felt good to try out the new warmers and see how they work.

The ride home was 33 degrees, and the warmers were definately helpful. Along with all my riding gear (layers), I was very comfortable and could've ridden a long distance in relative comfort if I had to. The half hour ride home was great.

I was actually surprised how hot the grips get. Riding through town the High setting was too hot, so I switched to low. But on the highway, the hot setting was perfectly adequate to do the job.

Here's what I wear whenever the temps get below 50 degrees. It took a while to figure out what works best. The key is layers and making sure there's no exposed skin. The Under Armor is awesome. It's like a second set of skin. But you have to use the tight fitting synthetic stuff that's not very breathable, it works the best. Here's what makes me comfortable down to at least 30 degrees:

Under Armor

Cotton T Shirt

Turtle Neck Sweater

Icon Leather Jacket w/ Liner (Sleeves of liner cut off so my arms aren't too bulky w/ the sweater, etc.)

Icon Timax Gloves

Balaclava (like a ski mask, w/ no mouth hole and one oval eyeport made of synthetic material)

Icon Helmet

Sweat Pants Under Jeans

Boots w/ Thick Cotton Socks

Symtec Grip Heaters

Every year I will ride regularly until the first real snowstorm brings out the salt and sand trucks. Then the road surface is pretty much shot until spring. I'll still ride on the occasional nice mid-winter day though.

Goodnight...

Sorry about not reading any posts but yours.. I've never tried grip warmers, and have ridden in 0 degree climates daily for years with just a heated stitch vest (5 years worth of winters), and I think that warming the core, the spot with most of your circulating blood helps the most. Although, I'd think that the couple of times I got to my destination with hurting cold numb hands should have prompted me to get the grip heaters long ago!

• Member Contributer

I freeze below 40F as all my gear is built for hot weather riding out here in AZ. But when I lived in Michigan I wore a thick traditional leather biker jacket with a sweatshirt and long johns underneath, leather chaps, pants and long johns. Some water proof snowmobiling boots, bacalava and gloves finished me off. I often rode in 25-40 degrees dressed up like that.

Anyone have the Motoport liners? They are suppossed to be rated down into the negatives and are waterproof.... I should just buy them as I already have the mesh pants and jacket.

• Member Contributer

I usually just put my Fieldsheer 1 piece suit over jeans and a sweater. I have a fleece pullover I like to wear to keep my neck warm, and that's pretty much it. In combo with Dual Star heated grips, it's helped me keep riding to work. Last Friday morning, it was 23 degrees.

• Member Contributer
fake Old Navy underarmor

sweatpants

fleece balaclava

REALLY?

Rev It pants with liner in

Tourmaster Cortech with liner in

Powerlet Proform heated gloves

Gerbing socks with top elements only

still need overgloves and rain booties

aA LITTLE MORE THAN THAT TOO...

I just bought the heated gloves and a dual temp controller from Powerlet at the Seattle MC Show, then meandered over to the Gerbing booth to buy socks (since Powerlet doesn't make 'em yet), where I learned that I had saved $30 by getting the dual controller from Powerlet. Sweet.

I DO NOT REMEMBER WHY (With this 130 pound 5 foot 9 inch tall blond maniac woman over my souldr - seeing me type... so, you know what she is gonna lead to after I'm ffinnissheedeed typing 2 U, U know what I meanszzZ?, right?

My legs and core never get too cold as long as I layer up properly, but hands and feet were bitterly cold last March riding in a Colorado sleet storm, even with the "water-proof" boots and gloves I had then. HA! They didn't let any water escape... <_<

It was due to the CORE being cold is all...

My experience, if you not only want to be warm but stay warm, stay away from cotton. Layer with synthetics and if ya add heated gear, ride'n below freezing is no problem...Other than traction. :goofy:

TracTTTion? :thumbsup:

Thats all you need for those situationzS!

:goofy: on that!!! I don't have much experience riding in cold weather, but my camping experience tells me that a single layer of cotton will make you freeze your tail off!

Layer with synthetics, silk, or wool, and you will be much better off.

I am bringing up this topic again because my gloves suck! Actually they are fine to 35 or so, when combined with the heated grips, but my fingers totally freeze after that. The heated grips keep my hands warm but not my fingers.

Anyone have a review on the Powerlet gloves? I might try them if they are pretty good.

No!

Although, If they can still be found, then the under-the-grips-generic-or-name-brand heated grips will (I've tried them on my BuDDies Bike's-plural-solved any problem... point blAnk!!!

I have found that a sweatshirt under my MotoGP jacket(not leather) with the rain insert keeps me fairly warm, only where the jacket zips together do I feel the cold. MotoGP overpants with quilted liner keep my legs warm enough, I start to feel the cold at 25 degrees, but not uncomfortable. Socks take care of the worst of the feet issue, I haven't needed to upgrade to wool there yet.

Always be sure to keep the leather ON!!!

I freeze below 40F as all my gear is built for hot weather riding out here in AZ. But when I lived in Michigan I wore a thick traditional leather biker jacket with a sweatshirt and long johns underneath, leather chaps, pants and long johns. Some water proof snowmobiling boots, bacalava and gloves finished me off. I often rode in 25-40 degrees dressed up like that.

I'm telin ya, a heated vest would change everything U just said

Anyone have the Motoport liners? They are suppossed to be rated down into the negatives and are waterproof.... I should just buy them as I already have the mesh pants and jacket.

Just get a heated vest . Just be sure to check the zippers out before you purchase, unless... Get the Stitch. They have ike 4 versions... Get the vest with the most warmth/draw from the battery!