Avon Storms Vs. Diablo Strada's

Vecky5

• Member Contributer

A few questons for those of you who are running Avon Storms. How much mileage have you gotten out of a set? I have just under 5,000 miles on them and and guessing I can get another 1,000 miles out of the back and maybe 2,000 out of the front. Is that what others seem to be getting?

Also, has anyone run diablo Strada's and Avon Storms? I'm trying to decide what tire to get next. I have read the comparrisons and it seems like the Stradas beat the Storms in every category.

I rode the Storms at Bristol this past week and eliminated the chicken strips on the back and about 1/4" left on the front with out any slips what so ever, so I'm very happy with that. I'm not sure how to explain it, but they seem "heavy" to get to that point (slow turn in I guess). There is also a slight head shake issue (this is the 2nd front tire after the 1st one went bad after 100 miles and it was replaced for free). They also handle a huge downpour very well so that is a plus.

My suspension sag is set for my weight more towards the aggresive side.

Any opinions would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
A few questons for those of you who are running Avon Storms. How much mileage have you gotten out of a set? I have just under 5,000 miles on them and and guessing I can get another 1,000 miles out of the back and maybe 2,000 out of the front. Is that what others seem to be getting?

Also, has anyone run diablo Strada's and Avon Storms? I'm trying to decide what tire to get next. I have read the comparrisons and it seems like the Stradas beat the Storms in every category.

I rode the Storms at Bristol this past week and eliminated the chicken strips on the back and about 1/4" left on the front with out any slips what so ever, so I'm very happy with that. I'm not sure how to explain it, but they seem "heavy" to get to that point (slow turn in I guess). There is also a slight head shake issue (this is the 2nd front tire after the 1st one went bad after 100 miles and it was replaced for free). They also handle a huge downpour very well so that is a plus.

Go with Pilot Power 2CT or M3's you will never turn back.

• Member Contributer

I need a tire that lasts more than 3k miles though. I can't afford to replace 2 times a season. (I know, I'm a cheap bastage...)

Most of my riding is commuting back and forth to work (although, a little over 2K of the 5K on my tires now were trips to the Gap and Bristol so twisties were in order - but I put over 1,000 miles on them just getting there and back)

Yeah, slow down you :goofy: .

:goofy:

j/k I've run the Stradas and liked them, but have never run any Avon's ever.

Try some Strada's and see for yourself or try the best rated ST tire just out, the new Pilot Road 2's. No real deals on them yet! :blink:

I got 4000 mile off the rear strada, I run a good pace on the street, but not race track speeds. I'm fairly certain the Z6 will yield longer life than the strada, I have near 9,000 mile on a front Z6, but I have a friend on a 600cc fz who wore out his strada front around 8,000. The VFR is much heavier and more foward biased. I'm running the Z6 rear right now to confirm whether or not the Z6 rear will yield more milege over the strada.

The recent sportuouring test Said Z6 has the best milege.

But I'm tired of the Z6 front and going back to a PIlOTPOWER front for the winter

I agree, I recently replaced my pilot roads with pilot powers 2ct and it really does feel like another bike, and I liked the pilot roads.

• Member Contributer

My CBR1000RR Repsol came with the Stradas Rob. Great tire, and I was gonna' put them on the VFR until some folks helped convince me to put on the Pilot Powers. Stradas would probably get you good mileage, although I think I can "squeeze" 6000 miles out of the PPs on the Triumph(lighter than the VFR). Run more air in them during commutes, and traveling to and from your favorite twisties helps a lot along with smooth on/ off throttle. Brake as little as possible. Never ran Avons except on cruiser-type bikes, so not much help there....................... :thumbsup:

Chiming in on behalf of the Stradas - haven't run Avons yet - might someday when I find a convincing reason and good price point. I commuted heavily last year on a set of D Stradas and got about a 1/4 less the mileage you're wishing for. Great all 'rounder, reliable and smooth when warm and good in the rain too. I did a lot of backroad scratching in between heavy bouts of commuting and never felt out of sorts. The rear wore evenly all around the carcass and by the bitter end there was not much rubber left anywhere. The front kept its center tread real well, but the sides were totally gone at around 6k. Currently on a set of regular Diablos, and while they're a better "fast" tire, they're wearing faster too. 'specially that dang rear tar. Nothing I've ridden outside of the Stradas has given me over 4,000m max. Most are toast by 3k.

The motorcyclists dilemma rages on... mileage? Or traction... sigh...

(and I still don't know how some of y'all get the claimed mileage from your tires. Sure you don't have a little throttle aversion there?)

The rear wore evenly all around the carcass and by the bitter end there was not much rubber left anywhere. The front kept its center tread real well, but the sides were totally gone at around 6k.

But you live in California... :joystick:

• Member Contributer

Rob,

I have Avon's on my 5th Gen. which you saw, I think. I'll likely get 3000 miles out of the rear which is good for me. FOR ME, the Z6's, Pilot Roads, and BT020's are junk compared to the Avons. The Storms turn in better than they look like they should.

Never run Stradas but were I in your situation, I would try them. I keep trying new tires because I have yet to find "my" tire. For my VFR's the Storms are on their way to being "keepers" if they keep performing like they are. I can use all of the rear tire but with a little more effort than the M3's on my "other" bike.

On my K1200R, I have M3's but they won't last as long as the Storms for sure. They are a much more sporty tire with great turn in and stick. That bike needs good stick. Good luck!!

Jim wink.gif

• Member Contributer

I have around 5000 on my Storms and it looks like I can get @3000 more. Mine are not even half way worn yet. I had a set of the old azaros on my 99 and had 7000 on them when I sold it with still a good amount of tread left. I have no experience with the stradas but I am very pleased with the avons.

• Member Contributer

I was going to order a new set of Storms last night, till I started thinking about this same dilema. I want to try some Stradas, but the Storms have done me so well that i am cautious.

Then, I started thinking about Powers, I'll never get new tires, unless I can make a decision.

No one knows which gets the better mileage, Storms vs. Stradas?

I don't have any experience with the Storms, but I spooned a set of Stradas on my 2000 VFR @ 6K miles and they transformed my bike for the better, it became planted, smooth and very confidence inspiring (no chicken strips) I have over 4K miles on them now and they look perfect. I don't commute on my bike, it only gets ridden in the twisties here in Arizona (I am less than a mile away from some of the best roads in the southwest) By the way, and we all know that, tire inflation is critical to longevity, I check my pressure once a week and that seems to help a great deal towards making them last.

I hope this helps you make a decision.

• Member Contributer
the tires were very good in my opinion. they center flattened a little sooner than i hoped and felt a little vague at times, but never slipped. the storms handle a lot of 156 HP launches and not a hint of a squared off center yet.

thanks Fixer, I do some highway commuting between KC and Rolla, so this is a very big deal to me. I guess I'll stick with the Storms for now. :thumbsup:

Archived