"normal" Tire Wear?

hardt21

• Member Contributer

I got a Dunlop Qualifier last season around August. Since then I have put 4500 miles or so on my bike. Is this normal tire wear for this amount of miles? If not....what could have caused this?

2002481692923056000_rs.jpg

2002481692923056000_rs.jpg

2002428196686891807_rs.jpg

2002428196686891807_rs.jpg

I run 40 psi in the rear and check it religiously.

The "stripe" is only on half of my tire and goes from about an eighth of an inch to a half an inch.

Looks like your tire is toast, my Pirelli strada rear has about 4,000 miles on it, I soon expect the see my cord also

Sux that good traction and 10,000 miles cant be had

• Member Contributer

That metal you see is the cords.

Don't ride on that tire any more, it can fail at any time, have it replaced ASAP. That is pretty good mileage for a qualifier.

• Member Contributer
So this is normal wear....first tire I have actually toasted before. I kinda expected it to be even.

Very rare to get even tire wear. If you ride only twisites or at the track, the sides will be gone with the center still looking new. Otherwise, the center usually runs out long before the sides.

• Member Contributer

So what next?

I have been looking at Avons. Haven't heard much about them but I do believe its time to go away from the Dunlops. The new AV56ST Storm looks pretty cool, my roommate just put it on his ZX-11 and he loves it.

So what next?

I have been looking at Avons. Haven't heard much about them but I do believe its time to go away from the Dunlops. The new AV56ST Storm looks pretty cool, my roommate just put it on his ZX-11 and he loves it.

Hit more twisties and the wear will be more even! :thumbsup:

Use the search option for Tires, there's dozens of threads. The front page also has a tire survey to scan. :wub:

I ride nothing but twisties and the center still wears out first! <_<

misc7-06002.jpg

Look at this Pilot Power that I have 2000 miles on, the center profile is gone and i do less than 5% straights.

Picture584.jpg

• Member Contributer
So what next?

Use the search option for Tires, there's dozens of threads. The front page also has a tire survey to scan. :wub:

misc7-06002.jpg

Look at this Pilot Power that I have 2000 miles on, the center profile is gone and i do less than 5% straights.

Picture584.jpg

Wow....well I live in Iowa, where we don't know what a twisty road is.

The best thing I have is a parking lot.....where I can pretend to run twisties...

those pictures show a massive amount of wear and the tires should have been replaced long before that. a tires life is usually past its best half before half the tread has gone, especially on the road as the heat cycles from everyday use destroy it. the bars in the tread are an absolute minimum, not only for water dispersal but also because by that time the compound has gon way past its used by.

quite frankly i think its not only dangerous but irresponsible to ride on tires like that, the chance of a blow out is huge, not to mention what will happen if you get stuck out in a storm, and you never know who or what may get in your way and when you really need your tires to work

• Member Contributer
So what next?

misc7-06002.jpg

Picture584.jpg

Yeah, but Bailyrock, we all know that when you change your lean to the other side in the curves, your rear tire is spinning during that brief vertical position..... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Would someone please draw an arrow to these "bars in the treat"? I have no idea what Lopeman is talking about. I'm an idiot.

Would someone please draw an arrow to these "bars in the tread"? I have no idea what Lopeman is talking about. I'm an idiot.

Sure.

wearbars.jpg

Those raised sections inside the tread are the wear bars. When these become flush with the surface of the tire, that means your tire is done. Unfortunately, because the Stradas don't have any tread in the middle of the rear (the Metzer Z6s are worse about this), there isn't any wear bars to gauge the amount of tread left down the center. You'll just have to use the other wear bars to get an idea of when the center is up before the cords start showing.

those pictures show a massive amount of wear and the tires should have been replaced long before that. a tires life is usually past its best half before half the tread has gone, especially on the road as the heat cycles from everyday use destroy it. the bars in the tread are an absolute minimum, not only for water dispersal but also because by that time the compound has gon way past its used by.

quite frankly i think its not only dangerous but irresponsible to ride on tires like that, the chance of a blow out is huge, not to mention what will happen if you get stuck out in a storm, and you never know who or what may get in your way and when you really need your tires to work

I appreciate your thoughts, but have proven them wrong on the last 30 sets I've run through.

The tire in the top pick was just to the wear bars before I started my normal day loop (400 miles)

The tires I run now, Pilot Powers do NOT loose grip at all until the cords show up and I'm sure my Pace is higher than 80-90% of the guys out there. I am VERY aware of what my tires are doing at all times. The lack of sipes means nothing unless you hit rain, then I would have to worry some. :wub:

I have more than 80,000 miles on VFR's alone and have only had two flats, one front, one rear and both new tires.

I get 5 maybe six rides out of a rear tire so I do tend to stretch my rides some, but have never even once had a pressure loss with a tire in these conditions nor grip loss until I see cords. :thumbsup:

PS by No means do I recommend or suggest that anyone else every run their tires tires down this far, please. :goofy:

• Member Contributer
The tires I run now, Pilot Powers do NOT loose grip at all until the cords show up and I'm sure my Pace is higher than 80-90% 99.x% of the guys out there.

Fixed

The tires I run now, Pilot Powers do NOT loose grip at all until the cords show up and I'm sure my Pace is higher than 80-90% 99.x% of the guys out there.

Fixed

:lol:

OK, mister 1 percentile. :thumbsup:

Damn!

thanks for Ginxing me, I was trying to get 5,000 mile out of my rear Pirelli Strada, it made it to 4200 and disintegrating like yours.

Damn tire just put on in march

I'm riding a pilot road NOw, a flimsy tire But I hear yields some life

Damn!

thanks for Ginxing me, I was trying to get 5,000 mile out of my rear Pirelli Strada, it made it to 4200 and disintegrating like yours.

You would be much happier with a Diablo Strada on the rear! :thumbsup:

Damn!

You would be much happier with a Diablo Strada on the rear! :thumbsup:

Baily rock , I fiqured that out within the first 5 minutes on the pilot road, I now have several thousand miles of hate, discontent and suffering

• Member Contributer
Baily rock , I fiqured that out within the first 5 minutes on the pilot road, I now have several thousand miles of hate, discontent and suffering

lol, that about sums up my relationship with PRoad as well. If it makes you feel any better, the tire gets really bad at about 50% wear and feels like you are riding on ice, so you will have an excuse to replace it long before it wears out.

I'm thinking he should trade tires with cozye in the "check this out" thread and everything would be golden. :thumbsup:

lol, that about sums up my relationship with PRoad as well. If it makes you feel any better, the tire gets really bad at about 50% wear and feels like you are riding on ice, so you will have an excuse to replace it long before it wears out.

i was thinking of calling the dealer and ask what their tire policy is if you dont like the tire, i should have known better and went with another strada but tire cost is eating my pocketbook, out of desperation i thought worth a try.

Mostly I'm afraid of No fun for the next several months, I put 42,5 max pressure in it, I was able to have some fun this AM , so I guess I can make due. But I'm definitely Handicapped>G<

• Member Contributer
i was thinking of calling the dealer and ask what their tire policy is if you dont like the tire, i should have known better and went with another strada but tire cost is eating my pocketbook, out of desperation i thought worth a try.

Mostly I'm afraid of No fun for the next several months, I put 42,5 max pressure in it, I was able to have some fun this AM , so I guess I can make due. But I'm definitely Handicapped>G<

Drop down to 30 psi and you will get a lot more grip, plus they will wear faster.

Drop down to 30 psi and you will get a lot more grip, plus they will wear faster.

the reason I'm running 42.5 is in trying to keep the tire from wallowing, Havent had any slip issues, its just a very vaque feel and the tire is much less diameter than the worn Strada, which has thrown off my handling, the bike is more sqauted in the rear as a result.

I had to lower my clipons to try and get some handling feel back into the bike, that helped

But Yeh at the 50 percent wear point its probably like riding on a a balloon

• Member Contributer

I think you should stay closer to Honda's recommended pressures for the street and drop about 5% to 8% for

the track...

Underinflated tires can result in imprecise cornering, higher running temperatures, irregular tread

wear at the edge of the contact patch, fatigue cracking, overstressing and eventual failure of the

tire carcass.

Archived