I Am Soaking Wet

oyama

• Member Contributer

Well, actually I am talking about my leathers.

Off topic:

Sunday I rode my bike from Daytona to Orlando. It was a 72 miles ride that started with hot 91F (32C) weather. I checked with Tinyminds that the weather in Orlando was in fact sunny and that there was no danger for serious rain. I am not afraid of a little rain, but if it was going to rain harder I would have taken my rain gear with me. So, I started riding in my usual 2-piece black leather suit, boots, gloves and helmet.

After a few miles on the highway I felt like I was going to melt--even at 80mph the 91F(32C) heat was killing me and it did not change for the next 50-60 miles. <_< After that it got worse. The traffic slowed down on I-4 to 50mph, and without the wind I felt more miserable. I was thinking to myself that I should have ridden in jeans. About 5 miles later I was glad I did not. I saw that I had to ride through a giant black/gray sky. I knew I was going to get wet, but I had no clue as to just how wet I was going to get... about 5 miles from my exit I started praying, "Please do not start to rain now, please!"

Well, it did not work. It not only started to rain but it was pouring down like there was no tomorrow. sad.gif Of course the car drivers lost all of their driving skills. They were driving so slow that I was only able to use my first gear and even then I had to pull my clutch in many times to slow down to that 4-5mph speed that they were able to safely do. The temperature also dropped 23 degrees to 69F(20C). Now, when I am riding in the rain (with the appropriate speed) usually I do not get rained on too much, because the wind shield and the front fairings deflect a lot of rain. In the 4-5 mph case they do not work so well. A few minutes later I started to feel some very interesting sensations.

I knew my leathers were not waterproof but I did not know that if I did not tighten my gloves on my jacket sleeves then the water is going to flow in my gloves. The water not only flowed into my gloves but it stayed there. So after a few minutes my gloves felt very mushy and uncomfortable.

Well, if you have your pants in your boots then you can conclude that there is an easy way for the water to flow in the boots. And so it happened about the same time my gloves got wet from inside. I felt that my feet are getting wet and cold. To add to the fun every time I changed gear and lifted my left foot up the water inside my boot started to move back and forth giving me a weird feeling. It took me a while to figure out what the heck was that soft touching, lukewarm feeling around my left foot.

Imagine my surprise when, well, I do not know how else to say but, imagine my surprise when I felt my underwear got wet! :blink: I promise you, I had nothing to do with it! I just could not get it how it is possible. I am in full suit, zipped together around my waist. It could not be. But here it was water going down on my butt and thighs making me feel more uncomfortable. Oh man, what else can come?

Well, I just had to ask. While I was looking for the last street where I had to turn I noticed that my fuel is low, very low. I had just passed the 200 miles mark. That thing is blinking since who know when and I am just a few turns away from my destination. Should I risk it? I decided not to risk it because actually I could not find that aforementioned street. However, I found a fuel station and there I went! If I were local I would have know that there is a deepening road leading into the fuel station. But I did not know it and I rode about 10 mph into the water that was about 3-4" deep. As I was riding through the water I created such high waves that I could not see in front of me or to the side! Thankfully, a few seconds later the road ascended a little and I was able to stop next to a gas pump, in one inch water. While I was grunting about standing in the water, a car passed by sprinkling some water on me and creating a few waves that left me standing in 2-3" water now. Wonderful. :pissed:

Now, finally I was under cover, no rain was falling on me, I was ready to buy some gas, right? Well, I was ready but the pump was not. After trying various debit and credit card unsuccessfully, I got the same message "Please see attendant." So, here I walked, not really caring about the 2-3" deep puddles that I had to walk through on my way to the store to see the clerk. When I opened the store door and stepped in I had a sudden flashback. If you guys saw the Terminator 2 then you know what I am talking about. Walking into an air-conditioned store, soaking wet down to you underwear, created the same affect as when the T-1000 terminator stepped into the liquid Nitrogen. I could not move... for a second or two. The wet, sticky and now cold leather suit made every movement very painful. Luckily for me I even had to wait a minute or two for the clerk to walk from the back of the store to the cash register.

After paying, fueling and a quick call to Tinyminds to confirm that I was less then a mile away from his house I sat on my VFR in my squelchy suit and started to ride in the right direction. While I was fighting with hypothermia and a very slippery parking lot I finally arrived at Tinyminds' garage, where he and kwr8728 were sitting in dry clothes at the front of the garage sipping refreshments, smiling and chitchatting. After I wrung some water out of my gloves and poured some water out of my boots I finally changed my clothes and felt much better.

On topic:

Now, it is Tuesday already and my leathers are still wet.

1 Did I just ruin them?

2 How am I supposed to dry them?

3 Are they going to be moldy?

4 Any suggestions?

Thanks guys and gals!

1 Did I just ruin them?

4 Any suggestions?

Thanks guys and gals!

1. No, not yet.

2. Get as much water out as possible squeezing them against towels or something absorbent. Then give them plenty of air, and some warmth, but don't get them too hot (i.e., don't stick 'em in a tumble dryer on high heat!). On the clothesline in the sun, with plenty of breeze is good, or stick them somwhere warm with a fan blowing on them. Alternatively, you could ride them dry!

3. No. Mould is caused by mould spores, not water.

4. If you're really worried about this, I'm sure you could find a 'professional' (dry cleaners?) to take care of it. Once they are dry, use some good leather conditioner on them to freshen them up (and provide some waterproofing), paying attention to the seams.

Don't panic, Oyama - I've got a textile jacket that has leather sleeves, and wash it every so often (when it's really manky from road spooge). I also used to have a leather jacket, gloves, and boots that were not at all waterproof and that got soaked several times. They recovered. smile.gif

Well I've never had my riding leathers soaked, but living in the Pacific Northwest I've had plenty of other leather gear soaked.

I do not think you've ruined anything. Best thing to do is let them air dry (preferably on some type of drying rack so as not to let the leather stretch from hanging). They will eventually dry out and they shouldn't mildew if you have them drying indoors. Whenever leather gets wet it loses some of it's natural oils so I would contact the manufacturer to see what they recommend using on them to restore the suppleness. Do not use any man made chemicals or treatments on them (including silicone) as it will cause the leather to break down. If you can't get any info on specific products I can help, just PM me.

After the leathers dry they'll probably be a little tight as any natural hide product shrinks a little when it gets wet and then dries, but not to worry, it'll stretch back out after a bit of use.

Probably best to remove the footbeds out of your boots as well (if they're removable) and really let them (the boots) air out so they don't start to stink.

-T

• Member Contributer
I guess now is the time to invest in a really good lightweight rain suit, so that this doesn't happen again. :thumbsup:

I do have rain suit. It just happened that I have trusted in Tinyminds who trusted in the weather chanell... sad.gif

2. Get as much water out as possible squeezing them against towels or something absorbent. Then give them plenty of air, and some warmth, but don't get them too hot (i.e., don't stick 'em in a tumble dryer on high heat!). On the clothesline in the sun, with plenty of breeze is good, or stick them somwhere warm with a fan blowing on them. Alternatively, you could ride them dry!

3. No. Mould is caused by mould spores, not water.

4. If you're really worried about this, I'm sure you could find a 'professional' (dry cleaners?) to take care of it. Once they are dry, use some good leather conditioner on them to freshen them up (and provide some waterproofing), paying attention to the seams.

2. Is done with towel.

3. Good to hear that. I do not have to worry then.

4. I will do that after I come back from Hungary.

cassandtim

It is a 10 years old Dainese Luce 2 piece leather suit.

luce_people.jpg

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

i always used to stuff my rugby boots with newspaper. i now do it with my riding boots. it's an easy way to absorb the moisture before it takes root, so to speak.

it might help with your sleeves and pant legs too, unless you're using a fan or something else to move the moisture (in the air) around

• Member Contributer

You're right, enzed, mould is caused by mold spores...... ha ha. In Florida the air is 50% water and 49% mold spores. :pissed: .2 oxygen and .8 nitrogen of course

Ruined? NO, but they will lose some of their overall strength. Hard to measure that sort of thing.

• Member Contributer

Oyama, that is teh suck. Sorry. I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale, ah the times when it was sunny...AND POURING RAIN!!!?!?

1 Did I just ruin them?

4 Any suggestions?

1. Not really, but the abrasion/shear resistance just dropped, and will do so every time they are immersed.

2. Whatever you do, DO NOT apply heat. That dries leather out even more (very bad)

3. Mold, that depends on where they are stored and whether or not any "spore" type stuff can settle in/on them. I'd generally think not....

4. H²0 usually is very good as diluting/displacing the natural oils found in organic materials like leather. When fully dried, use a really good product like Zymöl to try and replenish those oils. Follow the instructions, rub it in deep, wait a bit, then buff. Work the leather slightly, to get the crunch out. Repeat as needed. Don't be surprised if the finish goes to hell shortly :-(

Good luck! Good excuse to look at new leathers :salesman:

• Member Contributer

After getting caught in a rain/hail storm the other day, I was just about to ask the same questions of my leather gear...

So thanks for saving me the time of writing up a new thread!

And thanks to everyone else for the helpful input.

• Member Contributer

I feel you Oyama, I have been caught in downpours several times. On longer rides I always carry a rain suit as well as ziploc bags for my stuff. The thing that sucks is it usually takes longer to stop and get your gear on than the rain lasts.

Here are Synaptic Misfire's Rules for Summer Riding in Florida.

1. Its too F&^*ing hot to ride, summer is our winter park it, put some new shit on it and catch up on your tivo'd motorcycle racing.

2. If you must ride remember its summer...its Florida...its going to f*^king rain being on two wheels only angers the rain

3. All clouds deemed harmless or only containing a "little" rain will in fact rain so hard an old man with a beard and a big boat will begin lining animals up by twos

4. Inevitably some asshole on a gixxer will pass you wearing a tank top, board shorts and flip flops you will quietly envy him while contemplating if you can tattoo over road rash or not (you can't by the way)

5. Its going to rain somewhere every day

6. The chances of a gray sky turning in to rain are inversely proportional to the availability of shelter, the words "I won't stop under this bridge I can make it before it pours" are in fact an ancient incantation that when uttered invokes a deluge of biblical proportions. Experts now believe it was an ill equipped motorcyclist who caused the global flood by saying this very thing.

7. If you do come prepared and have your rainsuit simply stopping to put it on will in fact anger the gods who will immediately cease all rain and increase the temperature at least 10 degrees but just for fun they will keep the sky threatening so you will ride at least 20 miles before giving up and removing your suit

8. Did I mention it is going to rain?

9. See rules 2,5 and 8

10. The percentages given by the weathermen here are not how likely rain is but instead how much of the volume of the Atlantic ocean is going to fall from the sky

• Member Contributer

SNO SEAL is a great leather restorer, and according to my tube is made in the good ole USofA by Atsko Inc., Orangeburg S.C. Try camping gear shops, that is where I get it. It is made from bees wax, not oils which came from animal skins in the first place. Bees wax softens the leather but won't help rot it. It will also help keep water from being absorbed into the leather but NOT the rain which you rode through.

Yep it's a great feeling cold water dripping into your crotch, but gets better as it warms up!!! Great description oyama, brought back many memories. One of the reasons we use Gearsacks over here to carry four seasons worth of gear everywhere we travel.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
Hey does that suit come with that blonde beauty? :beer: :pissed:

It is funny you mentioned that because actually it did come with that blonde girl. However, I had to divorce from her 6 months later...

Oh well, back to topic. I was concentrated so much on my suit that I forgot about my gloves. Guess what happens after they spend 3 weeks in the Givi box...

Warning, very graphic image!!!

2007_07_04_moldy_gloves.jpg

Is it safe to assume that I need a new pair of gloves? wink.gif

• Member Contributer

Coyze and I got caught in a nasty storm in Tennessee. By the time we got back to our room in Townsend, we were soaked through to the bone. Socks, t-shirts and underwear were soaked as were our leathers. My boots, gloves, leather jacket and pants were saturated. Hung them in the bathroom under the heat lamp. Next morning they were partially dry. Put them on and went riding. They were near fully dry by the end of our second day of riding. They dont seem to have suffered any damage and are still supple.

Is it safe to assume that I need a new pair of gloves?

Hmmm.....

I'm sure the gnarsty little mould critters haven't eaten ALL the glub - they probably still only part way through the polish!

Chuck 'em in the wash and they'll be as good as new! :thumbsup: :beer:

Archived