Garmin Quest - Lost Sattelite Reception

Guest goldVFR

Guest goldVFR

Is anyone having problems with their Quest or other Garmin GPS devices? I keep getting "Lost Sattelite Reception". In the last week, it seems to happen a lot more often than before. I am not sure if it is because of the super hazy / overcast weather we are having, or does Garmin have a satellite not working properly.

• Forum CEO

Mine loses satalite in very cloudy weather, however I broke the antenna once and have had it repaired by Garmin once before. Too much dirtbiking and dropping it broke the flip up part. If you shut it off and turn it back on it can fix itself sometimes.

• Member Contributer
Is anyone having problems with their Quest or other Garmin GPS devices? I keep getting "Lost Sattelite Reception". In the last week, it seems to happen a lot more often than before. I am not sure if it is because of the super hazy / overcast weather we are having, or does Garmin have a satellite not working properly.

I had two different Quest 2's - not only did they periodically lose reception (I'm in the mountains - so that is understandable) but I felt the software was so primitive that once it reconnected it could not even properly calculate mileage (I lost reception for 1/2 mile once and the device said I travelled 5 miles when it re-established). Cured me of GPS! Sent both back. Hate to base decsion on Quest experience only, but did not want to go to expense of equiping bikes with a new device. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I've got the Quest 2. Mine has gotten terrible. It loses the sats all the time. I believe it is a problem with the antenna and how it is connect to the chassis. As you look at the unit from the front, the antenna has two pivot points. The right pivot point (about in the middle if the unit) is where the contacts are for the antenna are. It seems like it is losing it connection. I took my antenna off and re-installed it (tightening the screws on the back piece that holds it in place). Mine would lose the sats even when in my back yard. After I took it apart and put it back together it work great in my back yard.

In fact to day I did a short ride this AM and it work good for about 15 miles and then bcak to its old self (must be the vibration).

I'm calling Garmin tomorrow.

• Member Contributer

Is this specifically a problem with the Quest? What about other Garmin products? I'd like to get GPS in the next few months, but not if it behaves like this!?!

I have the Quest I. I had exactly the same problem with mine and sent it back in under warranty - the new one works great

I noticed that mine wouldn't get reception unless I have the antenna flat to the road.

Then it went back to normal and worked in any position, now today it only works in the flat position and would lose reception if I bumped it.

• Member Contributer
..... or does Garmin have a satellite not working properly.
Garmin does not have any satellites. GPS is operated by the US Air Force. The European Union is working on their own version of a global satellite navigation system scheduled to be ready in 2010.

The Zumo has the better sirf-III signal processor, makes a big difference :thumbsup:

My StreetPilot III loses reception occasionally when riding through forrests and using the standard antenna. I have an external antenna sitting on the top box to remedy that problem.

• Member Contributer

My ZUMO seems to take a fair amount of time finding the birds on the first power up of the day, subsequently the unit is very quick in finding reception. It could be a latitude issue, strange though. Occasionally the coverage bar drops a bit, but I have always been able to navigate.

Another interesting unadvertised feature of my ZUMO is that it has twice powered down and then refused to power up again. Pushing the power button does nothing. If this happens to you, then your ZUMO wants to be reset. To reset just push the power button and either the +/- button at the same time and your Zumo will wake up, at least mine did and that is the "fix" from Garmin. Supposedly the latest software removes this problem but I had download it and still had a problem.

The Zumo has the better sirf-III signal processor, makes a big difference :thumbsup:

My StreetPilot III loses reception occasionally when riding through forrests and using the standard antenna. I have an external antenna sitting on the top box to remedy that problem.

Obviously Quest is the low-cost option here given it is about a third of the price of the Zumo. I am gonna look into getting an external antenna, looks like they have them here:

http://www.gilsson.com/garmin_gps/antennas/mcx.htm

I have been very satisfied with the Quest other than this reception issue that started happening in the last few weeks. I use it a lot both in the car and on the bike and really like it.

I have been very satisfied with the Quest other than this reception issue that started happening in the last few weeks. I use it a lot both in the car and on the bike and really like it.

I would first have a closer look at the internal connector of the antenna. I've heard of them coming loose before. Should be an easy fix.

Here is an informative page on the quest: link

It doesn't discuss the antenna connector though.

I would first have a closer look at the internal connector of the antenna. I've heard of them coming loose before. Should be an easy fix.

Here is an informative page on the quest: link

It doesn't discuss the antenna connector though.

Would I have to open up the unit? The antenna is not lose or anyhting, it is pretty firm.

Archived