Metzeler Z6's Vs. M3's?

Guest ianian28

Guest ianian28

i've have a set of m1's and two sets of z6's on my '99 vfr.

i found only a modest performance difference, but a huge longevity difference (i can easily get 6-8k out of a z6 rear), and so have been loyal to the z6's.

i'm wondering how m3's stack up - i've heard great things. can anyone contribute any information about longevitiy with these tires, in comparison to the m1 and z6?

oh - and any internet details people have foun of late for tires would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

• Member Contributer
i've have a set of m1's and two sets of z6's on my '99 vfr.

i found only a modest performance difference, but a huge longevity difference (i can easily get 6-8k out of a z6 rear), and so have been loyal to the z6's.

i'm wondering how m3's stack up - i've heard great things. can anyone contribute any information about longevitiy with these tires, in comparison to the m1 and z6?

oh - and any internet details people have foun of late for tires would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Go to Metzler's internet site and you'll learn a lot about what they say FWIW and there are a lot of reviews on the net and a few here. Another Z6 will never ever go on a bike I own unless I decide to start sliding the rear end around again and take a liking to cupped front tires. I have a set of M3's on the way so I can review them by late summer.

Another way to look at it is if you're getting that kind of mileage out of a rear tire, you probably don't need M3's. Just a free opinion. Good luck. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I have never run the Z6, but have run a few sets of M1s and M3s. The M3s will not get the same mileage of the Z6, but they are a much better high performance tire, better than the M1 IMO, and last like 50%-75% longer than the M1.

Give them a try, you will love them.

have run m1/z6 combo and m3's basically, i will probably get the same out of the m3's that i got out of the m1/z6 (about 4k +/- 500) the big difference is performance, so if you are happy with z6, why pay more for m3?

that being said, i would never go back. m3's are awesome so far. z6 didnt give the feel of the m3's and it let loose from time to time. the m3 just sticks and is very predictable.

• 1 month later...

well, my m3's have finally hit the wear bar on the rear. this is my second set of metzelers and the m3's are definitely the best.

m1/z6 combo hit 3200 miles and in the end, the z6 was sliding all over the place.

m3/m3 combo hit 3200 miles yesterday. they have NEVER let go even once.

i am definitely riding more agressively now than i did with the first set, so i can only give the m3's HUGE THUMBS UP :thumbsup:

m3's do not 'flop' over at all as the turn in is very linear...i also ran them at deals gap in the rain (great place for first rain ride..... :beer: ) and was very confident with them after and hour or two.

• Member Contributer

+1.gif

I have 2400 miles on my M3's with fairly aggressive street riding and one track day. The rear only has maybe another 500 - 1000 on it with street riding. This is due to the Vtwin being very harsh on the rear. The factory set was D208 and the rear was completely finished after 1800 miles. The only time the M3s moved on me was on the track at full lean when I threw too much throttle in and the rear stepped out. I am completely pleased with these. I don't know how agressive you ride, but I'm guessing with a VFR you should be able to get 4000 or more out of them with moderately aggressive street riding.

I have never run the Z6, but have run a few sets of M1s and M3s. The M3s will not get the same mileage of the Z6, but they are a much better high performance tire, better than the M1 IMO, and last like 50%-75% longer than the M1.

Give them a try, you will love them.

+1 to that post.

To me the m3 and the Z6 is of similar compound, IMO the Z6 has a stronger internal Webbing needed for the additional weight sport tourers need.

Those who have run both Z6 and M3, what was the milege difference on the rear tire?

And lets take another step further, those who have run a pilot power rear and Perelli strada rear, what was the difference on milege?

• Member Contributer

Just put a set of M3's on my other bike and they turn in great and take huge amounts of HP through the turns very well....not spinning at all. I get great bike lean from them when that's what I want to do. As for longevity, time will tell.

Damn, TC, 3200 miles?? You must be cruisin' the Natchez Trace.... :P

Just put a set of M3's on my other bike and they turn in great and take huge amounts of HP through the turns very well....not spinning at all. I get great bike lean from them when that's what I want to do. As for longevity, time will tell.

LOL

you'll never know, cause you are a 'nose show' for all the rides... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

LOL

you'll never know, cause you are a 'nose show' for all the rides... :goofy:

You had to be drinking to come up with that one... :thumbsup: That was a good one...got me wink.gif

Archived