Essential Mods/gear For Long-range Touring?

Guest Mr. Visible

Question

Guest Mr. Visible

Hello Folks,

I want your opinion on what you (long range VFR sport tourers) see as the most essential bike mods/gear for extended long range trips. I am trying to prioritize my expenditures and maximize my pleasure/comfort/range/efficiency on my 5-8k midwest and mountain region three week tour next month (leaving early-mid June).

Here is the background. My route will include as little interstate as possible (probably 2-3,000 miles) and lots of remote roads/highways in NM, CO, WY, ID, WA, and MT. Lots of high elevation stuff. Lots of twisty roads. The more the better. I intend to camp most of the time with family/motel stops to recharge/destink. I expect daily mileage will range from 300-750/day (usually 500 or less). I have been on long trips before but not this long in time or distance. I will be riding solo (unless some of you want to join me for parts). I generally ride slow on the straight stuff and quicker on the curvy stuff (limit the tickets). I expect to see a wide range of temperatures. I do not plan to ride at night on anything other than interstates or major highways.

NOW TO THE POINT...

WHAT HELPS YOU RIDE FARTHER WHILE STAYING HAPPIER? What I want your help with, is prioritizing this list of not yet purchased stuff. I can't buy much (maybe $1000 worth). What on this list makes the most difference to you. Is there something that isn't on this list that should be a high priority item? Further below I have listed the gear/mods I have so far.

• 12v sockets and blue sea fuse block on relay: for phone charger, ipod, video camera, etc.

• voltmeter

• Sargent saddle

• GPS (Garmin Zumo, GPSmap 60CX, or eTrex Vista CX)

• Gen-mar bar risers

• radar detector with extra audio or LED output

• CB - good in emergency - I love helpful truckers/wingers

• Personal Locator Beacon (GPS or other)

• suspension upgrade (lindeman/racetech/etc) - I also have a 929 rear shock ready to install

• integrated auidio system (starcom 1) with speakers/plugs

• heated grips

• bike-to-cage guided missle system

• heated jacket

Mycurrent equipment is the following:

BIKE:

2000 VFR with 31k on clock (basically stock)

Tbr slip-on

K&N air filter

throttlemeister

led extra stop light

sheepskin saddle pad

LUGGAGE:

GIVI wingrack with E21 side cases and V46 topcase

good light-weight camping gear (tent, pad, sack, cook gear)

dry bag (for across pillion)

tankbag

RAM mounts: for camera, video camera, maybe ipod,...? (soon to arrive)

RIDING CLOTHING:

Aerostich one-piece suit

Grand Prix sympatex boots (can't remember the brand) or old Daytona off-road boots

Warm (Held) and cold weather gloves

Arai quantum f (hard to get in-ear speaker plugs under for me [sure E2s])

A wide assortment of patagonia long underwear {silk - heavyweight}

various fleece and wool vests and jackets (some windbloc)

Hot weather wicking shorts and tees

Bicycle shorts with pad

fleece neck sleeve

2 piece rain suit (will fit over 'stich for really sucky weather)

MISC

various water delivery systems - camelback, platy bag w/ evappawrappa, etc.

tools, tire patch kit, pump, chain lube, first aid kit, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions. What would you not leave home without (on a long trip)? Sorry about the long post. I hope this is an OK forum for this cross-over kind of question.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/style_e...ns/rolleyes.gif

Stay seen,

Mr. Visible

• Member Contributer

A trailer. :goofy:

Seriously though, if you are new to long distance riding and plan to take a long trip, do a short overnight trip and make a list of what gear you need that don't have and have but don't really need.

GPS is essential for sure.

I also wore underarmor muscle mapping gear which greatly helps muscle fatigue and is worth the money. I had moose underwear (i forget the name) but they are like bicycle shorts with a gel padding in the crotch and foam armor around the tailbone and hips (very comfy).

I have been searching around for those type of bicycle/touring/gel shorts...Aerostitch swears by them, say's they are a key to all IronButt riders success.

• Member Contributer
I carry plexus with me and a rag to clean visors (definitely get a dark and a clear, very nice to not have to wear glasses) and bugs off the bike.

Question: Do we need suncream under the helmet? Do visors prevent sunburn?

• Member Contributer

For LD riding,

Camelback.

Aspirin.

Bicycle shorts.

Tunes (satellite radio, ipod etc).

Throttle Rocker/Throttlemeister.

Bungee net.

Tank bag.

Not required, but nice: a Corbin/Sergeant seat, hard luggage.

Awlittle-

Re: Aerostich- I love it! I have the one piece suit. It is so easy to get in and out of that your can strip it off in seconds. This is a major plus during hot weather riding. I can strip at a gas station and in fifteen seconds have my helmet and suit off. Being able to air it out during stops helps me on long days. The suit does get hot if you are sitting still in traffic (in warm weather), but once you move it cools right off. The back zip and the pit zips make a large difference. I went with all the extra armour they offer (hip pads and back protector). The suit is good in light rain. In a real down pour mine leaks at the crotch, but not too badly. I just bought some zipper seam sealer, which Aerostich says makes an improvement over stock. I'll report back on that one. Overall the suit is well worth the money: very good protection, comfortable in a very broad range of temperatures, lots of pockets where you want them, made to order, and lots of color choices (Hi-Viz in my case, I left stealth behind when I got the yellow bike). The suit is my best bike mod. wink.gif

From the long distance touring I have done, I would say the one piece Aerostich, GIVI hard bags, Throttlemeister, riding shorts, sheepskin seat pad, and Camelback (or similar) are the most important things I have. One note: in hot weather I do not like wearing the Camelback because it presses closed part of the back vent of the Aerostich. That is when I go to a platy bag in a Aerostich evappa wrappa. Keeps the water cool. :thumbsup:

Great thread. Loved Mr. Visible's comment about singing to oneself in the helmet. I did that during my two recent 400-mile slab days and it kept me pretty well entertained for a few of those long hours. (Lucky for me I know a lot of tunes, LOL!)

Among the list already presented, I already did:

Sargent

Extra brake and clutch levers

Tire repair kit w/CO2 cartridges

Extra pair of gloves

Cellphone w/charger

Debit/credit card and extra credit card for emergencies

AMA w/MoTow (instead of HRCA)

Ziplock baggies (in two sizes)

Extra bungees

I would add to the list:

Road ID (www.roadid.com - I have the wrist-worn model)

Well-stocked first aid kit

Swiss Army knife

Good multi-tool

Compass

Small water-resistant LED flashlight

Chain lube

Zipties in 2-3 lengths

Extra set of glasses or contact lenses (if you wear glasses)

AAA card (if you're a member) for hotel discounts

Extra sets of earplugs

Good paperback book (for relaxing at the end of the day or during any unplanned downtime)

Plenty of quarters for vending machines and tolls

• Member Contributer

Don't foget to use sunscreen on your neck I use a lotion with SPF 20 in it helps keep the face from drying on long rides. Also when I had an all mesh jacket I did receive a mild sunburn on my forearms.

In addition to all the excellent things previously mentioned I carry the following.

Non chemical flares (Used to carry Cyalumes in red but recently upgraded to LED which strobe and are visible for two miles) because bikes are harder to see at night than cars

Service manual in PDF both on my Ipod and my smartphone contemplating putting it on my USB drive

Paper maps(electronics do fail) with enough buffer to allow good bailout routes in case of some bad shit.

At least $2-300 in cash a good friend and fellow adventurer once said "when your survival is on the line always have the coin of the land"

Quaker oats chewy granola bars and tuna fish(packets not can for flavor, ease of use and weight/size) I am type 2 diabetic and if my sugar drops riding is hazardous

I might make a full list I am a bit OCD about packing. I treat long distance riding like hiking and pack accordingly.

• Member Contributer

Seems like you asked about tires way back there. I would recommend the Avon Azaros St45/46. They are excellent wet or dry and also provide good longevity. I wouldn't even leave the state on a D207. Another thing I learned about and it hasn't been mentioned here, after about the third day on the road, removing the helmet for gas or rest stops, the back of my earlobes were rubbed raw. I was trying to think of a cure for this and the best I could think of is maybe taping the earlobe with some of that clothlike medical dressing tape. It would probably stay on all day and reduce the abrasive effect of the helmet liner. Some thing you need to think about as your trip is much longer than mine was.

Ernie

• Member Contributer
Seems like you asked about tires way back there. I would recommend the Avon Azaros St45/46. They are excellent wet or dry and also provide good longevity. I wouldn't even leave the state on a D207. Another thing I learned about and it hasn't been mentioned here, after about the third day on the road, removing the helmet for gas or rest stops, the back of my earlobes were rubbed raw. I was trying to think of a cure for this and the best I could think of is maybe taping the earlobe with some of that clothlike medical dressing tape. It would probably stay on all day and reduce the abrasive effect of the helmet liner. Some thing you need to think about as your trip is much longer than mine was.

Ernie

My best piece of gear is this. Keeps my helmet from stinking, helps with ear plugs and prevents abrasion of my ears.

Default.jpg

Skull Cap

I've skimmed a good bit of this thread, so forgive if I'm repeating what's already been said...

1. Join a group that offers Roadside Assistance and make sure they'll cover you on the route your taking... HRCA or AMA, etc.

2. Call your Credit Card companies and let them know your route ahead of time.

3. Work on your "Core" muscles prior to the ride.

4. Get a decent windshield that blocks some or most of the airflow... airflow is killer. MRA Touring Screen, etc

5. Get decent earplugs and ear speakers, so you can switch out and give your ears a rest, but still block wind noise... ER6i's, Shure's, Drug store plugs (not the cheap foam ones).

6. Decent waterproof riding gear that keeps you from constantly having to change based on weather changes... you've got a 'Stitch, so that's cool. I use Belstaff, BMW Rain gloves, and Oxtar boots... works perfectly.

7. When the daily miles start adding up, take more frequent breaks and stretch. 10-15 minute rest stops off the bike really help you refocus.

8. Get a Sargent or Corbin seat. Although, I've had to have my Sargent re done such that it fits me better than their off the shelf setup. Another $100 bucks in the seat will have it conform better to you and with the addition of bicycle shorts you can't get much better than that.

9. As your riding along, constantly change positions to move your weight around. Stretch your legs, put them up on the buddy pegs, lay down on the tank, etc... MOVE around so all your muscles are put into play.

10. Try to plan your "major" stops together. Gas, food, bathroom breaks, etc, all in one stop, all close to each other. Ideally, you stop for gas, take some of your gear off ONCE and do everything you need to do before having to gear up again to ride somewhere else to eat... worse case, you take on fuel and then have to ride across the street to a Waffle House or something...

Having done a few long trips, I can only add a couple things:

1. Cash under the seat (seperate from the wallet, just in case)

2. If you have the room and will be in the boonies, extra gas. I've never had to use it, but it sure is nice to know you have it, not to mention, you can help others who are stranded. If you do choose to carry extra fuel, you can go to a camping store and buy little 1 liter aluminum cans made for camping stove alcohol.

I strongly second the zip ties and electical tape (smaller and better than duct tape if you ask me).

Mike

It seems that the stars have aligned and I am now jones-ing for my next long trip.

A couple of comments:

Heated grips - I agree, if you *know* it is going to be cold they can be worth it. But I have small hands and even the stock grips can be uncomfortable after a long day. I always carry six or so of the disposable chemical hand-warmer packs (and some foot packs too). I place the hand warmers on the underside of my wrists to keep the blood flowing and that's helped me through any number of cold/rainy rides.

Hand gun - My only comment is that I due my absolute best to keep nothing hard on my person when riding. I had a relatively minor spill last year and the thickness of my wallet (junk sadly, not money) gave me such a deep bruise that I was on crutches for a week. The idea of landing on something as hard as a handgun (presumably worn in a shoulder rig or in a pants pocket) is all kinds of painful sounding.

Straps - In addition to the belt on my riding pants (nylon with a fastex buckle) I carry at least a pair of extras tucked into my luggage. Great for unexpected strapping needs without the (to me) hassle of bungies.

Tape - easy enough to do on your own but I bought the "mini duct tape" rolls from Aerostich and also carry what I think they call "extreme tape". Highly adhesive, hign temperature rating. Never needed it for myself but did seal up a buddy's ruptured coolant hose with it.

• Member Contributer

I also carry a 12v soldering iron (and solder). The more elektrikel crap you have on the bike, the more you need one!

And safety (twist) wire. If you can't fix it with duct tape and safety wire, you can't fix it! (Oh, and bring some JB weld, too...)

The issue I've found w/r/t bicycle shorts is to avoid seams--I don't seem to need the extra padding the bikey-types need. I can comfortably do long distances on even stock seats so long as I'm not sitting on any seams...

Ciao,

I'm a fan of Converti-Bars and GrabOn grips. The bars can be changed in seconds

from sport to cruise, angle forward or back, up or down. VERY COOL.

Cycle shorts

nut powerder

I like to wear thin shocks under my athletic socks helps wick away and keep your feet cool and dry

camel backpack!

in my case back brace or kidney belt

Then all the other stuff the guys listed above but I have yet to make a LONG ride over night. I'm chicken

to get my ride stolen at a hotel. Then again I'll get bottom floor and pull that joker inside!

Archived