Essential Mods/gear For Long-range Touring?

Guest Mr. Visible

Question

Guest Mr. Visible

Hello Folks,

I want your opinion on what you (long range VFR sport tourers) see as the most essential bike mods/gear for extended long range trips. I am trying to prioritize my expenditures and maximize my pleasure/comfort/range/efficiency on my 5-8k midwest and mountain region three week tour next month (leaving early-mid June).

Here is the background. My route will include as little interstate as possible (probably 2-3,000 miles) and lots of remote roads/highways in NM, CO, WY, ID, WA, and MT. Lots of high elevation stuff. Lots of twisty roads. The more the better. I intend to camp most of the time with family/motel stops to recharge/destink. I expect daily mileage will range from 300-750/day (usually 500 or less). I have been on long trips before but not this long in time or distance. I will be riding solo (unless some of you want to join me for parts). I generally ride slow on the straight stuff and quicker on the curvy stuff (limit the tickets). I expect to see a wide range of temperatures. I do not plan to ride at night on anything other than interstates or major highways.

NOW TO THE POINT...

WHAT HELPS YOU RIDE FARTHER WHILE STAYING HAPPIER? What I want your help with, is prioritizing this list of not yet purchased stuff. I can't buy much (maybe $1000 worth). What on this list makes the most difference to you. Is there something that isn't on this list that should be a high priority item? Further below I have listed the gear/mods I have so far.

• 12v sockets and blue sea fuse block on relay: for phone charger, ipod, video camera, etc.

• voltmeter

• Sargent saddle

• GPS (Garmin Zumo, GPSmap 60CX, or eTrex Vista CX)

• Gen-mar bar risers

• radar detector with extra audio or LED output

• CB - good in emergency - I love helpful truckers/wingers

• Personal Locator Beacon (GPS or other)

• suspension upgrade (lindeman/racetech/etc) - I also have a 929 rear shock ready to install

• integrated auidio system (starcom 1) with speakers/plugs

• heated grips

• bike-to-cage guided missle system

• heated jacket

Mycurrent equipment is the following:

BIKE:

2000 VFR with 31k on clock (basically stock)

Tbr slip-on

K&N air filter

throttlemeister

led extra stop light

sheepskin saddle pad

LUGGAGE:

GIVI wingrack with E21 side cases and V46 topcase

good light-weight camping gear (tent, pad, sack, cook gear)

dry bag (for across pillion)

tankbag

RAM mounts: for camera, video camera, maybe ipod,...? (soon to arrive)

RIDING CLOTHING:

Aerostich one-piece suit

Grand Prix sympatex boots (can't remember the brand) or old Daytona off-road boots

Warm (Held) and cold weather gloves

Arai quantum f (hard to get in-ear speaker plugs under for me [sure E2s])

A wide assortment of patagonia long underwear {silk - heavyweight}

various fleece and wool vests and jackets (some windbloc)

Hot weather wicking shorts and tees

Bicycle shorts with pad

fleece neck sleeve

2 piece rain suit (will fit over 'stich for really sucky weather)

MISC

various water delivery systems - camelback, platy bag w/ evappawrappa, etc.

tools, tire patch kit, pump, chain lube, first aid kit, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions. What would you not leave home without (on a long trip)? Sorry about the long post. I hope this is an OK forum for this cross-over kind of question.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/style_e...ns/rolleyes.gif

Stay seen,

Mr. Visible

• Member Contributer
bike-to-cage guided missle system

I think this is a MUST HAVE!!! But Mrs. Lizard keeps denying my requisition!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Off/ Hmm, good thread. I am planning a long trip next year. I hoping to gather a lot of useful info.

On/ If you plan to ride long make sure that you helmet fits very well and you do not get pressure points while the helmet is on. Also make sure when you ride your helmet is as quite as possible. Pressure, pain, noise are distracting not safe and no fun.

Actually, I found 4 thing that I have to fix before my long trip.

1, Little knee pain (BLS lowering block should fix it),

2, Right wrist pain (Throttle locker or similar should fix it),

3, My ears sometimes get hot after an hour or so (I do notknow how to fix it yet)

4, My butt still gets uncomfortable after 2-3 hours of riding even on the Sargent seat.

All in all, my point is whatever distract or bother you should be fixed before you go!

Looks like you have a good start. The two things on that list that would be must haves for me on an extended trip are: Sargent seat, I have a corbin but I wouldn't want to ride 50 miles on my stock seat, and bar risers, which I don't have but would like to get someday. Two things that aren't on your list that I won't ride across town without are a cell phone and a credit card. Though I don't really use credit cards when you are 1000 miles from home and $h!t happens you can get back home by either fixing your bike or in a worse case senario you can fly or get a bus ride home.

Excellent thread, Mr. Visible. I have a fairly long trip coming up to Maine/Vermont in a few weeks, and am interested in the upcoming replies. You mention heated grips--yep. The Dual Star kit is great.

I would add this:

1) A spare set of brake and clutch levers, quickly and cheaply obtained on ePay. Light and easy to store (you could even tape them to the inside of fairings), and extremely valuable for those stupid "downs" when your foot slips on a pinecone after a long day in the saddle. Overall real damage will be minor, but the levers are bent into a "U" and you need some NOW.

2) Your spare key. Tape it to the underside of your seat area/behind hte tag bracket or just inside one of the various fairing vents, using that thin, very sticky aluminum ductwork tape (NOT crappy fabric duct tape). Or maybe inside your helmet somewhere. It must be accessible using only your fingers and fingernails.....NOT somewhere that you need your lost key to unlock or tools to get to! Anyway, the point is....there's no point in leaving it home. You might need it.

3) Handgun for tankbag.

• Member Contributer

My 2 cents:

The audio farkles, suspension stuff, is nice...it would be a less enjoyable trip without them, but...

The wrist/hand pain brought on by maintaining that 1/4 Vulcan death grip on the throttle?

Get a throttle lock of some kind, preferably a top-drawer system like a Throttlemeister. What good are 1000's of MP3 when your wrist is throbbing throughout the day?

I did a trip out to the Grand Canyon from Basalt Colorado a couple weeks ago. The following may be helpful:

small spray bottle of windex to clean visor and tissues (serve as TP too)

duct tape -never know when it may come in handy

puncture repair kit

after market windshield

tire pressure gauge

• Member Contributer

Beginning of a great thread. Sounds like you already have some great gear. But if you have ever found yourself thinking about your keester, that Sargent does sound like a winning mod.

I like the extra key suggestion. For the luggage, too.

Give your valve stems a second look for dry or brittle appearance, too. What a miserable way to get stranded (among others...).

And of course...don't forget to fill us all in after the fact for what we all missed!

How excellent to get such quick feeback.

Oyama -

You have cut to the chase. I want to minimizes distracting pain.

1. My Arai helmet fits like a glove. No head pain there after long rides.
  2. And yes, ear plugs are a necessity. I were them on anything longer than a 5 minute ride.
  3. My butt has survived a near 750 mile day in the stock seat with sheep skin cover and bicycle shorts, but it wasn't pretty. My butt is not looking forward to multiple 500+ mile days without a better saddle. So, I think the Sargent seat is rising to near the top of my list.
  4. My wrists are OK despite previous RSI injuries (computer and woodworking related). They only stay that way because I have throttlemeister, I also carry a throttle rocker but don't like it much.

Gap Trash -

I also always carry a phone and credit card. I make sure to carry the phone, in my suit in an easily accessible pocket, in case of having the misfortune of becoming mangled while still having the good fortune of being somewhere with a cell signal. Like you I would like to try bar risers, but I think the helis look a bit tall and spendy for me, maybe the gen-mar.

Trace -

I also carry a spare key, but I carry it in my suit. Hiding it on the bike is a good idea I should consider. I also carry spare levers and have needed them during embarassing moment in Fort Bragg, CA. Pulling into a parking lot on her old Katana my wife nearly got hit by a caged idiot. She freaked and fell over. I had already left the parking lot for the main street (Hwy 1). I looked over my shoulder to find her and her bike down in front of said cage. I got scarred and hoped of my bike quick. I did put the side stand down. Ran over to help my wife. She and her bike were fine. I turned around just in time to see a gust of wind blow my brand-new-to-me VFR over onto the curbstone. In my anxiety I hadn't noticed that I parked parallel to the curb on a heavily crowned road. Big oops. sad.gif I had to finish that tour looking dogeared (no right mirror), but the spare lever saved the day. As for the hand cannon, I don't carry one so as to limit my problems when the Man catches me doing Warp 11. Could be good for bears, tin cans and other things, I suppose?

Sirimi -

I have the throttlemeister and absolutely love it. So nicely made!

Skiwi-

I also carry windex, duct tape, tire puncture repair kit, and a tire pressure gauge. Aftermarket screen is a good idea. What kind of wind screen do you like and does it really do much for minimizing buffetting/noise?

GG1-

Valve stem inspection is a great idea for prep. I do carry a spare luggage key on a ring with spares for all of my lockable gear (ignition, U-disc lock, heavy cable lock, light cable lock, helmet and clothing cable locks).

Thanks for the help. Any opinions on tires for the long haul/extra weight on rear. My D207RRs are about half gone. I ride fairly hard (in my own mind), but don't seem to eat tires that fast. Might need to stop in Denver, Bozeman, or Missoula for new tread, if not before I leave. Anybody out there know how cold it is early morning riding in late June at high altitudes in the Rockies?

Thanks all for the ideas.

• Member Contributer

For my $1000, these 4 would be key:

12v sockets and blue sea fuse block on relay: for phone charger, ipod, video camera, etc.

Gotta keep your phone charged for emergencies, plus tunes would be nice

Sargent saddle

Stock seat on my 2003 might as well been a brick

GPS (Garmin Zumo, GPSmap 60CX, or eTrex Vista CX)

Am terribly spoiled by GPS and have it now in both cars, will be my next bike purchase if i keep the vfr

Gen-mar bar risers

Nice for the long straight bits

The risers and the extra sockets are cheep. The GPS and seat will eat most of your coin... but will make a huge difference in the quality of the trip.

Have fun and keep us posted!

The sargent would be my #1 to add to your allready impressive list. Gear that helps you stay comfortable and fit also helps you to stay out of trouble so you don't need to carry a bunch of spare parts :D

You allready mentioned the bicycle shorts and patagonia technical underwear. The latter is what I would highly recommend to everyone, not just those that are going on extended trips.

Now to add to your list: a clear face shield and sunglasses: one with dark, and one with yellow lenses.

Sounds like your list should now be complete. If you look at an AeroStitch catalog, (which I assume you have already) they show just about everything you would possibly need for a long trip.

Take plenty of pictures for us and keep us posted on how it's going. We are all highly envious of you. :thumbsup:

I just ordered a spring for my 929 shock from Lindeman. Only $100.00 to make the bike's suspension right, you know?

As for heated grips get the dual star or one of the other kits that is basically just a heating element you stuff under your existing grips. at about 20.00 bucks you can't beat the bang for the buck.

GPS can avoid an incredibly frustrating situation. You know there aren't many things I hate more than getting lost.

BTW, don't go anywhere without earplugs. Even if you have isolating earphones, sometimes you won't want to listen and good earplugs block more wind noise and are more comfortable.

• Member Contributer

If you're keen on saving a little cash on your seating situation, I found that for my 5,600+ mile trip out to Utah and back GenMar risers and a stock seat that has about an inch of the foam shaved down really helped my riding position. I sat on a Sargent and a Corbin and realized that in addition to having a very nice shape for my rear they were essentially just set lower than the stock seat. It takes some time to make sure you get what you want when you are shaving down the stock seat and of course you only get one shot to get it right. However if you are like I was I had already decided I was going to get a Sargent and said what the hell, I'll give this a try first and if I screw it up I'm getting a Sargent. The only thing about it was that I'm 6'2" and losing an inch of seat height really kept my legs and hips cocked more that I would have liked, but i just did a lot of standing up and stretching while cruising down the road. BTW, the further west you go the nicer motorists get. East coast cagers suck balls!!! Why is everyone so competative? :goofy:

Good luck on your trip.

From your list I would probably spend the money on the seat, the GPS (consider a Garmin 2730 with integrated XM radio, discontinued but available everywhere at a great price), and the detector.....and of course all the other stuff everyone else mentioned :thumbsup: .

If you put a handgun in your tank bag, make sure you know the laws of every state you'll be traveling through.

I'd be more inclined to carry it on your person, unless you're going to take the tankbag with you at EVERY stop. Plus, if you need that heater, are you going to have time to get it from the tankbag?

I'm all for carrying, but please do it safely and more-or-less legally. You don't want an out of state weapons charge.

SA

• Member Contributer
... Two things that aren't on your list that I won't ride across town without are a cell phone and a credit card. Though I don't really use credit cards when you are 1000 miles from home and $h!t happens you can get back home by either fixing your bike or in a worse case senario you can fly or get a bus ride home.

Additionally, take more than one Credit or Debit card with you and have your bank's 1-800 number handy. I got my card denied twice. Once because I used it too many times (I was buying gas every two hours during my iron butt ride). The second time it was denied because I used it far away from my home town too many times. (Actually it was only 125miles and 3 times and they denied the fourth time) :goofy:

So, make sure you have plenty of cash with you too. Small bills in many pockets. No one needs unwanted attention because of the lot of cash in hands.

As far as the handgun, be aware that it is illegal to have in any national park. As an alternative, you can pick up a can of bear spray: 40 ft x 10ft spray area and will take down anything smaller than, well...a bear.

I think the stock seat gets too much of a bad rap. It can be good for several hundred miles a day. I recently got an airhawk seat which I'm quite happy with. 1/2 the price, adjustable, massively reduces swamp ass, and if you don't mind resting your head where your arse has been, it makes a great pillow/seat while camping.

I'm not sure what your using for music, but I recommend a set of helmet speakers. If you need more audio boost, check the aerostich catalog for the boostaroo-works as advertised.

Other than that, pack less clothes than you think. I'm down to 1 extra pair of jeans, 2 shirts, 2 socks no matter how long the trip. More is less, especially when you are carrying camping gear. Do you have a tire repair kit? HRCA membership w/ tow? Chainlube? I carry plexus with me and a rag to clean visors (definitely get a dark and a clear, very nice to not have to wear glasses) and bugs off the bike. Extra bungies are a must.

If you go GPS, be sure its waterproof and always carry a good ol' paper map, sometimes the GPS loses its mind. You've got more and better gear than I've had on very long trips. :thumbsup:

BTW-I use the exact givi setup with a tankbag.

• Member Contributer
So, I think the Sargent seat is rising to near the top of my list.

If you haven't order this by now, you might be cutting it close. Most places don't stock 'em and place an order with Sargent who usually has to make it but WON'T drop ship to you so it really slows things down. BTDT.

A great piece of advice I got from a very seasoned Viffer traveler: don't perform major work/maintainence on your bike within one month of leaving (tires being an obvious exception).

• Member Contributer

About to embark on another tour of California this weekend and because of previous experiences I consider the following upgrades essential.

1. Heated grips with Progrips - cheap I have Symtec and hooked them to Bluesea

2. Electric vest - saves big time/stowage on other layers. Aerostich but all are good.

3. Sargent seat - Thanks VFRD. I have been able to handle 300 miles days with the stock but after a couple of days I start to fade.

3. Would you believe a Zumo. :goofy:

• Member Contributer
Skiwi-

... What kind of wind screen do you like and does it really do much for minimizing buffetting/noise?

How much did your ride with your tank bag on the bike and how big is it? The reason I am asking is because when I was riding with my 21 liter bag fully expanded I did not have too much wind buffeting. The bag nicely deflected the wind from my chest/helmet area above my helmet.

Seriously folks I have no intention of ever carrying a firearm on a motorcycle. I'm just not THAT paranoid about the world I ride in. I was trying to make a wee joke about it. I can tell from reading other threads that this is a contentious debate at times on this site. As I will never consider a firearm as part of my moto travel gear let's drop the gun chat from this thread. FYI, I am a hunter and target shooter but not a moto-gunslinger. Let's move on to better things...

(bear spray is a good tip)

I just ordered the Sargent seat. My ass is cheering. :D :D :D

Starting to work on the electrical orders. Wow that Powerlet stuff is expensive. Is it worth it? I do like the slick stem and rearset socket kit packages. Does any one know what holds the stem socket in place. Can I get just the socket and wire it myself or do I need some special part that only comes in the kit? It seems like and inline fuse is redundant if I am pluging into blue sea fuse block (with relay). Any thoughts on where to get Powerlet or similar parts for less money (casporttour is ok but not cheap). I kind of enjoyed wiring the powerboat I built from scratch. This should be a walk in the park (but less space).

Another question: Are there any compatability issues between the dual star heated grips and my Throttlemeister?

A great piece of advice I got from a very seasoned Viffer traveler: don't perform major work/maintainence on your bike within one month of leaving (tires being an obvious exception).

This seems wise. I will put off major suspension work for later. All of the electrical mods I plan will be isolated at the Blue Sea block, so if there are problems I can ditch the electric/electronic crap without much of an issue. I can always charge phone/camera batteries at truck stops/coffee shops, etc. As to music, I have never had it on the bike. I alway just use foam earplugs to quiet a long loud day. On long trips I find myself singing to myself. Could be interstate boredom or early-onset dementia, not sure which. Good thing nobody can hear me. I would love to listen to my ipod. At this point a simple solution like the boostaroo amp seems good. I should look for cheap slim in-helmet speakers. I have been unable to successfully don my helmet with my Sure E2c earspeakers in. I need something really low profile.

One the maps vs GPS issue: I always carry maps. I like the big picture. I figure GPS might be nice for avoiding missing a turn on some minor road or finding the nearest gas (if you have a fancy one). I love the gadgets but I also enjoy the adventure (mistakes) which gadgets are designed to save you from. Does anyone have a favorite map publisher. Which maps are easiest to read or contain the most usefull information (read: really minor roads)?

More questions: Is the GIVI windscreen any good?

Does anyone know of a deer/moose/elk deterent that actually works? I read something somewhere that suggested that those wistles don't do squat. Biggest fears: cagers on cell phones, men in blue with microwave emitters, dumb deer/moose/elk, yokels hogging both sides of single track roads. I fear what I can't control.

Better sign off for now. Thanks again for all the great feedback. Did I say before? What a great forum/site!

Stay Visible,

Mr. Y2K Pearl Yellow dressed all in Hi-Viz

Can't help you on the power issues, I always turn my phone off and charge it at the occasional hotel, gas station stop. An expensive but nice heated hand grip option is the factory grips (must be ordered from UK). While pricey (especially with the exchange rate), the factory unit has about 9 settings and shuts the system off when it senses overload on the charging system. A nice feature if you have added power draining farkles and/or are under warranty with Honda. IIRC price is about $200 USD and takes around a week to arrive (amazing given the distance-UK to Phx). The grips are slightly less comfy than stock, bigger and rougher.

Carry at least 2 pairs of gloves (warm and summer pair is what I carry. Also, carry 2 small plastic bags to keep the gloves dry in a down pour. No motorcycle glove is truly waterproof, otherwise it would be made of rubber. Spray down anything you can with Scotchguard.

How do you like the Aerostich? 1 piece or 2 piece?

• Member Contributer

Powerlet project is easy. Socket just presses in. Very clean install. Can not even remember where I got mine.

med_gallery_2144_2760_16329.jpg

Also got the cig lighter size adapter.

There are several good Bluesea posts on this board. I have Bluesea pictures/wiring in my 'Tales of Zumo' post.

I have a Stich two piece as well.

I rode 1500+ miles on my trip to Deals Gap. I have helibars, throttlemeister, ZG double bubble screen (huge help for my 6ft frame), mp 3 player with ER6is earbuds, and a corbin saddle. I also wore underarmor muscle mapping gear which greatly helps muscle fatigue and is worth the money. I had moose underwear (i forget the name) but they are like bicycle shorts with a gel padding in the crotch and foam armor around the tailbone and hips (very comfy). I felt great up there and pretty worn out when i got home. Of course we did all this in about three days.

What I would do differently:

-Heated Grips

-Adding a Beaded seat

-Power Outlet

-Bicycle gel gloves (very small and fit inside normal riding gloves)

-Olympia Phantom Suit in Hi-Viz

-Make more stops than just gas stops when riding 550 miles straight!

-Having a FJR to ride it in...LOL

Guest Jonchilds

I did a 10,000km trip with just a tank bag, and a sleeping bag on the back.

This included 2x 1100km days at the insanely slow 110kph speed limit across the Nullarbor (google-it) cos my insurance company will kick me if I get more tickets.

Looking back, everything went relatively smootlhy, even though the bike burnt out the alternator in the bike-capital of Australia.

MUST take:

Earplugs/noise cancelling headphones (noise fatigue is terrible after an hour going in a straight line)

Tankbag with map window

Tankbag sized map book covering everywhere you're planning to go (and could possibly go)

5mm Allen key (to remove fairings)

Replaced your 8mm hex socket in the tool-kit with something stronger.

Spare R/R if you're going miles from a Honda dealer

Multimeter, jump wires (not jump leads) and electrical tape. (Can you tell I've been bitten)

Tyre repair kit & Handpump (or CO2 canisters)

NextG Phone (Best coverage in Australia, unsure of elsewhere) and charger - Keep phone off when travelling so you don't have to recharge daily.

5-10L of spare fuel

Tinted visor (and a clear one)

I wouldn't bother with GPS - take a map and enjoy the ride by yourself.

Heated bits - wouldn't bother unless you know it's gonna be cold. Always a good excuse to stop for a coffee.

I think you can live without most of the stuff everyone has mentioned, depending where you're going. Major centres aren't as isolated in the US as they are in Australia for the most part, so you should be able to get away with what you can carry in a tankbag.

Don't overload your bike, or yourself. Take it easy and enjoy the ride.

Don't fit different tyres before going - stick with the devil you know.

Archived