Flip-flopping A Rear Tire

Guest nummy

Guest nummy

Hello everyone -

Have you, or do you know anyone, who flipped-around a rear track tire?

I ride at two tracks that are 90% right-hand turns.

As you can imagine, the right side of the tire wears-out rather quickly, while the left side looks new. I was told by a rider last year that he always flips his rear tire around (the arrow pointing backwards) to get more life out of his rear tire.

I have heard stories about radial ply layers being stacked only one-way, and concerns about side-wall stability, but what is the REAL story?

Tire dealers, manufacturers, and distributers, make their profits based on volume, so their opinion might be in conflict.

I'm an old guy who rides slow on the track, and doesn't come close to abusing my rear tires. Also, I never ride in the rain, so the direction of the grooves/treads on my Dunlop Sport Max tires does not matter.

Has anyone out there tried this?

Thanks for your help !

nummy

I don't think that would be a good idea, especially since you're running the tire on the track at track speeds. Yes, tires are constructed in such a way that running them backwards could cause them to come apart. I'm not saying that it's a 100% guaranteed that your tire would catastrophically fail if you reversed it, but it is a definite possibility. I know people who've seen tires on the brink of failure because they were installed backwards.

I've heard of dirt track racers doing that since they only turn left.

Then again, they have no brakes, and don't use D208's or Pilot Powers. :rolleyes:

Personally I don't see how saving a few bucks (what $25 or so?) is worth the risk. <_<

• Member Contributer

Ask the tire distributor (or a few of them). The Michelin guys say it is OK to flip the PR series, but I have heard that it is not OK to flip some other tires.

• Member Contributer
Personally I don't see how saving a few bucks (what $25 or so?) is worth the risk. <_<

Because race tires are close to $400 for a set and only last a day or two (or a few laps/minutes if you are really fast).

• Member Contributer

construction wise ...radials have the belts in layers at 90* .. for and aft..and side to side..

fliping it shounld not be a problem....

on the bias tires the betlts runa at an angle tp the rim...45*.. then other layers at 45*.. they have a bad rep for fliping the tires.. unless its on a hardley.. were they have the same tire F & R ..just mounted different !!!

I've done it for years and never had a problem.

I've flipped Dunlops 336, 207gp, 208gp, Pirelli Supercorsas, Mezler Ractechs, Bridgestone BT002... no problem.

2 days in a row on a track that is heavily biased will make you do it... ie; Jennings and Nashville to the left, Talladega and Daytona to the right.

I've flipped Dunlops 336, 207gp, 208gp, Pirelli Supercorsas, Mezler Ractechs, Bridgestone BT002... no problem.

2 days in a row on a track that is heavily biased will make you do it... ie; Jennings and Nashville to the left, Talladega and Daytona to the right.

:rolleyes:

I do it all the time and have had no problems whatsoever!

I have heard of one brand tire that they didn't recommend doing it to, but can't remember which or if it is true. Your track side suppliers will tell you straight.

Here is a new Michelin rear with only 1 track day at Nashville and the left side is toast, if I would have flipped it a few sessions earlier I would us it some more.

Nashvilletrackday4-21-07012.jpg

Did you notice any difference in handling after you flipped them?

nummy

+1.gif

I do it all the time and have had no problems whatsoever!

I have heard of one brand tire that they didn't recommend doing it to, but can't remember which or if it is true. Your track side suppliers will tell you straight.

Here is a new Michelin rear with only 1 track day at Nashville and the left side is toast, if I would have flipped it a few sessions earlier I would us it some more.

Nashvilletrackday4-21-07012.jpg

I don't normally do it, but ended up doing it last time at Jennings with a Michelin and had no issues at all. For a while I think racers were doing it on the front with D207's. Next thing you know when the D208's came out, the tread pattern was reversed. They must have figured out something worked better that way.

I don't think there would be any problems. I strongly believe that the arrows are there only to get the rain grooves oriented for street riding. I was at Reg Pridmore's CLASS day last year. He had the front Dunlop Qualifier mounted opposite as mine (his was backwards from the arrow rotation). I asked him about it and he told me it had better braking feel with it mount that way. That was his opinion anyway. I am only stating that if he can do it, it must be OK for me to do it.

• Member Contributer

Flipping is common at the track -- the only warning I've heard is just don't run the flipped tire in the rain. :unsure:

Archived