Someone Please Decide For Me

chris2992

• Member Contributer

Both of these units are about $250 off ebay, so price is not the issue. Which is best, I have read about them until delusional and it still doesn't make sense to me. I just want a decent entry leval gps, I want to rid my life of paper maps and slowly work into the world of gps. So which would you choose and why, Garmin Quest or the Magellan Roadmate 700?

Garmin Quest

garmin_quest_overview_en.jpg

Magellan Roadmate 700

Magellan-Roadmate-700-2.jpg

• Member Contributer

well all i can say I use Nuvi 360 best off everything and it has blue tooth so u can hookup your phone and MP3 player good luck.

ravi

• Member Contributer
Both of these units are about $250 off ebay, so price is not the issue. Which is best, I have read about them until delusional and it still doesn't make sense to me. I just want a decent entry leval gps, I want to rid my life of paper maps and slowly work into the world of gps. So which would you choose and why, Garmin Quest or the Magellan Roadmate 700?

I am a horrible decision maker. I can easily narrow down selection to 2 or 3 best options but then I have no idea... What I have learned over time to do is to toss a coin. First I seriously decide that what ever shows up - will be my final choice. No questioning there. Then, I decide always which side is which option and then very seriously toss the coin. As I am catching the coin, I often have some small wish in my head - it appears there always as I am catching the coin. Something like "Garmin, please..." but without the words. If that small wishfull thinking goes through my mind while the tossing process, I go with whatever I was wishing for and don't even look at the result of the toss. If my mind is blank and there is no 'little wish', then I go with whatever the toss shows.

Most important is to know, that whatever you decide, it will be a great choice. Both products are good items.

Martina

• Member Contributer

I've got the Garmin Quest 2. I like it because it has all the roads (primary and secondary) in the USA pre-loaded. That way when I ride from Dallas to California and then take a trip back to my parents in Peoria, IL, I don't have to mess with loading differents maps.

Pros: It can work off the bike (portable)

Pro or Con: Yes it's smaller than most, but on a sport type bike (like the VFR) we don't have a lot of space (like a shelf on a ST1300, etc.) so I like it because it is not so bulky.

Note: I still plot my trips out on maps and have them in the clear pouch on the top of my tank bag. But that's just a personal thing.

Good luck with your choice.

ki-speed (Mark)

I bought a Quest from a fellow member here and like the size, portable, nice mounting system, good maps, nice screen. I vote for the garmin .....

• Member Contributer

Chris, I have the Quest and think its fantastic. The only draw back is that on a ride more than 4 or 5 days, you will need to add maps because the memory in the Quest (115mb) isn't all that large. The Quest 2 has the entire Nation loaded, but I hear the rerouting takes longer because it has more info to sift through. Other than the 1 thing, I love it.

• Member Contributer
well all i can say I use Nuvi 360 best off everything and it has blue tooth so u can hookup your phone and MP3 player good luck.

ravi

%201.gif

Look into a Garmin Nuvi.

It is by far the best portable GPS system out there.

It is not "entry level", but once you buy it, you will never want to use anything else.

I've done extensive research before I bought mine. Originally, I was not planning to spend that much money, but after reading the reviews and talking to actual owners, I realized that paying less for something else is a waste of money.

I've had it for about 2-3 years now and can honestly say that this was the best money I've ever spent on a gizmo.

It does something no other GPS can (don't ask m why) - It tells you the name of the street onto which you must turn instead of just "turn right is 300ft". This small detail gives me the ability not to look at the screen at all. This is a huge plus while riding a motorcycle. I just put it in my pocket and plug in the headphones - works like a charm. Never been lost since.

Oh, and one more thing... You never need to load maps. Entire North America (or Europe) is there already. You can add Europe map for a fee.

This may not help but here is my $0.02: I don't have any experience with the Garmin, but I HATE my Magellan Explorist. I loaned it to my father in law and I'm hoping he looses or breaks it in Hawaii.

ravi

%201.gif

Look into a Garmin Nuvi.

It is not "entry level", but once you buy it, you will never want to use anything else.

I've done extensive research before I bought mine. Originally, I was not planning to spend that much money, but after reading the reviews and talking to actual owners, I realized that paying less for something else is a waste of money.

I've had it for about 2-3 years now and can honestly say that this was the best money I've ever spent on a gizmo.

It does something no other GPS can (don't ask m why) - It tells you the name of the street onto which you must turn instead of just "turn right is 300ft". This small detail gives me the ability not to look at the screen at all. This is a huge plus while riding a motorcycle. I just put it in my pocket and plug in the headphones - works like a charm. Never been lost since.

Oh, and one more thing... You never need to load maps. Entire North America (or Europe) is there already. You can add Europe map for a fee.

Isn't the Nuvi more than his price range though?

• Member Contributer

ravi

%201.gif

Look into a Garmin Nuvi.

Isn't the Nuvi more than his price range though?

Nuvi 350, the one I have, sells for about $400 on eBay.

So, I would say that it definately worth spending extra $150 for a superior product. At least this is what I would do if I were him.

• Member Contributer

The Nuvi, though more than I want to spend, isn't that far from my price range. That is if the entry level Nuvi 350 is adiquite, ebay has those for around $375. My only concern is the size and that it is a touch screen only. It looks much larger than the quest or 700. As of now, I am leaning towards the quest I, I have found it for about $200 shipped, and that is hard to pass up. I really am just looking for something to see if I will even use it. I don't want to blow $400 or $500 on something that sets in my closet. Thanks for the help guys, keep the suggestions coming, I'm still listening.

• Member Contributer
The Nuvi, though more than I want to spend, isn't that far from my price range. That is if the entry level Nuvi 350 is adiquite, ebay has those for around $375. My only concern is the size and that it is a touch screen only. It looks much larger than the quest or 700. As of now, I am leaning towards the quest I, I have found it for about $200 shipped, and that is hard to pass up. I really am just looking for something to see if I will even use it. I don't want to blow $400 or $500 on something that sets in my closet. Thanks for the help guys, keep the suggestions coming, I'm still listening.

To address your concerns:

Touch screen only - the interface is so good, that you don't need extra buttons.

The size - it is the size of a deck of cards. I've never seen anything smaller.

HERE is a good review.

• Member Contributer

I vote for the Quest with a ram mount secured by your front tank mounting bolts like on my bike.

vfrbags3.jpg

• Member Contributer

The only one mentioned here that I have used is the Quest, so I can't give much of a comparison, but I love the quest, it works perfect for the bike with its size, screen, and being waterproof. I wish the buttons were on the left side instead of the right, and it can be a little slow to find things sometimes, but overall it is the best motorcycle gadget I have purchased by far.

• Member Contributer

Chris...if what's shown is the Quest 2 :goofy: , don't pass it up...buy it now! Had mine since last summer...has all the maps of North America pre-loaded...waterproof to 1 meter and nice size screen...easy to read on the VFR or my Harley. Ron

• Member Contributer

One of my friends had a Roadmate on his FZ1 and it was a total PITA due to the GPS not handling the vibes from the bike.

Also was not waterproof, and was not portable. He now has a Garmin.

I have the Quest and I love it.

The 115MB storage is no problem for me since I travel with a laptop anyway.

The Quest is portable as well, so you can use it on or off the bike/car.

The Garmin Mapsource software is easier to use than that of Magellan.

I've had both Garmin and Magellan GPS' and I prefer Garmin for ease of use and practicality.

I have a Roadmate 700 and I wouldn't use it on a motorcycle. It isn't waterproof and I doubt the hard drive would survive.

I have a Meridian Gold for the motorcycle. It uses SD card for maps and is waterproof. It also works when you go into an area that isn't on a map. The Meridian is more of a navigation GPS and goives you more info than you could need at the expense of turn by turn routing. (Although it is available with an upgrade to the latest version OS.) On a motorcycle, I don't want 'routing' I want the ability to backtrack and get out of an area I've gotten lost in. They MG is also available on eBay for around $50 american.

• Member Contributer

I just want to say Zumo but...............Quest would be my pick. That way you could learn Mapsource and be ready for the next Generation the Zumo2 1868.

med_gallery_2144_2760_467586.jpg

• Member Contributer

Ravi, Rice and my Wife convinced me to go ahead and get the nicer unit, rather than buy a lower level unit for a little less money and be less satisfied. So I picked up a Garmin Nuvi 350 for none less than $350 bucks on ebay. Thanks for all the input guys, report coming when it comes in.

• Member Contributer
Both of these units are about $250 off ebay, so price is not the issue. Which is best, I have read about them until delusional and it still doesn't make sense to me. I just want a decent entry leval

I bought a Quest 2 for my trip to New England last August - it died before I even got a block away from home :-( They sent me a replacement after I returned from my trip - I used it on a trip that my bike odometer said was 420 miles, my friend's GPS reported 425 miles and my new Quest 2 said I had ridden 550 miles! I though maybe it was just something I did wrong - so I used it again to ride to work one morning and I watched it jump from 8 miles to 15 mile in about 300 feet! By the time I got to work, it reported 18 miles for my 11 mile trip! SO how does that impact all the other calculations it was giving me?

To be fair, I had been using it in the mountains, and it would occasionally lose the signal - however, I felt the software should have been smart enough to recalculate based on last known position and new position just how much distance had been travelled.

Final decision - I sent the Quest 2 back for a refund and still have a bunch of Quest 2 stuff (mounting brackets etc.) left over - ended up losing about $200 in accessory stuff and re-stocking fee, and am now convinced that I do not want to fool with GPS anymore until they are cheaper and more reliable (at least that was my experience with two Quest 2's) Just spent some time riding the Texas hill country with paper maps and had no failures - no problems....

• Member Contributer
Both of these units are about $250 off ebay, so price is not the issue. Which is best, I have read about them until delusional and it still doesn't make sense to me. I just want a decent entry leval

I bought a Quest 2 for my trip to New England last August - it died before I even got a block away from home :-( They sent me a replacement after I returned from my trip - I used it on a trip that my bike odometer said was 420 miles, my friend's GPS reported 425 miles and my new Quest 2 said I had ridden 550 miles! I though maybe it was just something I did wrong - so I used it again to ride to work one morning and I watched it jump from 8 miles to 15 mile in about 300 feet! By the time I got to work, it reported 18 miles for my 11 mile trip! SO how does that impact all the other calculations it was giving me?

To be fair, I had been using it in the mountains, and it would occasionally lose the signal - however, I felt the software should have been smart enough to recalculate based on last known position and new position just how much distance had been travelled.

Final decision - I sent the Quest 2 back for a refund and still have a bunch of Quest 2 stuff (mounting brackets etc.) left over - ended up losing about $200 in accessory stuff and re-stocking fee, and am now convinced that I do not want to fool with GPS anymore until they are cheaper and more reliable (at least that was my experience with two Quest 2's) Just spent some time riding the Texas hill country with paper maps and had no failures - no problems....

FYI latest Sirf chip in the Zumo locks in fast and does not loose sync. But not cheaper <_<

• Member Contributer

I own a Garmin Quest.

It is my first real GPS unit, but I love it.

My last one was a unit that plugged into my ancient Handspring Visor PDA.

I have had no problems with the unit or using it.

I like the fact I can use it in my car, truck on the motorcycle or as a hand-held.

My vote goes to Garmin.

sPOTO

Archived