Michelin Pilot Roads?

Guest cseger1

Guest cseger1

Anyone else on Pilot Roads? Anyone find them slippery? I recently did a full suspension service on my 01 including new wheel bearings, steering bearings and fork oil. I lowered the triples about 12 mm from stock. Before the service I was really babying the bike through corners because the old steering bearings were giving me a big wobble. Since the service and adjustments I have been leaning it over harder and carrying more speed through turns. The rear wheel has really been spinning in corner exits lately. I love the handling of these tires, but the grip seems terrible. I have 1000 miles on them so I don't think its mold release. Any ideas?

Don't know. I did a track day once at Barber on my 5th gen on Pilot Roads and thought they were great! Probably only a couple seconds off real race tire pace..

A 12mm drop is a big one, maybe it's just too much leading you to feel the twitchiness like a spinning tire or lack of confidence in the front end.

For what it's worth, I've spun the rear on my VFR a few times, but it's always been at racetrack speeds and lean angles... and even then it felt in control and predictable.

Guest cseger1
Don't know. I did a track day once at Barber on my 5th gen on Pilot Roads and thought they were great! Probably only a couple seconds off real race tire pace..

A 12mm drop is a big one, maybe it's just too much leading you to feel the twitchiness like a spinning tire or lack of confidence in the front end.

For what it's worth, I've spun the rear on my VFR a few times, but it's always been at racetrack speeds and lean angles... and even then it felt in control and predictable.

The front end feels wonderful with the drop. Its definitely not twitchyness, but spin out of the corner. It almost feels like oil on the road. I have 24k on this bike using Bridgestones, and Dunlops in the past. Spinning was never an issue. The spins are not out of control so much as unexpected. When I release a little throttle she hooks up again. I am worried about high siding.

Your comments about the track day are very helpful. Thanks,

• Member Contributer

Without lowering the rear some, the 12mm may be enough front drop to keep you from transfering enough weight to the rear under acceleration, or the transfer is too slow. Flip the triangle in the rear and see what it acts like while still leaving the 12mm front drop....................... :thumbsup:

Guest cseger1
Without lowering the rear some, the 12mm may be enough front drop to keep you from transfering enough weight to the rear under acceleration, or the transfer is too slow. Flip the triangle in the rear and see what it acts like while still leaving the 12mm front drop....................... :thumbsup:

Sounds like a reasonable culprit. I am installing a 929 shock next week, can I just make the bracket extension a little shorter to bring the geometry back towards stock?

• Member Contributer

You may be a little too extreme on the front end at 12mm, try doing 5mm instead.

I hate roads. The front would cup so badly at less than 50% mileage that the bars would oscillate back and forth when turning, and the rear would be super slick by about 50% wear as well – and they weren’t sticky to begin with. Ditch the roads and get some Pilot Powers if you want performance.

• Member Contributer

Flipping the triangle might make for a "Quick Check" to see if it makes a difference. Easy to put back again............. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
You may be a little too extreme on the front end at 12mm, try doing 5mm instead.

I hate roads. The front would cup so badly at less than 50% mileage that the bars would oscillate back and forth when turning, and the rear would be super slick by about 50% wear as well – and they weren’t sticky to begin with. Ditch the roads and get some Pilot Powers if you want performance.

Ditto here on the Pilot Powers.....I'm not a "performance" rider, but My bike now feels so much different / better, that I'll probably never go back to Pilot Roads. If wear is a lot quicker, I'll just bite the bullet and replace em' more often.................. :thumbsup: :beer:

Guest cseger1

Ditto here on the Pilot Powers.....I'm not a "performance" rider, but My bike now feels so much different / better, that I'll probably never go back to Pilot Roads. If wear is a lot quicker, I'll just bite the bullet and replace em' more often.................. :thumbsup: :beer:

I don't have any cupping. Just the spin. Ohterwise I like the way they handle. I'll try 5mm and see what I get.

• Member Contributer
I don't have any cupping. Just the spin. Ohterwise I like the way they handle. I'll try 5mm and see what I get.

If you like the way they handle you would LOVE Powers wink.gif The difference between them makes it feel like a different bike. The Roads wiggle and slide when getting close to a decent lean angle (far from dragging hard parts). The Powers feel solid and planted when knees, header, and fairing are on the ground, and turn in feel difference is just amazing.

• Member Contributer

I'm on my 3rd set of Roads and really like them. Maybe my extra tonnage keeps them planted but I did notice that they take a good while to warm up when it's really cold.

i have to say i like the pilot roads. I haven't had any problems dragging pegs on them. had a VERY emergency stop one day as well and they pulled me up with the back wheel off the ground but didnt ever feel like they were going to give up on me. I have no doubt that the powers are better, thats exactly what they are designed to be, but they cost more and dont last anywhere near as long. If money is dosnt matter then go the powers, but i'm a uni student who uses my VFR for transport everywhere, i found the powers squared off to fast and the extra cost more often put me bak on roads

• Forum CEO

I think the flat profile of the roads makes them very sensitive to geometry a little too much sag in the front verses the back will have affect the handling adversly. On a good note Pilot roads are being overhauled with a newer two compound version with a different profile and softer rubber on the edges! Availible soon

ImageServlet?imageCode=8910617962&codeSi pilot road 2

The ideal balance Independent tests confirm the Pilot Road 2 offers better wet grip and longer tread life than any of its competitors. How did Michelin incorporate these two contradictory traits in one tyre? MotoGP-derived 2CT technology makes it possible, using two distinct rubber compounds to achieve what was once thought impossible.

• Wet grip and durability testing was performed in 2006 by CERM (Centre d’Essais Routiers Mécaniques) on Michelin Pilot Road 2 and five leading competitors' equivalent tyres, using sizes 120/70 ZR 17 and 180/55 ZR.

• Member Contributer
I think the flat profile of the roads makes them very sensitive to geometry a little too much sag in the front verses the back will have affect the handling adversly. On a good note Pilot roads are being overhauled with a newer two compound version with a different profile and softer rubber on the edges! Availible soon

The ideal balance Independent tests confirm the Pilot Road 2 offers better wet grip and longer tread life than any of its competitors. How did Michelin incorporate these two contradictory traits in one tyre? MotoGP-derived 2CT technology makes it possible, using two distinct rubber compounds to achieve what was once thought impossible.

• Wet grip and durability testing was performed in 2006 by CERM (Centre d’Essais Routiers Mécaniques) on Michelin Pilot Road 2 and five leading competitors' equivalent tyres, using sizes 120/70 ZR 17 and 180/55 ZR.

Yay! Someone at Michelin was reading my mind. I feel the rear profile of the current Roads is way to flat, the Road 2 may turn out to be a great tire for longer mileage.

I may even try the new one's, as I hate the old ones! <_<

September they should be available in the US.

fsgetss5.th.jpg

Available sizes

Front:

110/70 ZR 17 (54W)

110/80 ZR 18 (58W)

120/60 ZR 17 (55W)

120/70 ZR 17 (58W)

120/70 ZR 18 (59W)

Rear:

150/70 ZR 17 (69W)

160/60 ZR 17 (69W)

160/60 ZR 18 (70W)

170/60 ZR 17 (72W)

180/55 ZR 17 (73W)

190/50 ZR 17 (73W)

Guest matt_c

I have spun my Pilot Roads many times, and I had a lowside last year at the Dragons Tail (while not the tires fault completely, they did contribute to the cause of the accident). You will be fine riding the Pilot Roads AS LONG AS you get your duff off the seat in the corners, they dont have the grip to hold you in the corner well if you exhibit bad form, so unless you are off the bike and leaning into the corner (good riding technique in other words) dont push them really hard.

edit: one last note, I only use them becuase I mainly use my bike to commute to work, which will eat tires and cost hundreds of extra dollars every other month. I will try the new ones, but more than likely I will be getting a second set of wheels to mount up some super sport tires for track days and playing in the mountains. If I didnt commute I WOULD NOT use them. Their flat profile make for VERY slow turn in, and requires you muscle the bars ALOT more than a sport tire.

I have spun my Pilot Roads many times, and I had a lowside last year,

(while not the tires fault completely, they did contribute to the cause of the accident,

dont push them really hard.

+1.gif

Archived