Rear Tire 'blowout' In 75mph Sweeper!

Guest TheScott

Guest TheScott

:unsure:

I had quite a ride this past Saturday. I took off solo to take advantage of the AMAZING weather. Went out Marsh Creek/Morgan Territory/Mines and up Del Puerto for a ways (for those of you familiar with the bay area) then back tracked and hit 84/Niles canyon in Livermore/Pleasanton area with the intention of working my way up to Palomares/Redwood/Pinehurst/Grizzly peak.

So, out in the middle of the hills on 84 heading west, I'm on a nice mellow right hand sweeper doing about 75 and I here a split second rush of air and the back end of my trusty VFR starts swapping around. Fortunately, I was already through the apex of the corner and coming out of my lean when it happened, also fortunate, I somehow had my wits about me enough to know to just relax on the controls and not try to correct/counter anything that was happening. Coasted to a stop, safe and sound. Upon inspection, the tire is unblemished, no sidewall damage, no punctures or anything. Looking closer, I notice the bead broke inward away from the wheel...? :blink: and upon even CLOSER inspection, saw there is a little nick in the bead of the tire right there. :blink:

First thoughts for me are, manufacture defect, or, when installed the bead was 'nicked'. The tire (AV46st) is only 300 miles new. This is on the left side of the tire, opposite the side I was leaning, so it's improbable anything jammed in there mid corner or something. I was running 40psi (just check before the ride) and didn't hit any pot holes or anything else that would dent the wheel (only way I ever thought the bead would break away), not to mention the wheel is true and undented. I'm taking it to my tire guy this afternoon so we can pop it off and inspect further.

Funny thing is, having such bad tire luck (never replaced a tire because it was worn out) my first thoughts weren't Oh CRAP! But rather, there goes ANOTHER friggin tire!

Anyone else ever hear of anything like this???

• Member Contributer

Scary! Sucks about the tire going so early, but I'm glad you kept the rubber side down.

Call avon. I know they have a 100 mile replacement policy and have replaced tires with obvious defects.

Heading to the small shop where I got the tire today. We're going to look at it and call Parts Unlimited (his supplier) and see what they say. Like I said, I think another possibility is it was damaged during installation-and my tire guy agrees that is a possibility and will hook me up if that is the case.

It has about 350 miles on it now. First 200 were mild wet road rides. Last 150 was good weather/scrubbed to the edges riding :thumbsup:

Did you check the tire pressure before you left. I could see that happening if pressure was real low, but you probably would not have heard the aire coming out. Does you seat still exist or can it be removed w/ surgery? :o

Did you check the tire pressure before you left. I could see that happening if pressure was real low, but you probably would not have heard the aire coming out. Does you seat still exist or can it be removed w/ surgery? :o

With my before mentioned bad tire luck, I check cold tire pressure religiously with a digital gauge before any/every ride, its almost ridiculous, this day was no different. Also, because I've picked up SO many nails/screws I always put the bike on the center stand before/after (and sometimes during :unsure: ) a ride and do a quick check for foreign objects. I had just done a quick hand check on both tires about 20 miles before this happened. Seriously, I've had such bad tire luck I've become obsessively paranoid about it and do some kind of quick check just about every time I get off the bike.

I don't get your seat comment...

• Member Contributer

I don't get your seat comment...

I think he's referring to rectal inhalation. :unsure:

I think he's referring to rectal inhalation. :blink:

I thought that might be it, but I'm sorta dense. Yeah, all is well. Like I said, I didn't even have a chance for fear to set in, no pucker factor to speak of.

First thought/feelings= :unsure:

• Member Contributer

SCARY scene.....glad it turned out so well. Hope the financial end goes in your favor also..................... :thumbsup:

You sure the tire was properly seated when installed? I would think it would show up when you spun the tire around pre-ride, but maybe it was close to seated, just not fully.

Very possible. If it wasn't seated properly, it was slight...but there is still the little 'nick' in the bead right where it happened.

Not good, but much worse when a front goes down almost instantly! :blink:

Can you say "no steering" ! :blink:

Glad you saved it! :thumbsup:

Amen to that! I don't think I'd be here typing this if it happened to the front :unsure:

Will this result in the Avon 'naysayers' raving on about how awful Avons are?

I'm actually looking forward in a way to my Azaros wearing out, so I can try a set of the new Avon Storms. They're supposed to be pretty good, especially in the wet.

FWIW (and I dunno if this is just my "tire guy"), every time I've bought Avons, I've been offered a 1-month/1000km trial period. If I don't like them, he'll replace them free of charge with any other brand of tire I want. He also provides free lifetime puncture repair, which I've had to use twice in the last 4 years, both times because of a nail in a near-new rear Azaro.

I must stop riding in the gutter....

Will this result in the Avon 'naysayers' raving on about how awful Avons are?

I'm actually looking forward in a way to my Azaros wearing out, so I can try a set of the new Avon Storms. They're supposed to be pretty good, especially in the wet.

FWIW (and I dunno if this is just my "tire guy"), every time I've bought Avons, I've been offered a 1-month/1000km trial period. If I don't like them, he'll replace them free of charge with any other brand of tire I want. He also provides free lifetime puncture repair, which I've had to use twice in the last 4 years, both times because of a nail in a near-new rear Azaro.

I must stop riding in the gutter....

I was actually looking to get the storm when I got this tire. I'm looking forward to trying those too. But at the time he only had the azaro in stock, and being an impatient/impulsive buyer....well, you know.

I spoke to the tire guy this morning. He's a cool dude that just opened a small shop near where I live. He's in the process of trying to build his reputation right now and from what he said this morning is willing to do what it takes to get me back to riding asap. Also, he was quick to point out that the nick in the bead may have happened during installation...seems like a stand up honest type of guy to volunteer that.

I'll post up with how it turns out. I'll be amazed if it all turns out in my favor...maybe my tire luck is changing though :unsure:

• Member Contributer

My money would be on manufacturing defect. I don't know how you could cut the bead of a tire during installation with any tools I have ever seen tires installed with, and if it was not seated in the bead correctly you would have been able to see it, or it would at least not have held the same air pressure for the time you have had it.

My money would be on manufacturing defect. I don't know how you could cut the bead of a tire during installation with any tools I have ever seen tires installed with, and if it was not seated in the bead correctly you would have been able to see it, or it would at least not have held the same air pressure for the time you have had it.

Good point. No changes in pressure over the time I had it. (See post above, I check like a madman) Can't wait to wrap things up at work so I can get this handled.

• Member Contributer

I've seen several nicked wheels and none lost the tire. My guess is the cable in the bead broke. That would be the only thing that I'm aware of that would allow the tire to "demount".

I've seen several nicked wheels and none lost the tire. My guess is the cable in the bead broke. That would be the only thing that I'm aware of that would allow the tire to "demount".

The wheel wasn't nicked, the bead was. And the tire didn't "demount", the bead pulled away in just one spot.

Went to the shop this afternoon and we popped the tire off the wheel. The cable, or whatever it is, actually pulled away from the rubber in about a 4" length. Right behind what I was saying looked like a "nick" in the bead. Pretty crazy. My tire guy is replacing for free as we both agreed it was definitely either a manf. defect, or, damaged on installation. I'm going to get pictures when I go back tomorrow so you guys can see it.

Anyway, all is turning out :thumbsup: now I need a :beer:

Archived