Just When I Needed Tires

skuuter

• Member Contributer

This is not "ANOTHER" tire thread. I just knew I was gonna' go like usual with Pilot Roads, then the multiple tire threads start up again and I changed my mind after reading, re-reading, and talking to some Michelin folks. Ordered my Pilot Powers today. The "slow one" on stickies. My only concern will be the center life on my commutes. The 1/2" totally unused chicken strips will be for sale at a later date.............See Ya', skuuter....................... :thumbsup: :beer:

Can't hurt to see how far a smooth and gentile used Power will run!

You will notice an Instant change in handling, much quicker turn in with half the effort. Might be too quick for some, but I don't think your in that Cat.! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
This is not "ANOTHER" tire thread. I just knew I was gonna' go like usual with Pilot Roads, then the multiple tire threads start up again and I changed my mind after reading, re-reading, and talking to some Michelin folks. Ordered my Pilot Powers today. The "slow one" on stickies. My only concern will be the center life on my commutes. The 1/2" totally unused chicken strips will be for sale at a later date.............See Ya', skuuter....................... :thumbsup: :goofy:

Are you on crack again?? Remember we talked about that..... :lol:

I'll bet 4K on the center of the tire life.

• Member Contributer
I'll bet 4K on the center of the tire life.

My bet is over 5k, maybe 6. :thumbsup:

Dude!!! what? You get half of that Kev. I think we need a poll, how long do your PPs last. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

We will all see to what new heights in mileage Pilot Powers can be taken to. In all seriousness though, if they will get me "reasonably close" mileage I have no problem. Better traction and feel is always a plus. Looking forward to a new-to-me tire......maybe not as aggressive as some, but they will get rode a lot of miles on a lot of different roads and conditions........will report "my" findings, likes, dislikes, wear and mileage.............................. :thumbsup: Let the riding begin(when they get here).............. :beer:

Putting a new set of Metzler M3's on my bike the week before I go up to Tmac, and taking an extra rear with me in case I burn that one up during the week, cause I still have about 1500 miles to go after Tmac over the next week. I haven't gotten to see the milage on the M3's yet but its supposively much much better than the M1's I was getting 2k-2500 a rear on, x2 on the front.

We will all see to what new heights in mileage Pilot Powers can be taken to. In all seriousness though, if they will get me "reasonably close" mileage I have no problem. Better traction and feel is always a plus. Looking forward to a new-to-me tire......maybe not as aggressive as some, but they will get rode a lot of miles on a lot of different roads and conditions........will report "my" findings, likes, dislikes, wear and mileage.............................. :thumbsup: Let the riding begin(when they get here).............. :goofy:

Well hurry up, will ya?! I'm gonna need some new skins this spring and I need this info RIGHT NOW!!

Ah, just kidding. Give us a report after you got some miles on 'em. Nice choice, by the way. I've been considering Diablo Stradas, Pilot Roads and Pilot Powers. Even the CT2s. The price difference really isn't that much when you consider how much more performance you're getting for the money. Most of my miles are straight, tho, so I'll probably go with the sport-touring skins (and probably the Stradas) instead of the sportier Powers.

Putting a new set of Metzler M3's on my bike the week before I go up to Tmac, and taking an extra rear with me in case I burn that one up during the week, cause I still have about 1500 miles to go after Tmac over the next week. I haven't gotten to see the milage on the M3's yet but its supposively much much better than the M1's I was getting 2k-2500 a rear on, x2 on the front.

I liked the Powers on mine, but then I don't really ride in conditions like you all that often... I'm actually trying some Stradas right now... too early to tell.

5-6K, maybe even a touch over 6K on the rear before they get too squared off and wierd. Roads did much better in my world, mileage wise, but they suck and are a pain to mount when doing these things yourself, Powers go on much, much easier...

• Member Contributer

"Roads" were always my stand-by....they got me through the twisties at "my pace" and cruised me down the highways on the way to the good stuff with good wear mileage and very little "squaring". My Repsol CBR1000RR came with Perelli Diablo Corsas.....great tire, good mileage, no cupping, squaring, etc.......Great feeling tire, to the point, the rear had no "chicken strips". Started riding the familiar-as-the-back-of-my-hand twisties up Monteagle Mountain on Sat/ Sun mornings faster and faster until the "What are you doing" set in......traded for the more docile VFR and the reason I ride with my wife most of the time....LEISURELY TOURING.....at this point in the game of life, I prefer no scratches on me or my bike. Am looking forward to a great feeling tire with hopefully "reasonable" mileage.....if they work well for me, they may prove to be an enjoyable/ affordable tire for "similar" riders in "my pace"..............we will see................... :thumbsup: :beer: :P

• Member Contributer
Sport tires handle so much better its worth the lack of tire life if you use your bike for anything other than commuting, IMO. (if you can afford it)

+1 on that. I went with the new Corsa 3's and was worried because I live in the cursed state where everything sucks and my roads are straight. But they have 1700 miles on them and look like they just broke in. I've leaned them further than any other tire and even manged to get a few boogers street riding. I may go back to Stradas or roads for TexasMac because I am riding up but aftert those its back to Corsa or PP.

As far as the PP's my friend has 3200 on his current set and that includes a day at Jennings and they are still going strong.

• Member Contributer
Sport tires handle so much better its worth the lack of tire life if you use your bike for anything other than commuting, IMO. (if you can afford it)

+1 on that. I went with the new Corsa 3's and was worried because I live in the cursed state where everything sucks and my roads are straight. But they have 1700 miles on them and look like they just broke in. I've leaned them further than any other tire and even manged to get a few boogers street riding. I may go back to Stradas or roads for TexasMac because I am riding up but aftert those its back to Corsa or PP.

As far as the PP's my friend has 3200 on his current set and that includes a day at Jennings and they are still going strong.

The 3200 plus a track day sounds real encouraging to me......................... :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

My dealer called.....my Pilot Powers are in, will get mounted in the morning(the good news).....I have to ride a Big Ruckus scooter up to the Smokies(Townsend) Saturday and come back Sunday(the bad news)....won't get to try them until next week....... :wheel:

• Member Contributer
I may go back to Stradas or roads for TexasMac because I am riding up but aftert those its back to Corsa or PP.

I would get a new set of sport tires mounted right before you go, and bump the tire pressure up to the maximum PSI listed on the tire for the ride up and back. If you do this you will have hardly any wear from the slab part and they won't square off. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
its a slippery slope to the fast side skuuter!! sounds like you are well on your way!

Heh, heh, heh..........I'm the same every day, no matter who I ride with, no matter where I ride to.................... :beer:

• Member Contributer
My dealer called.....my Pilot Powers are in, will get mounted in the morning(the good news).....I have to ride a Big Ruckus scooter up to the Smokies(Townsend) Saturday and come back Sunday(the bad news)....won't get to try them until next week....... :goofy:

Skuuter, I can help!!! Just leave your bike out with the key under the rear wheel and I'll try 'em out for you Saturday. Oh, please make sure the tank is full!!

Anything to help out a forum member... :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
My dealer called.....my Pilot Powers are in, will get mounted in the morning(the good news).....I have to ride a Big Ruckus scooter up to the Smokies(Townsend) Saturday and come back Sunday(the bad news)....won't get to try them until next week....... :wheel:

Skuuter, I can help!!! Just leave your bike out with the key under the rear wheel and I'll try 'em out for you Saturday. Oh, please make sure the tank is full!!

Bike is full of gas, key under wheel as per request.....VFR is sitting...uh...uh,well.....let me think...........it's at......uh,oh......HEY Dear did I take my medication this morning ??? No reason, just asking..............I'll get back to Ya' Bent...forgot something...gimme' 24 hrs., OK Buddy.......................... :P See Ya'.................... :beer:

• Member Contributer
My dealer called.....my Pilot Powers are in, will get mounted in the morning(the good news).....I have to ride a Big Ruckus scooter up to the Smokies(Townsend) Saturday and come back Sunday(the bad news)....won't get to try them until next week....... :goofy:

Bike is full of gas, key under wheel as per request.....VFR is sitting...uh...uh,well.....let me think...........it's at......uh,oh......HEY Dear did I take my medication this morning ??? No reason, just asking..............I'll get back to Ya' Bent...forgot something...gimme' 24 hrs., OK Buddy.......................... :P See Ya'.................... :beer:

Hey, I understand. You know I'd do the same for you. :beer:

Look forward for the new PP tire reports. Ya'll have a good trip this W / E. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Went to the Honda shop (4 miles straight up the highway) and picked up my bike with the new Pilot Powers on. Took the 31 mile "short-cut" back to scrub em' a little on some curves today. Will still have to knock a little new off obviously, but I think I'm gonna' like these a lot. Wish I didn't have to make the Smokies scooter delivery trip and I'd have em' skuuter-railed over the weekend. Can't wait to REALLY try em'.......will post back with opinions(for what they're worth) as soon as I can put in a long ride to get acquainted................................ :thumbsup:

Archived