Riding Boots

VFRMINNESOTA

• Member Contributer

Hi I want to buy my first set of riding boots and the two choices that I seem to like are Alpinestars and Sidi boots. I like to more mundane type of boots so I do not have to change my foot wear if I want to do some thing else when riding. What brand would you suggest and I am open of any other types of boots

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a pair of Alpinestars SMX-R's last year to replace my old A-Stars. They are pretty comfortable and have good protection. Mine are perfed and I didn't think they flowed any air until it started getting cool. They flow a lot of air it seems. I'm a fan of A-Stars boots. smile.gif

vented_fac_200w.jpg

I think alot of the choice is what type of boot fits your foot the best. They are typically built on different lasts (foot shapes) and each brand has their own kind of foot that they fit best. My experience only.

I like Sidi boots for me. I've got a pair of Strada Tepor boots for winter and touring and then a pair of Vertigo Air boots for summer and track. They fit me the best, provide all the features I want and have held up for a long time.

• Member Contributer

I have a lower-end pair of A-stars boots than those pimpalicious ones posted by Hurry-cane, but I agree with his feelings on A-stars boots - they da shiz... :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

My advice would be to hit the IMS show in Chicago in Feb (or a show local to you). There are numerous dealers and you could try on many different brands. You will be better able to zero in on what you are looking for. I did that and ended up going with a brand called Zac. I met the owners of Armored Rider and was VERY pleased with their knowledge and service. I had never heard of the brand before the show. I've had the boots a year now and LOVE them.

Armored Rider website and link to Zac boots

Point of the story... look around. The shows give you the ability to try on lots of different brands without driving across the country.

I have a lower-end pair of A-stars boots than those pimpalicious ones posted by Hurry-cane, but I agree with his feelings on A-stars boots - they da shiz... :thumbsup:

Dem Stars I be wearin' ain't all dat fly yo. :blink: They aren't very flashy at all actually. You should get some to wear around Perth cbar. They are great for killing spiders. :D

• Member Contributer
Hi I want to buy my first set of riding boots and the two choices that I seem to like are Alpinestars and Sidi boots. I like to more mundane type of boots so I do not have to change my foot wear if I want to do some thing else when riding. What brand would you suggest and I am open of any other types of boots

According to Newenough the Sidi's run a little narrow and the A*'s and Oxtar's a little wide.

I've been thinking of these for cooler weather and waterproof needs.

WEB_410x382.jpg

A* H20 @ cyclegear

or these...

fac.jpg

Oxtar Matrix @ Newenough

• Member Contributer
Are the A'stars typically any wider than the Sidis? I tried on a pair of Vertigos, but while the length was good, they were a bit narrow. Size 49, by the way. :blink:

Yes, crikey man that's about a size 14!

According to Newenough the Sidi's run a little narrow and the A*'s a little wide.

I've been thinking of these for cooler weather and waterproof needs.

WEB_410x382.jpg

A* H20 @ cyclegear

I had the previous model of that boot and they were great. They were more comfortable than any shoe that I have ever owned. I wore them everyday when I worked at the motorcycle dealership. They were Gore-Tex lined and completely waterproof. I had them on in this pic. We rode about 160 miles in this crap and the only thing that was dry when we got there were my feet. :blink:

1261174tsoaked014.jpg

Are the A'stars typically any wider than the Sidis? I tried on a pair of Vertigos, but while the length was good, they were a bit narrow. Size 49, by the way. :blink:

Yep. Now you know why I drive that big truck, to haul my feet around, lol. I wear a 14 Nike, a 13 Icon, or 12.5 Adidas. Looking at size 49 sidis, because A* only goes up to 48(that I know of), but I do want to try on a pair of Oxtar TCS boots before I plunk down the cash for the Sidis.

According to Newenough the Sidi's run a little narrow and the A*'s and Oxtar's a little wide.

or these...

fac.jpg

Oxtar Matrix @ Newenough

I have had a pair of the Oxtar Matrix from NewEnough for the last two years - good boot, the soles are wearing well, they are still waterproof, and very comfortable - great in the cold and hot.

• Member Contributer

Yep. Now you know why I drive that big truck, to haul my feet around, lol. I wear a 14 Nike, a 13 Icon, or 12.5 Adidas. Looking at size 49 sidis, because A* only goes up to 48(that I know of), but I do want to try on a pair of Oxtar TCS boots before I plunk down the cash for the Sidis.

Depends on the model. Some A* (SMX 4) come in a 50...

Check this A* sizing chart for available sizes

• Member Contributer
I had the previous model of that [A* H20 Web] boot and they were great. They were more comfortable than any shoe that I have ever owned. I wore them everyday when I worked at the motorcycle dealership. They were Gore-Tex lined and completely waterproof. I had them on in this pic. We rode about 160 miles in this crap and the only thing that was dry when we got there were my feet. :blink:

1261174tsoaked014.jpg

I have had a pair of the Oxtar Matrix from NewEnough for the last two years - good boot, the soles are wearing well, they are still waterproof, and very comfortable - great in the cold and hot.

Guess I'm going to have to find them both somewhere to try them on.

Also would like to try on these A* Effex as well...

Alpinestars%20Effex%20Gore%20Tex%20moto%20boots%20black_410x410.jpg

A* Effex @ cyclegear

• Member Contributer

I ride with Sidi Vertebra's year round pretty much and highly recommend them. They seem to fit average to slightly wide feet I would say.

I've got an average width foot and the Sidis fit just fine. If I remember correctly, they were a little snug at first when new, but they do stretch, even though they are synthetic and they have molded nicely to my foot. And, even after a couple years didn't "overstretch" and become sloppy.

Read carefully DO NOT buy the Sidi's if you have wide feet. I have a wide foot and could not fit into the Sidi's. I bought the Alpinestars SMX-R perforated boot and could not be happier...they offer great protection, comfy, and vent well....very nice boots.....very subdued in black too! I highly recommend them......and buy them from new enough and read their desription about sizing....the A-Stars typically run wider than most and I usually wear a 13 but only needed a 12 in theirs....good luck.

-jon

:thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
You should get some to wear around Perth cbar. They are great for killing spiders. :D

I sleep with mine on now, just in case one of those big beggars gets into the house.... :blink:

• Member Contributer

I have a three year old pair of the Oxtar Matrix Gore-Tex which have held up very well. I found them to be very comfortable and provide good protection. I keep them for riding in colder weather but bought a pair of Sidi B-2's for a little more protection. The B-2's are not quite as comfortable as the Oxtar, but since I don't walk in them it does not matter. The Sidi's are well designed and slide easily under the shifter with their low profile.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of things that should influence your decision...

1) If you wear pants... keep in mind that they have to fit over/under the boots. If you have thick pants (read winter insulated ) that fit over, having a wide/thick boot around the calf makes it very difficult to zip up the pants... and hence you risk messing up the zipper on the pants when you try and zip them over the boot. ( did this to 3 zippers on two pairs of pants)

2) Are you riding/track daying / sport touring? The plastic boots like the Alpine SVX are a great track day boot but you can't ride and walk around and visit shops etc. It’s a very protective boot for track day... not lollie gagging and walking.

3) Price. You can spend $100.00 or $400.00 dollars on a pair of boots. I have seen some magazines suggest some decent boots that have good ankle support and good traction and were comfortable. I like having the ankle and shin protect of the higher style of boots, you may not.

4) Weather - are you riding these daily... will they see rain or snow? Plastic boots like the Alpine are not very warm or will not keep you dry. Read the label if you need all weather boots... water proof!

5) Zipper vs Clamp. When you start wearing boots every day... those zippers wear out! I think my next boot will be a clamp style like snow boots use instead of a zipper. I hate fighting a zipper on a certain pair of pants that I wear in the winter.

I have a pair of alpine stars SVX that are comfortable for riding but not walking... to much plastic that won’t bend + they squeak when you walk... cant sneak into work! But as far as protection... in the past three years that I have owned them, I have fallen twice ( cold weather - low sides - wet pavement and/or cold tire + lack of experience) and the boots were heavily scratched but I did not feel a thing. My thought was if my foot was trapped under the bike sliding, is the boot I am wearing going to protect me?

Anyway just my two cents.

K

anyone familiar with Daytona Boots?

I have a pair of Daytona Roadstar GTX. These are the best boots that I have ever worn. After wearing them for three years, they look nearly new. They are comfortable, not too warm, have never leaked and provide good protection. They are way better than the Alpinestars that I had previously.

Archived