Can This Bike Be Taken To The Track

Guest nick_villan

Guest nick_villan

sorry, i cant seem to find out if i alrady posted this, but im going to purchase a new bike withing the next couple of weeks, and i was wondering if this generation was good for track days? ive been reading several good things about this bike and i just want to make sure that it isnt to heavy or anything like that for some track days. thank you very much for your time.

To a point, it's the bike not the rider. The fastest guys on Ninja 250s go faster than the average track day guy on a literbike at most tracks.

That being said, I see no reason why any generation VFR, while not optimal, couldn't be perfectly suitable for doing trackdays. Just look at Jeremy's pics above.

Find the bike you like, that suits your needs, and the deal that's right for your budget. You'll be able to take it to the track no problem, and you'll have a blast.

IMHO - if you want a good cheap track bike, go for cbr600 or a vtr1000. i don't think i'd use my daily driver as a track bike.

He's got a point here. Taking your prized VFR to a track is asking for disaster. You just need to ask yourself if you want to spend

the necessary money of fixing your daily driver back up. It could be most likely over a thousand dollars to replace a bunch of new plastic

you ruined at the track. And not having a bike to ride until it gets fixed back up. Just something to think about.

• Member Contributer
IMHO - if you want a good cheap track bike, go for cbr600 or a vtr1000. i don't think i'd use my daily driver as a track bike.

He's got a point here. Taking your prized VFR to a track is asking for disaster. You just need to ask yourself if you want to spend

the necessary money of fixing your daily driver back up. It could be most likely over a thousand dollars to replace a bunch of new plastic

you ruined at the track. And not having a bike to ride until it gets fixed back up. Just something to think about.

i'd suggest keeping your eyes peeled for a salvage titled bike..... you might spend less on a seperate bike than you would in repairs to your daily rider. plus when you're riding a bike that your not too particular about, you will be more apt to push.... as you shoud be doing on the track!! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

honestly, if you want to experience a track for the first time during a first timers session then the vfr is perfectly fine for it. for regular weekends sure, expensive bikes with lotsa factory plastics might not be ideal due to the costs of repair.

on my first track day, i went as fast as i thought humanly possible, and the vfr handled it with aplomb.

• Member Contributer

med_gallery_2_1_46946.jpg

gallery_2_1_73428.jpg

I would say... yes

But I wouldnt take my nice streetbike to the track very often. If you plan on doing alot of track days, you'd be better off adding an additional bike to the garage for that purpose.

These gentlemen make good points. I'm in the process of buying a salvage titled '02 GSX-R750 that is already set up for track days for $2500. That's going to be my track day bike. If (or when if you prefer) I crash it, it won't be a big deal since it was intended just for the track and the bike is very well supported when it comes to aftermarket track bodywork.

I won't take my VFR to the track because it's almost 17 years old and bodywork is tough to find second hand, very, very expensive from the dealer if you can get it, and the only aftermarket options are in Europe.

• Member Contributer
i'd suggest keeping your eyes peeled for a salvage titled bike..... you might spend less on a seperate bike than you would in repairs to your daily rider. plus when you're riding a bike that your not too particular about, you will be more apt to push.... as you shoud be doing on the track!! :thumbsup:

Better yet, find a bike that someone has already prepped for track duty. You can usually get a bike that already has fiberglass fairings and other useful parts like clip-on’s and rear sets for the same or less money than a totaled street bike and be thousands ahead in changes you would be making.

Better yet, find a bike that someone has already prepped for track duty. You can usually get a bike that already has fiberglass fairings and other useful parts like clip-on’s and rear sets for the same or less money than a totaled street bike and be thousands ahead in changes you would be making.

Excellent advice. If you want something cheap to run that'll teach you a lot without spitting you off too easily or chewing up the tires too quickly, I'd suggest a first gen SV650. This past year I completed my first full season of racing--these bikes take a beating and just keep on running...

For an all around bike including a track day here and there, I'd say a VFR is great.

For an all, or mostly track bike, a CBR or something lighter, would be righter. :D

your avatar mentions you have a gs500 - must you sell it to get your vfr (which, you should definately do)? certainly nothing wrong with a gs500 for the track...

after my first track day on the VFR, i knew two things. 1, i was hooked on track days, and 2, i'd need a new bike.

there's nothing wrong with it on the track, but the risk of rashing up my daily driver is beyond my financial means.

in fact, the pridmore track school guys all ride VFR's, and they're *fast*

also, where are you located? there's bound to be a local motorcycle forum were people post stuff...craigslist is reasonable for track bikes, but it can take awhile to sift through the trash. local boards are great for track bikes.

i just picked up a race-prepped 02 zx6-r with $1000 of random goodies (tons of clipons, brake pads, radiators, the works) for $2500. my first day at laguna seca was definately one to remember.

Didn't he ask would a VFR be ok for a track day now & then, not I'm going to turn into a track day junky :P

Some people can only have one bike for many reasons (the main one would be if you have a wife who isn't into bikes) so if that's the case & the main reason for owning a bike is for road use, then the VFR will do it all very well (note my avatar). The problem will be after your first track day you will prob get the bug & want many more, that's when you start to think about maybe buying something just for track.

• Member Contributer

oy!

for gods sake! get gold wing and drag the bastard in every corner!

when you get to the point where you need to push the ninja 250s out of the way.....

.. you know your ready to take on rossi.

oy!

for gods sake! get gold wing anddrag the bastard in eveycorner!

when you get to the point where you need to push the ninja 250s out of the way.....

I forget where I found this video (couldn't find link) so uploaded to YouTube for your enjoyment :P

thanks for all the great info you guys. Yes i currently have a gs500f, but i have to sell it in order to be able to afford the vfr (college student budget), but i do inted on doing track days, several of them since the weather in jacksonville and georgia seems to be nice all year round. i think i might take the vfr to the track schools to learn and eventually pick up a used ninja 250 and used that as a track bike. once again thanks for the great info.

• Member Contributer
oy!

I forget where I found this video (couldn't find link) so uploaded to YouTube for your enjoyment :P

WOW!

• Member Contributer
thanks for all the great info you guys. Yes i currently have a gs500f, but i have to sell it in order to be able to afford the vfr (college student budget), but i do inted on doing track days, several of them since the weather in jacksonville and georgia seems to be nice all year round. i think i might take the vfr to the track schools to learn and eventually pick up a used ninja 250 and used that as a track bike. once again thanks for the great info.

apparently both pridmore and spencer use the vfr when they are riding for their track schools... i have heard they know a thing or two about riding on the track... wink.gif

I am embarassed to say this but, I don't think I could keep up with those goldwings. Wow, that was fast... I like the scraping noises though the corners.

• Member Contributer
oy!

YellowWolf. He is a member here, but he just sold his wing a week or two ago.

oy!

YellowWolf. He is a member here, but he just sold his wing a week or two ago.

Freaking awesome 'Wing vid! I would love to see the reactions of riders on badass supersports being passed by those 'Wingers in the twisties!

Archived