Yellow Vfr Destickering?

Dan

• Member Contributer

One of the things that I have noticed about the VFR's is that they have the most one color coverage of any bike. I think that the lack of a secondary accent color is part of why they turn heads.

I'm thinking about removing the VFR stickers on the sides. I think it might add to the mystique of the bike. People already can't tell what kind of bike it is so why not add to that.

Ultimately, it's a person choice. Still, I'd like to see how the community feels.

Best,

Dan

• Member Contributer

I'm with you on that one Dan. That's what I love about the graphics on my 6th gen, no one can even tell what brand it is until they get up close and see the tank emblem...I vote remove the graphics. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Go for it!!!! Ive had people say what is it a cbr????? :blink: I like the clean look only sticker i left on was the tank wing due to the fact its clearcoated on top. All the others come off with a hairdryer and goo gone :beer:

gallery_4845_2223_22322.jpg

DSC_0005(2).jpg

gallery_4845_2223_429002.jpg

DSC_0007(2).jpg

Here are some views sans stickers. It came this way at purchase. At the time I did not realize they originally had stickers, but I now like it much better this way. The only graphics are the Honda wings on the tank.

• Member Contributer

There ya go. Takes all the guess work out of if it will look good or not :blink:

gallery_4845_2223_22322.jpg

DSC_0005(2).jpg

gallery_4845_2223_429002.jpg

DSC_0007(2).jpg

Here are some views sans stickers. It came this way at purchase. At the time I did not realize they originally had stickers, but I now like it much better this way. The only graphics are the Honda wings on the tank.

Go for your taste, but I like the 5th gen VFR stickers Soooo much I put them on my 6th gen! :thumbsup:

I like simple minimalist looks on all my bikes, but think these stickers are tasty! :P

DealsGap013.jpg

• Member Contributer

I dunno, BR. I think that the yellow looks nice without the stickers.

I think I'm gonna do it if and when I get the time.

Best,

Dan

Go for your taste, but I like the 5th gen VFR stickers Soooo much I put them on my 6th gen!

I like simple minimalist looks on all my bikes, but think these stickers are tasty!

Yeah, me too! :thumbsup:

I think they're the nicest of the VFR decals. :salesman:

But my left one is now slightly shredded. sad.gif

Still, it's not as bad as when my VFR750 (Granite Blue Metallic, i.e., 'blackish') was repaired and ended up with the red/blye VFR sticker from the red bike on one side of the fairing, and the gold/silver one it was supposed to have on the other side. And the repairer couldn't understand why I was pissed off, said it wasn't his fault, and refused to rectify it! Dick!!

Luckily, the assessor at the insurance company agreed with me about how crapulent it was, and they paid for the proper decal to be fitted.

Go for your taste, but I like the 5th gen VFR stickers Soooo much I put them on my 6th gen! :thumbsup:

I like simple minimalist looks on all my bikes, but think these stickers are tasty! :P

DealsGap013.jpg

Funny thing, I contacted BR to find out where he got his stickers about a month ago. :lol:

• Member Contributer

I got one other reason for pulling the sticker and that is that one side is a bit torn.

Still, I think that the yellow will look nice without the decals. smile.gif I wish the stickers were the type of part that I could remove and give away to someone. Oh well.

Best,

Dan

• 3 weeks later...
Go for it!!!! Ive had people say what is it a cbr????? :fing02: I like the clean look only sticker i left on was the tank wing due to the fact its clearcoated on top. All the others come off with a hairdryer and goo gone +1.gif

Goo Gone? You just pulling the sticker off by heating the sticker first then cleaning the residue with the Goo Gone?

Any ideas on a tank protector that would match the simplistic theme? I have one that wraps around the tank and is carbon fiber look. I don't really like it to much, but it protects the tank where my belt/zipper would scratch.

• Member Contributer

The PO of my bike removed EVERY sticker including the vin sticker and tank decals. My bike is Asphalt and as someone previously pointed out, the paint under the tank decals is glossy. :fing02:

I'd like to get around to putting new stickers on the tank. Mebbe one day.

Most people think my bike is a BMW. +1.gif

It's kinda like the hot rod crowd that takes all the emblems and stickers....shave the door handles to clean all the body lines up.

I'd like to see some pictures when you do it. And remember....you have to MAKE the time to do it...

put it at the top of your priority list, other things can wait. :fing02:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
The PO of my bike removed EVERY sticker including the vin sticker and tank decals. My bike is Asphalt and as someone previously pointed out, the paint under the tank decals is glossy. :huh:

Most people think my bike is a BMW. :blink:

previous post #4 indicates sticker on tank is under a clear coat and this post indicates something different, my eyes are getting old and worn out and I look at the tank and can't tell either way---which is it.

?

• Member Contributer
The PO of my bike removed EVERY sticker including the vin sticker and tank decals. My bike is Asphalt and as someone previously pointed out, the paint under the tank decals is glossy. :huh:

previous post #4 indicates sticker on tank is under a clear coat and this post indicates something different, my eyes are getting old and worn out and I look at the tank and can't tell either way---which is it.

?

All I can tell you is that my tank has had the decal removed. The tank is matte black except where the decal used to be it is a glossier black.

• Member Contributer

?

All I can tell you is that my tank has had the decal removed. The tank is matte black except where the decal used to be it is a glossier black.

From another forum:

On the 2004 Asphalt Interceptor, do not attempt to remove the Honda Wing decals on the tank.

I removed the "Honda" from the top of the tail. No problem. Not even a little residue left behind.

I removed the "Interceptor" from each side of the rear cowl. No problem. Again, clean as a whistle.

Then the only decals left on the bike were the Honda Wings on the tank. I waffled back and forth on removing them too, or leaving them alone.

I decided to make it a clean sweep.

They were a bit more difficult to remove, (with good reason, I found.), but I was able to lift up the edge with a razor blade and peeled them off with no problem. (other than the decal residue that was left behind; or so I thought.) So, I started trying to get that off with Honda Cleaner and elbow grease, but it wouldn't budge. Not even a ripple.

Turns out that the tank is a gloss version of the asphalt color under the labels.

So now I have two perfectly shaped glossy Honda Wings on my tank. (Until my replacement order of decals arrives this week from Ron Ayers.)

• Member Contributer

"Crapulent". I sure do learn a lot of neat things on this site.

Whatever YOU decide about stickers is the right thing to do. My 2006 Black gets a lot of attention because people don't know what it is and I get asked that a lot.....when it isn't moving, which is seldom except when stabled.

BTW, look at the weather map in the middle of the country today....it really sucks bad.....

Like what's you already mentioned, there's something about one solid color scheme throughout the bike that creates a visually stunning effect. I removed all the decals from my bike when I first brought it home (except for the one on the tank, seems like it's clear coated over). I think it looks better that way.

Plus, it's fun when people come up and mistake your bike for a Ducati...oooh, that bike looks cool, it must be a Ducati b/c it's all one color like that. :thumbsup: It keeps people guessing.

One of the things that I have noticed about the VFR's is that they have the most one color coverage of any bike. I think that the lack of a secondary accent color is part of why they turn heads.

Well, I beg to differ. The all-red look on my bike was something that made the bike look a little slab-sided, IMO, so that is why I decided to go with black accents to kinda break up all that red. Black rads, front fender, etc, etc.

See how the seat, tank bra, rads and front fender combine to basically cut the bike in half?

100_3405.jpg

But like you said Dan, it's a personal choice and that's what makes Farkling so much fun. Make the bike your own!

DealsGap013.jpg

Looks good BR! :thumbsup:

Guest 767fixer

i vote off. a vfr decal in a local is nice like bailey has....but honda seems to get sticker happy. the first week i had the 04 i yanked every decal off that wasnt clear coated over and Imho i thought it lookes sooooo much "gooder"

Archived