Pilot Road Incident

Guest matt_c

This is just the reason why Im thinking of taking my (new to me) Bandit 400 up there in Sept instead of the VFR. I havnt worn the new off yet and it is my now daily. Got rid of my truck. I bought the Bandit just for thrashing the corners in the Gap. (hey the best 250bucks Ive spent) My buddy has a cabin over the resort up there so I plan on going often as I can. smile.gif

$250 for a Bandit 400?????? Wow, that's cheap. Love those bikes.

That would be about the perfect ride through the gap... I used to have a CB-1... almost the same thing, absolutely perfect in the tight stuff.

Michael

• Member Contributer

matt_c,

I'm glad you're OK, and that you were able to learn from this incident.

Been following this thread...when the 60mph came up, I told the wife "if a lot of the VFRD group can run the Gap at 60mph corner speeds, we need lawn chairs in Sept. instead of riding..... +1.gif
+1.gif

Coming from Indy, my buddy and I will will have done about 400 mi of slab riding before "having to" ride the Gap to get to the Micrtotel. There's a major chance for rider error with that kind of fatigue, plus it will be my first time through ever. At that time, I might be doing about 10 mph. :P

So, to those who are riding a good distance to get there in Sept. (or any time)--be careful!

• Member Contributer
The speed limit on the Gap is 25 mph, you people who speed make me sick! <_<

:P

:goofy:

I couldn't have been speeding officer with this much "STUFF" dragging on the road.....

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
Does everyone forget the Pirelli Diablo in the middle?

They may not beat Michelin or Metzeler in cornering and rain conditions, they do last longer.

A bike mag tested the lot and also tested the mileage (or should that be kilometrage?)

Diablo front 13,800km Michelin PP 7,400 Metzeler Sported M3 8,700

Diablo rear 7,400 PP 5,600 M3 6,600

Your mileage may vary, but the moment I get doubts I put on fresh rubber,

always smile.gif

• 3 months later...

i really have to disagree about the pilot roads, i think they are great. i was faced with a major emergency stop just yesterday and i really didnt think i was going to make it. pulled on the breakes harder and harder still didnt think i was going to make it, then the back end came WAY off the ground but keped slowing and stil in control. stoped with room st spare. now i am definatly not a master rider and this was my first stoppie ever, and it actually scared the shit out of me but i am totally impressed with the pilot roads, they hauled me down from about 70kmh, (40mph i think)

i have to say that for almost all of the riders the tires arnt the limit on out bikes, its us, the riders. i always recon that if hayden or rossie could of done it without crashing, it wasnt the bike, it was the rider.

the problem wasnt that the tyers gave out on you, its that you pushed pas your skills, ran out of tallent or what ever.

Pls dont take this as a stab against your riding tallent, i can almost guarentee that your a faster rider than i am, i just hate prople blaming there bike for their mistake

• Member Contributer

Check your sag... either you're so fast you didn't even need to post this to get advice (do you race?) or your suspension is undersprung making it easy to drag stuff.... the VFR really doesn't drag that easily.. more easily then a race rep but it still has an awful lot of ground clearance for a street bike.

Im not a racer, never claim to be and I dont even claim to be fast.

But heres the deal, I only weigh 170lbs, which is about the ideal weight for any stock suspension and should be perfect on the VFR, the preload is set corrrectly and my sag is right. The pegs are low if you ask me, and they scrape too soon and the stock suspension on these bikes is sub par for riding hard in the tight stuff. But is fine for touring with MILD sport riding.

I'm late to the thread, but probably with Ben on this one. I've had the VFR at the track -- no reason to drag pegs if the suspension is set correctly and you have good body position in the turns. If you're crossed up, pushing the bike under you, that might contribute to peg scraping.

I've personally come to terms with having to tone down my riding with sport touring tires. The Z4s on my bike have been slippin' and slidin' since day one, and haven't gotten any better, although I have to say that their (crappy for sport) performance has been consistent throughout their (so far) 3300 mile life. If I was a primarily straight-line rider, I would buy another set. BUT, I have a new set of AV45/46 Avons ready to go in a couple days, I hope they are what they're hyped up to be. Sorry about your lowside, I've been there more than once, and can say that as long as you don't get hurt too bad, it's always a good learning experience! :thumbsup:

Howdy, I'm presently running a st46 B avon on the rear, I rate it real similar to Z4 as far as performance. Might try running around 38psi , at 41 psi 40 dgrees 12 miles into a ride ( over 100 miles on the tire) and I had my ST AVON break loose under straightline condions with mild throttle blip downshift and accel under drizzle conditions. I've have had the Z4 rear break loose in straightline wet conditions but normally its when I' pushin the throttle. So that really surprised me expecting the AVON to be a better rain tire.

I dont know how much milege the AVON will yield, if its really good I may buy another but its not the Gift of gold performance wise.

I ran several z 4 rears , but they were only good for a little over 5,000 mile, The wife doesnt like that>G<

• Member Contributer
This is my second set of Pilot Roads (front and rear) that I have had on my VFR. I have loved them till now, because I have not pushed them to their limits (which is actually pretty far).

But, Yesterday while riding the Dragons Tail, I low sided in a corner at about 60 mph or so. The Pilot Road gave up on me mid way through the corner, it just couldnt hold on any longer. I dumped the bike and went for a little slide across the pavement and then through some grass before tumbling down a hill about 10 feet. Nothing too bad all in all, it ripped off the left foot peg, bent down the left handlebar, busted the turn signal and rear upper front fairing mounting points, and scratched up the tail pretty good. I only got a little rash on my left knee from wearing only bluejeans (spare me the lecture, its all I have right now) and my neck is a little soar from tumbling (I could not imagine not having a helmet on for this, it would have been bad).

So anyway, my point to all this is, I do not recommend Pilot Roads front and rear for the VFR if you plan on pushing the VFR to its limits in the twisities. I am going to try replacing the front with a Pilot Power instead of a Road, and then just replace it everytime I replace a rear tire. This was the hardest I had ever ridden the VFR and the front tire just wasn't up for it, but I dont think I will push it this hard ever again regardless, because the VFR just isnt a CBR no matter what, and shouldnt be ridden like it is.

Funny note, its kinda uncomfortble riding a VFR with a bent handlebar and missing a foot peg, for 200 miles on your way home from the Gap, IN THE RAIN!! But it was still fun! :thumbsup: :goofy:

Glad to hear you're OK, Matt. I think you said the words....."if you plan on pushing the VFR to it's limits in the twisties".

FOR ME, the Pilot Road is "THE TIRE" for at least two reasons. I don't want to push any motorcycle to it's limits because, sooner or later, I'm going to get at least, hurt. Secondly, I'm not as good as someone like Baileyrock in cornering so I don't really need a glue like tire. Lastly, I can push a set of PR's to the point the the rear slides but have never felt like the front was about to let go. For the "amateur" like me, the PR is a great tire that lasts as long as can be expected...which isn't long for me.

Lastly, like Diana Kraul so beautifully sings (my Goddess), "Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again".

Being OK after crashing off the Dragon is a great thing!! :thumbsup:

Archived