Ipod Users Check Here

Guest robertd

Guest robertd

I am the Design Director for one of the largest iPod accessory companies. I've recently picked up an '03 VFR for daily commuting and have been playing with integrating my iPod into my riding. So far I have modified one of our RF remotes so that it attaches to my tank with magnets. Otherwise, I just stuff my iPod into my inside jacket pocket, pop in my Sure EC3s and ride. :music:

We have numerous solutions for playing your music on your iPod through your car stereo. Our FM transmitters hold a 40% market share. However, I had never considered that an FM transmitter did absolutely no good for someone riding a bike like the VFR. :blink:

I'd love to hear how you guys use your iPods (or other MP3 players) on your bikes. Any suggestions you have for new products and/or improvements to existing products that will make cycling with music safer and more enjoyable are what I'm looking for. Any great ideas that make it into production will be rewarded with first-production samples and other great SWAG.

Thanks!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I have a pretty good set up, I have the IPod in my tankbag map pouch, then run my E2C cord under my jacket and into my bucket. This gives me the option the adjust volume, pause, skip etc... w/o using a remote. Works out nicely for me, but one thing that I would love, is something that would allow the Ipod to work as an FM tuner too. Would be nice to listen to the radio and Ipod without swithcing units.

• Member Contributer

I've been trying lots of options for Pod use and my current set up is using the Pod in my inner jacket pocket (no cords dangling from me to another location) with Shure E4c's(better frequency response, both low and high, and better sound field separation) than the E3c's(I've used E2c's,E3c's, etc.) and use a Griffin wireless remote that's mounted on the bike for volume and track change as well as play/pause.

This seems to work very well as it's all contained on me(no wires going anywhere) and I can make all the changes(vol/track/pause etc.) with the remote.

I'll have to give some thought to any "new" things that would be beneficial......off hand I can't think of anything that would make it much better?????

• Member Contributer

When riding with the IPOD I stuff it inside my riding jacket pocket and then run the Sony earbuds to my helmet. Works pretty good, with the summer jacket I am able to manipulate the IPOD with the wheel. I had tried it in my tank back, but I would forget where it was when getting off the bike and rip the cord out of it or pull out my earbuds.

A thought might me a wireless transmitter from the IPOD to a wireless reciever on a set of earbuds that is neatly tucked away in the helmet, no cord less problem. :blink:

• Member Contributer
A thought might me a wireless transmitter from the IPOD to a wireless reciever on a set of earbuds that is neatly tucked away in the helmet, no cord less problem. :beer:

Check out the Griffin Air Click that I mentioned above. Wireless receiver/remote.........reciever plugs into the Pod dock/etc.(depending on which type of Pod you have) and the wireless remote transmits to it up to 60' away. Five button remote: vol up/down, track forward/back, and play/pause.

Works great...no wires and no worries about making adjustments. They run around 30-40 bucks. B) :blink:

• Member Contributer
Check out the Griffin Air Click that I mentioned above. Wireless reciever/remote.........reciever plugs into the Pod dock/etc.(depending on which type of Pod you have) and the wireless remote transmits to it up to 60' away. Five button remote: vol up/down, track forward/back, and play/pause.

Works great...no wires and no worries about making adjustments. They run around 30-40 bucks. B) :blink:

:beer:

I picked mine up at Radio Shack for my ipod (w/ video) Mounted the remote up on the yoke, carry the ipod inside myjacket. No wires to unplug when I get off my bike, and the remote works like a charm.

robertd,

I carry my iPod in an inside jacket pocket, listen via Etymotic ER6i earbuds and control volume/pause/skip etc with a RemoteRemote RF device. The RR transmitter is a keybob attached by d-ring to my tanktag, handy and unobtrusive.

Regards,

VFR_ATL

Hey Robertd...Griffin eh? Say hi to Todd W for me. :thumbsup:

Small world, huh Al? :blink: I knew you had a bike...didn't know it was a VFR. We should get together and ride sometime wink.gif

I made a point of not saying who I was with so that this didn't become some form of shameless self promotion. Now that the cat's out of the bag...

Keep the ideas and comments coming everybody. I love this site!

So here's my modified AirClick remote set-up. I shaved the clip off the back and glued in 4 rare earth magnets to the inside of the back shell. Finished the whole job off with rubberized paint on the back and matching red on the front. You can pick up and AirClick for the 5th gen iPod (video) at an Apple Store or online. Check our site if you have an older iPod.

It's splash proof, but I wouldn't recommend riding with it in heavy rain. I'm working on some other ideas I'll share once I have something to show. If anyone's interested in this mod I'll put together a step-by-step how-to upon request.

airclick1.jpg

airclick2.jpg

+1.gif on the wireless headphones... I also would like to see a remote for the shuffle. I use it as it's really cheap and small. If I were to take a spill or get it wet, It wouldn't be a big loss (although I have a waterproof case for it.) I put it in my jacket pocket, but have to take my hand off the handlebar to make adjustments... so a handlebar mounted remote would be the bomb. I would consider going to the Nano if you made a remote that came with a mount.

What I really wish someone would make is a bluetooth headset for a helmet... in stereo. I have the scala-rider, but wish it was in stereo. That way I could strap a bluetooth transmitter on an Ipod and use the same headset for taking calls and listening to music. No wires and you could remove the main housing to recharge it. Throw in a remote in that package and my guess is that you would sell them all day long smile.gif

If anyone's interested in this mod I'll put together a step-by-step how-to upon request. [

robertd,

Don't want to get into an iPod RF moto-control device vs RF control device evaluation since I've never used your company's product, but here's the Extremely Technical set-by-step how-to mount a RemoteRemote transmitter on a motorcycle:

1) Zip-tie transmitter keyfob to cheapo D-ring fake "carabiner", or directly to mounting position.

2) Clip cheapo D-ring fake "carabiner" to tankbag zipperpull or whatever else is convenient.

Worked just fine on a >4K tour, cost ~98 cents, took 2 minutes to fab, won't fall-off, get forgotten/stolen and/or scratch my tank's paint job. When it rains it's under the tankbag raincover with my camera and cellphone and Glock.

Regards,

VFR_ATL

( Not associated w/ whoever makes the RR controller etc)

When it rains it's under the tankbag raincover with my camera and cellphone and Glock.

You're from Texas, aren't you :salesman:

Actually, I've been thinking that a tankbag based iPod solution could work out very nicely. I don't know that we can compete with the 98? part though....

For short rides, I stuff my Nano in my jacket connected to some custom earmold speakers. Works fine but pain to adjust volume, mute, etc. I haven't looked into a remote for the Nano, but that would be nice.

For longer rides, I have an Air Click that I put on the Ipod. I put the Ipod in the tank back and connect that to a mixer that also has inputs from my radar detector and GPS. The airclick remote I have velcroed on to the clutch resevoir cap, which makes it very handy to mute, adjust volume etc. That's about the best place for the remote for me. The buttons are a touch on the small side when using gloves, but I still manage to get the job done. Then I plug my earmolds into the mixer, run the cord into and up my jacket and I'm rocking out.

I put the Ipod in the tank back and connect that to a mixer that also has inputs from my radar detector and GPS.

I'd love to see that "mixer". Got a link or photo??

I also would like to see a remote for the shuffle.

I agree that the Shuffle's "disposability" and simplicity (you won't be distracted trying to read the display while changing the EQ setting!) make it an excellent choice for cyclists. Unfortunately, it does not support remote input. I know a guy who Velcros one to the side of his helmet. He figures that if it gets damaged in a crash that'll be the least of his concerns :thumbsup:

So just yesterday I was going to borrow the wife's iPod for a long ride I was taking. I was only going to listen to it while on the 85 miles of slab that I had to take to get there, then I was going to turn it off when I was on the side roads. She didn't want me to do it because she was worried that I wouldn't hear an ambulance coming up behind me, or a car horn, or other "danger" noises. She had a point and frankly, when I don't listen to her, she's usually right. Now, here's my question, can you hear "danger" noises when you have your iPod on? Is she right?

I keep mine low enough to hear any danger noises... or the phone ringing through the Scala-rider. Works for me, but I would guess that the MSF folks would frown on it B)

Guest matt_c

I use an iPod with Etymotic Er6i ear plugs, and a wired remote, the ipod goes in my inside pocket the earphones up to my helmet/ears from under my jacket and the remote is clipped to my left pocket, I then reach down and control the iPod from there, but Im looking for something a little better.

I agree with wirelesswill. I'll also add that even with isolating earplugs and the music at moderate volume (no more than 60% on an iPod), one can hear "danger" noises better than most people talking on their cell phones in their SUVs :pissed:

I had a lady in a big Merc merge over on me the other day on the interstate. I was honking and waving but she never saw or heard me. Fortunately I had left myself an out. The look on her face when she finally did see me was priceless. Wish I had a camera wired to my brain!

...but I would guess that the MSF folks would frown on it B)

Most certainly. My counterpoint is that the music helps to drown out those evil voices in my head that say things like "I wonder what 150MPH feels like?" So, it could be considered a safety item :goofy:

Agreed. I usually throw some smooth jazz or something that keeps me from wanting to crank the throttle all the way :P I tried upbeat rock for a week, but had to switch back to Led Zeppelin and the like... The Doors "L. A. Woman" got me up to 118 on a back road in Atlanta... not good :o

I have a Held tankbag that has a pocket in the back top section so that it is within sight under the clear map window. I put my iPod in there and run the headphone cord out the rear where both zippers meet. I have Koss Porta-Pro headphone speakers in my Arai helmet. I recently got the Griffin AirClick remote that I have mounted on the clutch resevior. I've been trying to think of a way to improve it, but it is so easy to use now, I can't come up with any ideas.

And to answer the question as to wether or not you can hear ambulances,etc. Yeah, I don't crank the volume very loud. It's just to keep the music in my head instead of humming to myself. :pissed:

Robert d,

The mixer i use was built by Sean Daly, just a simple mixer with 2 stereo inputs and one mono input, with one stereo output. No amplification or auto-muting. Cost was low, around $25.00. I don't have a pic of mine, I could get ya one in a day or two. Or, you can check some out at Aerostich. They sell several that are kind of expensive. Aerostich

Regarding the question of hearing emergency vehicles or sounds around us when music playing, I tell ya, with the custom molded plugs, it cuts so much ambient noise out that I don't have to turn the music up much at all to hear it suitably loud. And at a stop, I can carry on a normal conversation. They are amazing and well worth the $$

• Member Contributer
Regarding the question of hearing emergency vehicles or sounds around us when music playing, I tell ya, with the custom molded plugs, it cuts so much ambient noise out that I don't have to turn the music up much at all to hear it suitably loud. And at a stop, I can carry on a normal conversation. They are amazing and well worth the $$

Agreed!!

I use the Airclick remote just like you do strapped to my clutch res. Love it.

I would love to see a waterproof version so I don't have to pull it ever time it rains.

Ipod goes in tank bag with IJet remote receiver on top. I use Etymotic ER6i's, which are the best earbud/earplug speakers I have ever found/heard. Then I tie the IJet remote off to the tank bag handle.

Works like a champ. I don't need to look at the remote to opperate it. The buttons are easy to locate but a bit small. Bigger buttons would be easier to use with gloves on.

I am working on getting power to the Ipod from my power jack.

Archived