Ipod Users Check Here

Guest robertd

I'd love to hear how you guys use your iPods (or other MP3 players) on your bikes. Any suggestions you have for new products and/or improvements to existing products that will make cycling with music safer and more enjoyable are what I'm looking for. Any great ideas that make it into production will be rewarded with first-production samples and other great SWAG.

Thanks!

Here's a blue-sky Wish List, not in any order.

1. Glove friendly controls. Bigger buttons on more real estate so I don't pause the thing when upping the volumer.

2. Integrated audio booster. Something like the Boostaroo in line amplifier, but better integrated.

3. Remote dislpay. The Valentine V1 radar detector uses a remote display/control box. Having flexibility to mount the Pod for weather/theft protection and have an easily removed remote controller/display would be real nice.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like that magnetic remote thingy, integrate a universal garage door opener and kill 2 birds with one remote maybe? at the moment I don't listen to my IPOD on the bike, but I do at all other times. My biggest problem is that I can't find ear buds that are comfortable, and i am too cheap to get cusom ones.

Any great ideas that make it into production will be rewarded with first-production samples and other great SWAG.

Thanks!

How about being rewarded with a sweet job? maybe head motorcycle audio accessory tester?

• Member Contributer

I have a clear faced phone pouch on the top of my tank bag. The ipod goes in there with headphones running up my jacket. I can see whats playing (at night) and skip forward or back and pause the music through the plastic. It is also protected from rain when I pull the rain cover over the whole bag.

I don't like being connected to the bike though so my wish list is really just wireless and I guess remote volume would be nice since I cant swish my finger through the plastic with my gloves on.

I prefer the smaller units(like the nano,) but was wondering if you can use the Griffin remotes with them (so I can out the thing in my jacket and not have this happen again.) Oh well, I was looking for a reason to upgrade :P

Sorry to hear about your lost Shuffle. Our dock connector AirClick (RF iPod remote) works with the nano, but blocks to headphone jack +1.gif My suggestion is to pick up a refurbished 4GB iPod mini from Apple for the same $$ as a 1GB nano link and a AirClick for the iPod mini link. The top-mounted AirClicks feature a headphone pass-through. The dock connector version is designed for the video iPod (which has its headphone jack at the top like it should).

How about being rewarded with a sweet job? maybe head motorcycle audio accessory tester?

Sounds like you're angling for MY job!! :P

I've always wanted something like this but couldn't find it anywhere.

I'd like a KeyFob type of device that I can change tracks on my MP3 player (ipod in this case) I can attach the keyfob to the zipper on the front of my jacket and I'd like to plug standard mini-jack headphones into the keyfob.

This let's me use any headphones I like. To select a different track I just reach up just under my chin and click a button. The IPod could be stored in a jacket pocket or tankbag, wouldn't really matter since there's no wires betwen the IPod and my Keyfob.

• Member Contributer

I have a bunch of your ipod accessories for the car.

I never use any on the bike, I don't use the ipod on the bike.

Can you guys work on a device that causes the police to not write me a ticket for using my ipod on the motorcycle? That'd be a nice piece. :thumbsup: That's the main thing that makes it tough to listen on the bike.

Thanks Robert... but I couldn't wait (on a plane to Delaware tomorrow.) I bought a Nano this afternoon and it's all charged up and ready to go. I bought your Griffen iFM as it has a wired remote... which will work for now and let me listen to the radio as well.

I did find a remote for the Nano... couldn't believe that Griffin doesn't make one as you guys have really cool stuff. Anyway, here it is...

ijetnano_lrg.jpg

And you can pick one up for about $60 here

I'll be waiting for the Griffin model to come out wink.gif

The only problems I have is with my sony earbuds tend to move around or get pulled on when I move my head.. I would like to see a set of earphones that are wireless.. Maybe something that mounts on the outside of the helmet and have a pair of speakers (left and right ) inside your Lid.. That way if it was wireless it would read to the outside of the helmet and transmit to the speakers inside.. Or even if they were wired.. You could have the wires on the outside of the Lid.. and transmitt to the speakers on the inside..

I hope I explained it good enought to get a mental picture..

• Member Contributer

I've been using the Griffin iFM wired remote with my Nano. I run it through a mixer so I can have tunes and radar detection. I am using a set of chatterbox helmet speakers and everything has worked very well for me. I am concerned about the size of the cord though. I keep expecting it to fail but so far so good.

Anything for a motorcycle needs to have heavy duty cables(preferrably wireless), big buttons and would be good if it was waterproof like others have mentioned.

I must admit that the iJet remote and case that wirelesswill posted looks pretty good.

I did find a remote for the Nano... couldn't believe that Griffin doesn't make one as you guys have really cool stuff. Anyway, here it is...

Enjoy your nano, but ABT...ugh! Those guys totally ripped off my design!

prod_itripnano_main.jpg

Their remote is pretty tiny, too. Let us know how it works on the bike.

Lots of good ideas coming from this thread. Keep it coming!

The only problems I have is with my sony earbuds tend to move around or get pulled on when I move my head.. I would like to see a set of earphones that are wireless.

I had the same problem with my Sonys. Everybody wants a wireless solution. Problem is that wireless technology that sounds decent will retail in the $200 range and provide around 8 hours of run time w/ a manageable sized battery. We're working on some ideas that I should be able to share before too long.

I'd like a KeyFob type of device that I can change tracks on my MP3 player (ipod in this case) I can attach the keyfob to the zipper on the front of my jacket and I'd like to plug standard mini-jack headphones into the keyfob.

Here's the closest we get today to what you're asking for:

prod_ifmdock_sub01b.jpgGriffin iFM

Here's the product Apple introduced at MacWorld in January that basically killed the iFM wink.gif

accessoriesradioremote20060110.gifApple FM Remote

One of the guys in my office has combined one of Sony's stereo Bluetooth cellphone headsets...

GPD_29400high_27_0_4001.jpgSony

with our BlueTrip transmitter...

prod_bluetrip_sub01b.jpgBlueTrip

...and says it works pretty well. Even connects to his cell phone so he can switch back and forth between the iPod and the phone. Not sure how well this set up would work on the bike. Also easier to justify the purchase when you can put it on the corporate card as "R&D" :beer: We are looking into similar ideas.

These guys are one of our main competitors. Looks like their angle is extreme sports (snow boarding, skate boarding, base jumping, etc). When I first saw it it thought "why is the remote as big as the iPod?" Anyway, I figure maybe we could do something similar that solves the rest of the World's problems. I hate to even post this, but I'd like to hear your collective thoughts...

1.jpg

iLounge preview

Can you guys work on a device that causes the police to not write me a ticket for using my ipod on the motorcycle?

Boston, huh? What happened to the whole "give me liberty, or give me death" thing? Maybe try black earbuds :goofy:

robertd,

I ride on occasion with my iPod and have a buddy that rides a modded Ducati Monster(pipes). His big problem, one that I'm sure alot of guys have with loud pipes is that no matter what kind of ear plugs he uses he has to amp the volume up so loud it just hurts his ears. I have used "bone mics" in the military,old comm guy, and have heard that an electronis company has developed a system that uses the same technology. Now that would be big for bike guys as the volume is actually 'in your head' as opposed to be pushed into it.......just a thought!

OK, I have a solution for any Nano users that don't want to buy the product I linked to earlier... Check this out

537255ae-3f39-4f00-aa11-8c224adbc664.gif

This will let you use the Griffin remote for the regular or mini Ipods.

Regular Remote

or

Mini Remote

On my way to the store shortly to pick one up... I'll let you know if it works or not.

Guest Ikazuchi

I stick my iPod in my tank bag..with the Griffen iFM remote running outside. I took the clip off the back of the remote and stuck on some velcro. The remote mounts on the top of the clutch master cylinder nicely. When I get to work I just tear off the remote, pickup my tankbag and go. I used to have the remote on the clip, and stuck it on the carry handle at the close end of my bag. This worked fine too...but I had to take my hand all the way from the bar...and the clip would bounce loose and the remote scratched my tank a few times.

While I bought the iFM mainly for the remote, I liked the thought of being able to listen to the radio as well. Problem is, you have to run the headphones through the iFM remote, which doesn't go loud enough and gets distorted at the louder settings. Also, now that I have the remote mounted on the bars, the reach for my headphone cable would be too far (don't want to get tangled up).

When I have a bit of money I can risk throwing away, I was planning on taking one of those bluetooth wireless headphones for the iPod (almost $200!) and tearing it down to fit in my helmet. Not quite sure what to do with the remote that is integrated on the headphones (outside/bottom of the helmet?). Trick is not to make any changes to the foam or shell of the helmet. One of the guys on the SV board has a FM receiver on the back of his helmet to keep it wireless.

A dream setup would be wireless headphones and a seperate wireless remote. If I can get a FM tuner in there too, that would just be icing on the cake :D

Can you guys work on a device that causes the police to not write me a ticket for using my ipod on the motorcycle? That'd be a nice piece. :thumbsup: That's the main thing that makes it tough to listen on the bike.

In CA the law was (I think it changed for earplugs) that you couldn't have something obstructing your ear canal. I got around that by tearing apart a set of headphones and placing the speakers behind the fabric in the ear pockets of my helmet. Nothing pluging my ears! The bike cops have speakers in their helmet so why can't I?

Here's the closest we get today to what you're asking for:

prod_ifmdock_sub01b.jpgGriffin iFM

Here's the product Apple introduced at MacWorld in January that basically killed the iFM wink.gif

accessoriesradioremote20060110.gifApple FM Remote

I'd be happier with my iFM if it worked more like the apple product... but I have no idea how easy it is to do what apple did for you guys.

• Member Contributer

Well, i would say for $$$ (should be about 60 or so retail in my opinion) and reliability and ease of use stick with a wired solution. I dont need one more thing to try and pair up and make work and charge at the end of every day instead of going out for a drink and hitting my hotel room (which is where i am right now in ely NV...)

I get about 12 hours out of my nano, enough storage, and stick it in my tankbag map pocket. can still sort of work the controls, but not so much.

I think the larger glove usuable remotes have it there, as well as letting you further protect your gadget, my shuffle survived 2 seasons on my neck snowboarding (about 30-40 days on the hill a season too) and my nano with its invisible plastic stick on stuff i got does damn good. no failures yet, and the mao pocket is clear and dry even in rain.

So you have to say to yourself, how can i improve on that?

1:Well, the cord should be a breakaway connector between me and the tankbag, not at the player as it wont give till i launch the sucker.

2:the cord should have a 2 ends for the player to handle controls too, so a Y cable, where the third end comes out of tankbag about a foot long and has a connector. A atandard 1/8" mini jack will work as long as its redesigned to break away easy, i have found the force to disengauge those varies tremendously, design one with ball detents and tinyleaf springs. set it up to not disconnect with 90 mph wind force on the cord (about 130 behind the fairing).

3: The remote should be magnetic, waterproof, about the size of a pack of cigarettes AND have little holes on teh corners for saftey cords, or small saftey cord W/elastic to clip down to something (some bikes have plastic tanks. Go with membrane style buttons that provide a tactile feedback, a click i can feel through a glove.

4: provide a powder coated metal plate with it to attach it to my said map pocket on my tankbag (common)

5: have the cord Y thing take 2 AA batteries (not otehr types, they are pricey) to boost the volume with a switch turning the boost off and on, i can always turn it down with the control pad and it will be useful to overcome the earplugs. those who dont need it, can just leave the batteries out.

Thats about it. When you build it they will come!

Can i get the first one?

Oh, :goofy:

Thanks for using the guys out there on the battlefield (us) to help with market research. It makes us feel special. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

FYI, in case anyone's not familiar with this site.....reviews, new products, etc. etc.....basically iPod overload :goofy:

http://www.ilounge.com/

Also, here's a couple of different mounting methods I use with the Air Click.

I already had both the Rapid Transit Triple Tree bag and the Ram mount for video use.

On the RT bag there's one of the typical rubberized logos(sewn on) on the top of the bag so I just "cut" some of the threads in the middle area of the logo on the top and bottom just big enough for the clip on the remote to slip through. Works great. Logo is still firmly attached and the remote fits snug....easy to get to.

gallery_326_40_364909.jpg

100_0164.JPG iPod remote mounting

The next one is with the typical RAM style mount that many of us here use to mount a vid camera. There's a couple of ways that I use this one but the pictured version is using one of RAM's diamond shaped ball mounts and mounting the remote's bracket(the one that comes in the kit) to the diamond shaped mount with small zip ties. Then the remote itself slides into it's bracket like usual.

gallery_326_40_70649.jpg

100_0165.JPG iPod remote(Griffin Air Click) on RAM mount

The other way I use it is to mount the remote's bracket directly to the vertical RAM mount shaft using the supplied velcro that comes with the Air Click kit.

• Member Contributer
The only problems I have is with my sony earbuds tend to move around or get pulled on when I move my head.. I would like to see a set of earphones that are wireless.. Maybe something that mounts on the outside of the helmet and have a pair of speakers (left and right ) inside your Lid.. That way if it was wireless it would read to the outside of the helmet and transmit to the speakers inside.. Or even if they were wired.. You could have the wires on the outside of the Lid.. and transmitt to the speakers on the inside..

I hope I explained it good enought to get a mental picture..

I was just thinking about wireless the other day.. Maybe one day!! That could solve so many 'issues' on many levels..

I keep my Ipod in my inside jacket turned out so that I can skip tracks by pushing on the outside of my jacket. I'm sure the cagers are wonder what I'm doing.. :lol: Anyway I like SIMPLICITY meaning I don't want to buy 50 different accessories...

For mother's day the hubby bought me a set of molded ear phones that are molded specificially for my ears. I LOVE LOVE LOVE those and recommend them highly. The others just hurt!

My 2 cents!

• Member Contributer

I use the air-click attached to the clutch reservoir with the supplied velcro strips, works great. The only critisism I have is, I'd like to have a second dock connection on the bottom of the module attached to the i-pod, I also use the i-trip and would like to be able to use them both together when in the car, Then on my last trip I caught the remote with my jacket sleeve and ripped the remote of the mounting and have had to use some duct tape to hold them together now. Otherwise great product.

Update... the little Targus cord thingy with the Griffin AirClick works flawlessly. Planning on doing the RobertD mod to the remote this weekend. The Griffin remote is much better than the iJet... and you can use it with gloves (which I rarely wear in summer.) Also a much cheaper solution than the iJet

Update... the little Targus cord thingy with the Griffin AirClick works flawlessly. Planning on doing the RobertD mod to the remote this weekend. The Griffin remote is much better than the iJet... and you can use it with gloves (which I rarely wear in summer.) Also a much cheaper solution than the iJet

SWEET! Score one for the Home Team :thumbsup:

BTW, I did a design for a Dock Connector-to-Accessory Connector adapter (the Targus cable thingy) right before the nano came out last year. We killed it b/c of fear it would steal too many sales from our new designs. I was surprised how long it took somebody to come out with one.

• Member Contributer
I'd love to hear how you guys use your iPods (or other MP3 players) on your bikes.

Thanks!

Here's what I use on my MP3 player:

gallery_4511_528_36598.jpg

This is a cool remote that operates Sony MP3, MiniDisc and CD players. While it's not wireless, it's very easy to operate with gloves on and intuitive enough that you don't need to hunt around to find the right button while you are riding. Twist the control to advance or rewind a track, push down and twist to advance or go back to the next album, push the top for play/pause or stop.

There are lots of iPod wireless remotes, but the buttons are too small to operate when riding with gloves on. Best of all you can find these remotes cheap on eBay for around $5, making them very expendable if the worst happens (knock on wood so far for me).

The bad news is that they wont work on your iPod!

I've been using this for over a year on my VTEC, at first I glued a powerful magnet to the bottom (covered with tape) and just stuck it to the tank for easy access. I'm currently working on mounting it to the tankbang as part of my Starcom1 communication system, along with a volume control knob (which I also find easier to operate with riding gloves on) and a PTT button located where the Euro models have their "Flash to Pass" button.

I was going to do a bigger writeup on this but I didn't really know if there was any interest. The other pictures in my gallery show the work in progress on the tankbag project (Starcom/power socket, PTT socket, Volume & Sony Remote)

Archived