Why only half gear?

gbryant

• Member Contributer

I ride every day to work and I always wear:

Helmet

Gloves (I have a winter and summer pair)

Armored Jacket (I have winter ands summer)

Swat Tactical Boots (they are still a little rock and roll, and don't look Power Ranger-fied)

and

Jeans (is that bad? I am 6'5" those armored jeans aren't long enough)

Now look, if you are worried about the heat check this.

http://www.leeparksdesign.com/default.asp

If you get the non-insulated gloves, you will love them in the summer. They are the coolest gear I own, and look tough. ...and are so tactile, I can buckle my helmet with them on!

And I wear my Joe Rocket mesh armored jacket in the summer, and it is like wearing a t-shirt. Totally comfortable.

The best thing I have ever done with regard to riding is a) get appropriate Summer gear. B) get a tank bag (off topic)

Be safe.

..and why do motorcycle cops not wear the proper gear? Bad example for the kids.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
Ain't that the truth, knobs and bling items sticking off of all of them anymore. The SIDI's look the worst, but are the nicest, give us a plain black boot with no Bling.

I have as of yet even been able to find a pair of boots that are my size!!! sad.gif I don't have little feet either (size 9.)

It depends on where I'm going.. I have a 50 mile one way commute. I wear full leather, gloves, helmet, boots, etc etc.. My BOOTS are not riding boots though because I can't find any to fit me yet. But I AM going to buy some.

If I'm going to the PO box from work I will throw on my jacket/gloves/helmet and go. I don't put my leather pants on for that. Makes sense? I don't know if it does or not but that's what I do.

I can tell you though I have managed to buy a full set of leathers for $125. First gear mesh textile pants AND matching jacket for $75 and have yet another set (hope they fit) of FirstGear mesh Textiles on the way for $135. HOW? I bought ALL of them used! Of all I've received so far it's all been great and I have not been disappointed. The only thing I've bought myself NEW is my Powertrip mesh jacket and my gloves.

You don't have to spend a ton of money on gear to be safe. smile.gif None of my gear except for the Powertrip jacket looks 'flashy' either. It's just run of the mill red/blue/yellow gear!

When I ride I wear a Joe Rocket one piece leather race suit, back protector, Sidi boots, track gloves, and an Arai helmet.

Takes me 5 min. to put on all the stuff. Judging from how long it takes some people to get dressed, they must have 6 legs and 5 arms.

Even when I used to commute in the winter, I would put all the layers on (Joe Rocket Ballistic pants, etc...) in about 10 min.

If someone wants to ruin their summer with oozing scabs up and down their legs and arms from a little 30 mph, in town, "just went to return the movie rentals" crash... far be it from me to get in the way of their fun.

• Member Contributer

Oh and almost forgot...

On my way home from work yesterday I stopped to get gas. Some guy on a bright orange SOMETHING comes cruisin through the gas station in shorts and tshirt... Didn't stop to get gas or go into the store. Just cruised on through.

THAT is my definition of a SQUID.. It's the "Look at me, look at me!!" part that makes me laugh.. OH and I also laughed at the guy in the Accord revving his engine at me on the highway.. :lol:

• Member Contributer

I have these older-style Alpinestars Ridge boots and recently purchased a pair of Tour Master Response boots.

The TM's are waterproof/breathable and much more comfortable and have laces under the velcro to get a better fit. They also have elastic areas in the front and back of the top of the boots which make them more comfortable in the riding position. The old-style Ridge boots are just velcro closure on one side so they go on much quicker, but they are also only waterproof and not breathable so they will get hot in the summer.

Both are less than $100 at New Enough, but will not offer the same level of protection as the higher end race-style boots.

ALPINESTARS RIDGE

alpinestarsridgeboot.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

TOUR MASTER RESPONSE

pair.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

laces.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

• Member Contributer

If all you have is a 1-piece leather suit that is power-ranger I can see why you wouldn't wear it on the street. I have 2-piece leathers and they've been worn less then 5 times on the street.

I'm just curious if you're easily able to rationalize not wearing your gear, have you ever had a serious case of road rash? I've always worn my gear on my motorcycle(s) and I've had one crash, and got no road rash or even any serious bruises. But the reason I always wear my gear is I already had some really nasty road rash scars from other activities where you don't wear as much gear. Once you take that trip to the emergency room and put up with the annoyance of slowly healing road rash the memory fades very very slowly and you'll suddenly find it not such a PITA to put on the gear. As for cost, when I had my worst road rash accident I ended up out of work without pay for 2 weeks, it cost more then gear. (thankfully that probably wouldn't happen to me today if I was injured)

As for boots these are the ones I have, I LOVE them. Armored, gore-tex, and comfy enough to wear all day in the office. And no one even notices them once I put my pants over them, they think I'm just wearing slightly odd looking black shoes.

1_roadstargtx.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

If those don't do it for you Daytona has about 9 other pairs of gore-tex boots that are black and don't look "power ranger". Sidi has 6 models of boots that are black, Tourmaster has some, Oxtar has some, etc, etc, etc...

• Member Contributer

I ride to work everyday (3.5 miles). While the bike is warming up, I throw on the jacket, helmet, and gloves. I just dont 'feel' the need to put on my leather pants and boots for my ride into work. Its a calculated risk I'm willing to take.

I've grown up on motorcycles, and can't imagine riding in 'shorts & t-shirt'. My minimum comfort level is fully covered (no exposed skin).

• Member Contributer

The judgemental nature of folks never ceases to amaze me. Seems to me we're all about diffentiating ourselves from our fellow riders. We divide ourselves by type of bike and look down our noses at those who ride cruisers. They do the same with respect to us. Now, within our own type, we've divide ourselves by our gear preferences. Those who can't ride to the SpeedieMart for a Red Bull without full leathers look down their noses and comment derisively about those who don't make the same risk calculation.

I have no intention of getting all Rodney King about this. We're NOT going to "all get along." Many in the sport seem to feel the need to differentiate themselves in such a way as to make them feel superior to others. Some us like to think we're fast. I gave up on that a long time ago. When I raced I got passed by a lot of people, Kevin Schwantz, Doug Polen, John Kosinski, and a host of slower guys left me for dead, so I have no illusions about impressing anybody with my speed.

As to gear. I make my calculations about the risks I choose to accept and if others think them wrong, so be it.

• Member Contributer
The judgemental nature of folks never ceases to amaze me. Seems to me we're all about diffentiating ourselves from our fellow riders. We divide ourselves by type of bike and look down our noses at those who ride cruisers. They do the same with respect to us. Now, within our own type, we've divide ourselves by our gear preferences. Those who can't ride to the SpeedieMart for a Red Bull without full leathers look down their noses and comment derisively about those who don't make the same risk calculation.

As to gear. I make my calculations about the risks I choose to accept and if others think them wrong, so be it.

Exactly! Why bungee jump, why whitewater raft, why skydive, why downhil mtn. bike and why drive an older car with no airbags and abs for that matter. There is risk everywhere.....It's unfortunate that others mistakes effect everyones insurance rates, but as long as you are accountable for yourself and don't bellyache to me.......ride in your bathrobe for all I care. Just have FUN!!!! That's what I bought a motorcycle for. Freedom and fun.

Personally, I am more disturbed at the number of people that are under insured or have no insurance at all vs. some squid in flip flops, shorts and a tank top.

I apologize if this seemed like a rant. I am not angry....just amazed at the judgemental nature of people. Can't we all just get along. :lol:

Damn, I'm old...

Thirty years ago a women drove through a stop sign and t-boned me. I went for a short flight and landed on my left shoulder and rolled to my feet. I was wearing leather jacket & gloves, work boots, helment, and jeans. I still have no feeling on the skin of my left knee where the blue jeans abraded through on the asphalt just prior to the skin abrading from me...

Now becoming an ATGATT type guy, I've lowsided on the street (textiles) and track (leather) at speed without further abrasive injury.

But, the point is youse pays your money and makes youse choices... YMMV :lol:

.......ride in your bathrobe for all I care.  Just have FUN!!!!  That's what I bought a motorcycle for.  Freedom and fun.

But, the point is youse pays your money and makes youse choices...  YMMV :lol:

And my choice is to ride in my BATHROBE! Flap, flap, flap....oooops! Sorry, mam! :squid:

• Member Contributer
And my choice is to ride in my BATHROBE!  Flap, flap, flap....oooops!  Sorry, mam!  :squid:

I knew I should have put some sort of disclaimer on that. Never give a Floridian the "option" to wear clothes. :lol:

• Member Contributer

I re-read the whole thread just now and still can't find where anyone was being judgemental?? (where's that dang confused smiley??)

Cementhead - my husband was hit head on back in the 90's. Broke both his arms, his left leg now has a rod in it, and he has numerous places where he has no feeling on his skin. Couple places on his head his hair won't grow b/c his helmet came off. He was out of work for a year-family was called in twice when he was in ICU b/c he almost died.

His mom took pictures of his leg, arms, etc... Let me tell you those are some NASTY pictures too.. But now I have something to show my son when he is ready to start riding. Nasty nastiness!!

Oh and I just got back from having my nails done and didn't wear my gloves!! :P :lol:

Damn, I'm old...

Thirty years ago a women drove through a stop sign and t-boned me.  I went for a short flight and landed on my left shoulder and rolled to my feet.  I was wearing leather jacket & gloves, work boots, helment, and jeans.  I still have no feeling on the skin of my left knee where the blue jeans abraded through on the asphalt just prior to the skin abrading from me...

Now becoming an ATGATT type guy, I've lowsided on the street (textiles) and track (leather) at speed without further abrasive injury.

But, the point is youse pays your money and makes youse choices...  YMMV :lol:

• Member Contributer
anyone find themselves in this scenario:

A real tight turn, looking as far through as you can, which since you are looking so tight, it causes you to cut your apex too close, which could be the centerline? I continue to look far through the turn but on those real tight ones that seem to go forever I don't look THAT far ahead anymore.  Anyone else?

He has frame sliders too, good to go.

He has that knee out there as if to put it down, ouch, not too smart.

I guess I wasn't clear... why wear some gear? I guess I figure all or none...

Jeans definately are NOT better than full gear. However, they do add protection over, say, polyester or wool pants. If you're wearing everything else with a pair of jeans, and you're not hot-dogging it, I'd say you're good for the most part. Sometimes it's just not possible to do the Michelin Man routine...

• Member Contributer

I had kind of a funny reverse kind of thing happen a couple of weeks ago.

I was invited to go on a ride with a group that I didn't know at all by a guy that rides with our group occassionally. He thought I'd enjoy riding with these other guys ability wise yada, yada, yada.

So I did go, did enjoy it and had fun. Wore my normal gear which is two piece leathers, etc.

At the end of the ride we stopped at the Rock Store(these guys do a Fri ride thing) and another of their regular riding buddies whom I had met but not ridden with before had shown up to hang out. He didn't go on the ride because he was getting over being sick.

So, he asks the other guys in their group how I fit in, how I ride, etc.(typical stuff that a group that rides together does when there's a new guy) and there was the typical talk of us tearing up the canyons, yada, yada, yada...i.e. all is good as far as me with the group apparently......yada, yada,yada :lol:

Now to the point....the "sick" guy then looks at me in my leathers and says..."Yeah, well you certainly look the part" or something to that effect.

I didn't even know what to say! I've never thought about "looking the part" per say, just about wearing good protective gear. The longer I've been riding, the more serious about my gear I've become so I just never really think of it any other way.

These guys were all wearing jackets, boots, jeans which I didn't think about one way or the other, but after that comment and realizing that apparently atleast this one guy thought I was over dressed I did think more about it and realized that I was surprised at his reaction.

I just never really think about my being overdressed...it just seems normal for ME....it's just what I've chosen to wear for protection.

As I mentioned, I had no problem with what they all were wearing...didn't even think about it....it's their choice and their business.

Kind of funny though as the comments about gear usually come more from the other direction, i.e. suggesting that people wear more protective gear....not the other way around. :squid:

I think next time I ride with these guys, I may ask them why THEY aren't wearing full leathers especially considering the level that some of them ride at :P

My theory is to each his own. I have seen/known too many people that got seriously hurt from a lack of protective gear. I love to ride and I don't have a death wish, so I try to wear the most protective gear possible irregardless of the tempature outside. And at the least will wear jeans, armored jacket, helmet, and gloves. It's about risk management......the pavement, vehicles, fixed objects all don't feel to good with sunglasses, tank top, shorts, and flip flops.

I don't care who wears what.......as long as it doesn't cause my insurance to increase based upon their choices. My 2 cents.

• Member Contributer

Das bone that's funny you say that because when I came back from lunch I heard... "WOW racer!!" I said, "NO, PADDED!" in a nice way.. My stuff is not flashy at all either.. Most of it is just black.

BUT>>> before I had a bike and only rode with my husband I thought the full leather sportbike look was just that - a LOOK. I had never talked to anyone that rode a sport bike or that wore full gear. I didn't know you could buy stuff with armor in it. I thought they were wearing all that garb to look cool! :lol: (not sure why I thought that since riding in leather in N.C. in the summer is ANYTHING but cool....sweltering is more like it!!!)

• Member Contributer
Das bone that's funny you say that because when I came back from lunch I heard...  "WOW racer!!"  I said, "NO, PADDED!"  in a nice way..  My stuff is not flashy at all either.. Most of it is just black.

BUT>>>  before I had a bike and only rode with my husband I thought the full leather sportbike look was just that - a LOOK.  I had never talked to anyone that rode a sport bike or that wore full gear.  I didn't know you could buy stuff with armor in it.    I thought they were wearing all that garb to look cool!      (not sure why I thought that since riding in leather in N.C. in the summer is ANYTHING but cool....sweltering is more like it!!!)

:blink:

I like that..."Padded" B)

It is funny how we all tend to stereotype things, i.e. what others wear..what kind of bikes they ride, etc. Human nature I guess, although I try not to do too much of it and hope that others extend the same courtesy.

It can get pretty comical when it comes from the reverse of what normally happens.....catches you of guard :P

• Member Contributer

Some of you know my wife rode pillion with me on the "sign the flaf ride / Denver" this past weekend. She has a JR textile jacket, gloves, and an HJC but no pants or boots. She was in jeans and hiking boots. I attempted to ride slower than my usual pace while still keeping up with the middle of the pack and kept it as smooth on the shifts as possible to make her feel comfy since she doesn't get on too often. The first thing she said when she dismounted at home was "That was so much fun, probably the best motorcycle ride I've ever been on. I need to get some pants now." Uh-oh. I've created a monster. Before bed Sunday night I caught her checking out :o newenough.com. :o Now what do I do?

• Member Contributer
Some of you know my wife rode pillion with me on the "sign the flaf ride / Denver" this past weekend. She has a JR textile jacket, gloves, and an HJC but no pants or boots. She was in jeans and hiking boots. I attempted to ride slower than my usual pace while still keeping up with the middle of the pack and kept it as smooth on the shifts as possible to make her feel comfy since she doesn't get on too often. The first thing she said when she dismounted at home was "That was so much fun, probably the best motorcycle ride I've ever been on. I need to get some pants now." Uh-oh. I've created a monster. Before bed Sunday night I caught her checking out  newenough.com. :o  Now what do I do?

Buy her some pants AND a pair of boots :beer:

:thumbsup:

Archived