Why only half gear?

gbryant

• Member Contributer

I was riding yesterday. I noticed that most sport bikers wear only a protective jacket and a helmet.... and blue jeans. Do they think that injuries only happen from the waist up? I saw two riders wearing Joe Rocket jackets, tennis shoes, blue jeans and no helmets... and, their tires were bald... one even had worn through the outer layer of rubber in spots. If they think riding pants aren't cool, why don't they wear Draggin Jeans? :blink:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I hear you...this has been beat up pretty hard here before. I wear Draggin Jeans at a minimum, and usually have JR pants over them. I've seen guys zipping down I69 @ 80 mph without even any eye protection!

However, to each his own, and I know there are those here who will vehemently defend the choice to ride with little or no gear. I guess that's what's great about the USA, we have the freedom to choose.

• Member Contributer
I was riding yesterday. I noticed that most sport bikers wear only a protective jacket and a helmet.... and blue jeans. Do they think that injuries only happen from the waist up? I saw two riders wearing Joe Rocket jackets, tennis shoes, blue jeans and no helmets... and, their tires were bald... one even had worn through the outer layer of rubber in spots. If they think riding pants aren't cool, why don't they wear Draggin Jeans??? :blink:

Believe it or not, it's not always a function of "looking cool." Some folks make a calculation and choose not to spend the time suiting up like the Michelin Man for each and every ride. Personally, I do most of my riding in jeans, a jacket, boots (of some sort), helmet and gloves. If I bust my ass, well, it's my ass.

The downside of the religious zeal with which the ATGATT converts preach is that some folks get the impression they're not allowed to make their own minds up. A few weeks ago a lister here decided to sell his bike. One reason he gave was not wanting to take 15 minutes to put all the gear on for the 2 mile ride to work.

For what it's worth, I attribute his leaving the sport in part to the gear police.

I am one of those guys that where half protection, Leather jacket, Helmet, and gloves....with that said, I also where jeans.

I know that jeans are probably not the protection that you would get with Draggin jeans, but I feel comfortable with the jeans. I have had laid my bike down once after a vehicle that had pulled out in front of me and the jeans performed as well as my leather jacket. Other than bruises, no skin lost.

It does make me think about possibly getting a pair of those draggin jeans, but for right now, I am not so sure that it offers a significant increase in protection. I could be wrong, but thats how I see it.

I ride year round wearing a helmet, jacket and jeans (gloves of course) when I commute which is just under 50 miles a day. I'm more then comfortable in the fact that I wear jeans. In fact, most of the people who ride into work do the same thing. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing but everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course.

I guess I wasn't clear... why wear some gear? I guess I figure all or none...

It's simple - choices. Some IS better than none. I have full gear but sometimes I opt for the blue jeans instead of the leather pants - short trip to the grocery store, whatever. Even getting on the thing is a calculated risk - riding in jeans is just a little more risk.

• Member Contributer

When I was a kid I had a mini-bike. While riding on a dirt road I hit some loose sand and lost it. I ended up on top of the mini-bike with the throttle wide open and the chain trying to saw my leg off. After I got back up I looked at my jeans and there was a big black greasy stripe along the front of the left leg, but the jeans we intact. I rolled up my pants leg and found a large gash in my shin that was bleeding pretty good. The only thing the jeans did was keep the grease from the chain out of the wound on my shin.

Guest Hootie
At this time, (post Harley ownership) the gear described above is what I wear.  Now that I have a VFR and an ST1300, I would like to purchase a riding set that has separate pants & jacket.  I have not yet started to shop to see what is available.  Is it better to get over-the-pants to be worn over my blue jeans, or riding pants alone?  A plain pair of riding boots is also on my 'need' list.

My only criteria is that I don't want to look like a friggin Power Ranger.  Some sportbike riders I see on the street (not track) look so ridiculous.  Any comfortable recommendations?

Just before X-Mas 2005 I purchased Cycleport's matching stretch kevlar jacket and pants. The pants can easily be worn over pants (AND shorts SAFELY). They zip on and off very EASILY (I commuted today to work, 76 miles total). Good armor and the kevlar is supposedly just about indestructible (not yet tested). Pricey but many, many kudos from others posted elsewhere. Good luck.

Hootie

• Member Contributer

B)

OK, I really wanted to think about this first to see if I wanted to respond... Nah, I'll just say my peace & step aside...

Pretty much, some have, and some have not... Some care, and some do not care about what they saw!

If you could only see the end results of a ride gone bad, for a human who decided not to put on even a small piece of minimal gear... his gloves. I will not describe the site. Or the other guy who just had on jeans, and who fell off his bike at speeds less than 45 mph... Or the other guy, who still rides, who lost his lower left leg... whom now has a prosthesis (leather would not have helped him)

It is a risk to even turn that key.

It's simply a choice of risk vs. convenience vs. appearance vs. distance vs. "anticipated velocity" vs. weather vs.......risk again.

I would feel kinda silly getting into all my gear to ride a mile or three. And what to do when you get there....be a Power Ranger?

But then, I would feel even sillier if I got all my skin ground off a mile from my house.

And then there's the Harley guys with their jeans and silly black leather vests over a bare chest.

But, getting back to the original question, I think that helmet, jacket, gloves....and jeans & tennies or Timb's boots presents an acceptable risk to the majority of sportbikers, most of the time. This risk is not necessarily rooted in medical science...it's just a perception. When they know they're gonna wick-it-up in a group ride, out comes the gear...birds of a feather, yaknow.

And there's yet another group to consider (and they chimed in above), and that's the frequent, dedicated commuter doing 10-60 miles most every day, in all sorts of weather. They know their exposure (i.e. risk) to weather and danger is greater, AND they wanna protect their clothes, AND they change into normal work/office clothes once they get there and lose the Power Ranger image. It's their routine, day in and day out.

I ride in shorts and tennies and sunglasses. I ride in full gear. I ride "halfway". I often ride in jeans, a jacket and gloves, and biker goggles. Go figure!

Do you always wear your seatbelt? Why? If you ride a cycle, doesn't a seatbelt seem like a little excessive? You have all that nice protective steel (or fiberglass :blink: )...much better than JR mesh and a helmet!!

• Member Contributer

I wear an Icon armour vest under my mesh jacket with the armour still on elbows and shoulders. Helmet and gloves are given and so is an UnderArmour long sleeve shirt for the heat down here. I just wear bdu pants and police tach boots that work good for work as well. I figure with my build most of the impact on a fall is going to be on my upper body. So that is where I protect the most. I would like to get a pair of mesh or textile overpants, just haven't found a pair that I like yet.

Considering how many people i see wearing shorts i think wearing jeans it doing pretty good.and whats the deal with the flip flop thing?doesnt that hurt ur foot to shift?i hope their foot doesnt accidently slide off the peg.

• Member Contributer
"I would feel kinda silly getting into all my gear to ride a mile or three.  And what to do when you get there....be a Power Ranger?" 

This is my point exactly.  I would like to purchase a set that isn't so loud.  For example, on our VFRD homepage is a photo of the Sign The Flaf Ride group.  The rider closest in the photo has a black set or suit on, it looks fine.  This is the 'look' that would be acceptable for me.  I would assume/hope that it's something that is good for cool/cold weather but still ventable in warmer climates.  Plus it would give more protection against road rash.  That is what I want to buy.

VFR05,

You may be interested in Joe Rocket's Alter Ego pants. They are great over jeans for commuting or shorts etc. I will wear them with my boots into stores without feeling like I came off the set of a Power Rangers filming. They're great for temps from 95 to 25 and have great armor for textile pants. Rain or shine, the only thing they aren't good for is track days! I will continue to recommend these to others with such a need. Jeans don't come close to being so versital and protective.

I wear jeans right now because that is what I have. I have had a hard time finding a pair of riding pants that a.) Fit correctly and b.) match the gear that I have.

I am not going to go out and get something that doesn't match up with the jacket and gloves, helmet etc. I would look like a complete tool if I did, and I would prefer to not look like a tool.

Also, with 5 kids living in my house, I don't get to go out and spend on whatever I feel like whenever I want. I wish this were true, but since it isn't, I had to invest where I felt things were needed the most.

Later,

Jeff

• Member Contributer

I started wearing full gear this year when I go on more spirited rides. If I am just tooling around town or riding my bike while I go on errands etc.. I'll just wear whats confortable. The reason is that if I am going to meet some people for dinner, going to a friends house, etc.. I'm not going to sit around in a full set of leathers. I figure the risk of road rash is lower if I am just riding around the city at 50-60 mph, vs. around a rural road corner at 85. I always wear a helmet and gloves. On real hot 90+ days, I might not wear a jacket to run an errand.

Like others have already mentioned, its a calculated risk. Some people never ride their bikes unless they are going on official "rides" atgatt is fine for that I think. It doesn't really make much sense for me however when I like to ride my bike anytime I get the chance (when the wife and kids aren't with me and the weather is nice), Going to the Bank, or riding to the Gym, etc...

• Member Contributer

I look at it like this, I can function with out legs, but no arms you are pretty well screwed. I wear riding pants 70% of the time and the other 30% I have on draggin jeans or The Icon jeans. It is each persons decision, but certianly isn't all or nothing. If you don't wear pants, should you also not wear a helmet or glasses...... I don't think so.

VFR05,

You may be interested in Joe Rocket's Alter Ego pants.  They are great over jeans for commuting or shorts etc.  I will wear them with my boots into stores without feeling like I came off the set of a Power Rangers filming.  They're great for temps from 95 to 25 and have great armor for textile pants.  Rain or shine, the only thing they aren't good for is track days!  I will continue to recommend these to others with such a need.  Jeans don't come close to being so versital and protective.

And I wear the JR Phoenix, because like VFR05, I'm here in Florida and it's already very warm on most days. The Phoenix pops on over shorts, and pops off just as quick. Of course, I have the matching Phoenix jacket, all in black, and I figger it's not too PowerRangery. The Alters are very nice pants....just a leeeetle too warm to make them practical in the hot zones. And if you're gonna be uncomfortable, you're likely gonna talk yourself out of wearing them. Might as well jeans, then!

I started wearing full gear this year when I go on more spirited rides. If I am just tooling around town or riding my bike while I go on errands etc.. I'll just wear whats confortable. The reason is that if I am going to meet some people for dinner, going to a friends house, etc.. I'm not going to sit around in a full set of leathers. I figure the risk of road rash is lower if I am just riding around the city at 50-60 mph, vs. around a rural road corner at 85. I always wear a helmet and gloves. On real hot 90+ days, I might not wear a jacket to run an errand.

Yep, calculated risk vs. perceived reward. Me too!

Some people never ride their bikes unless they are going on official "rides" atgatt is fine for that I think. It doesn't really make much sense for me however when I like to ride my bike anytime I get the chance (when the wife and kids aren't with me and the weather is nice), Going to the Bank, or riding to the Gym, etc...

Yeah, the bike is there to enjoy. It's not enjoyable if it's a burden to ATGATT.

And finally, as far at the "halfway" kidz (and many of us), I think there's a lot of psychology at work here. We've all skinned a knee, so we THINK we can deal with a leg scuff. But we know we should have something on our upper body, thus the cool looking jacket. [would you wear one if it was truly protective so that you looked like the Michelin Man? No.] And, for some of the kidz, the cost of gear limits them to helmet and jacket and gloves, because the "risk" to legs is acceptable vs. the cost of leg gear. And boots.

And talking about Power Ranger stuff...what's with BOOTS! Is all that decoration and ribs and color and bling really necessary? Looks like an astronaut! Sheesh!

• Member Contributer
And talking about Power Ranger stuff...what's with BOOTS!  Is all that decoration and ribs and color and bling really necessary?  Looks like an astronaut!  Sheesh!

Ain't that the truth, knobs and bling items sticking off of all of them anymore. The SIDI's look the worst, but are the nicest, give us a plain black boot with no Bling.

• Member Contributer

Aside from the Stich I recently ordered, I've been contemplating a pair of Draggin Jeans or Bohn adventure pants (maybe both) as an option for summer wear.

• Member Contributer

There is a lot of underestimating of risk in this thread and a lot of overestimating time to put on gear.

15 minutes to put on gear? If it takes you that long maybe you're too slow and uncoordinated to ride?

Popular culture says "Motorcycle = Jeans" but that doesn't mean it's OK or safe.

And the power ranger excuse is really old, the jackets you guys wear are what makes you look like a power ranger, the vast majority of pants are black, and there are tons of good motorcycle boots that are also black.

BTW don't fall into the trap of thinking you're safer on your commute then backroads, the commute is just as bad if not worse.

• Member Contributer
And the power ranger excuse is really old, the jackets you guys wear are what makes you look like a power ranger, the vast majority of pants are black, and there are tons of good motorcycle boots that are also black.

Teknic Lightning are the boots that I wear and they aren't bad, but there are some funny looking ones out there.

BTW don't fall into the trap of thinking you're safer on your commute then backroads, the commute is just as bad if not worse.

I am more likely to wear my textile pants and mesh/leather jacket during my commutes, leather pants/jacket during my sporty rides and draggin jeans and mesh/leather jacket during leisurely rides. I always wear my boots and gloves, and to gear up for a commute it takes about 3 minutes and to get in my leathers it takes about 5 minutes.

• Member Contributer
I am not going to go out and get something that doesn't match up with the jacket and gloves, helmet etc. I would look like a complete tool if I did, and I would prefer to not look like a tool. 

Also, with 5 kids living in my house, I don't get to go out and spend on whatever I feel like whenever I want. I wish this were true, but since it isn't, I had to invest where I felt things were needed the most.

Here is a link for FirstGear HT Air Overpants for $139 on closeout at New Enough. I have them with the upgraded armor in the knees and hips. This should be peanuts compared to that Laser exhaust you recently purchased! :P

http://www.newenough.com/firstgear_ht_air_overpants_page.htm

• Member Contributer
There is a lot of underestimating of risk in this thread and a lot of overestimating time to put on gear.

15 minutes to put on gear?  If it takes you that long maybe you're too slow and uncoordinated to ride?

Popular culture says "Motorcycle = Jeans" but that doesn't mean it's OK or safe.

Well said Ben. Rode in to work for the first time this season this AM. Be-YOU-tiful out there. I'm an ATGATT person, well for most of the time. If I'm going up the street a few miles to grab something from the corner store, I'll throw on the boots, jacket, gloves, helmet...but for any longer distance, ya know what? My skin is worth a LOT to me....it's worth a LOT more than the amount of time it takes to throw on the pants....

Of course, I also change once I get to work, and while commuting to work, I will always have my backpack, 'cause I need to carry computer/pants....I keep spare shoes in the office.

However, YMMV. Just ride safe. It's all about mitigating risk. On each ride you go on, you will chose SOME acceptable amount of risk. And you will gear up/down accordingly. The :squid: s do if, but I'm not sure they understand what their skin is for....I mean, how else are you gonna keep all those internal organs in place?

Edit: By squid I'm referring to the shorts/sandals/t-shirt/no gloves super-bike riders...I'm sure I wasn't clear on that point...

• Member Contributer

Alright I confess I am one of those "half gear" drivers. Personally for me I never liked the look of leather pants..on me anyway!

But after hearing about draggin jeans I will be sure to order a couple pair.

So thanks guys...you quite possibly just saved my butt. smile.gif

Archived