Yamahonda Oil Filter Alternative

Veefer800Canuck

So I don't have the luxury of a Honda dealer near to me, and the one that is 2 hours away wants a princely 20 bucks for a dang oil filter.......

What I DO have is a Yamaha shop and I discovered from a VTX1800 riding friend that a filter common to many Yamahas will fit.

gallery_554_564_342106.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Check it out! :beer: It even fits outboard motors! :P

gallery_554_564_120338.jpg

Picture 001.jpg

Cheaper at only 12 bucks.

The possibly better part is that instead of a pleated paper element, it has a solid block of synthetic media.

gallery_554_564_174847.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

• Member Contributer

There are many very high quality aftermarket filters that fit our bikes. Search the threads and you will find info on the two major ones. Purolator Pure One and Mobil One filters are about the best IMO and many others.

There are many very high quality aftermarket filters that fit our bikes. Search the threads and you will find info on the two major ones. Purolator Pure One and Mobil One filters are about the best IMO and many others.

Yes, but the key for me is availability in this little logging/oilfield town located 2 hours from the bright lights. :idea3:

• Member Contributer

If there is an auto parts store anywhere around you you can get the mobile 1 mb 108 filter for about 8 bucks.

Guest VFReyes

Two wheel friends,

if'n you like runnin' Honda brand,

try AZMotorsports. The are/were a VFRD sponsor. I did not see any discount on my last order but the prices were OK. Allow ~2-3 weeks for order to arrive.

The sell them for ~7.50ea.

I order four with tire sets .

The little brown truck will bring them to your door.

Just another option,

cheers, . .. . . . .. . . .

Guest 7K Rush

Lately I've been using the STP SMO-17 filter, which is specifically for motorcycles. It appears to be a decent quality filter, better than Fram anyway. Also, it's only about $6 at Auto Zone.

try AZMotorsports. The are/were a VFRD sponsor. I did not see any discount on my last order but the prices were OK.

There is no discount on OEM parts, but their prices are usually very good.

• Member Contributer

I started using a $2.00 Walmart filter. (Supertech ST6607) The one on the left is a Fram,...Wallyworld filter on right.

IM000203.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

As the graph clearly illustrates, the Supertech has a longer green thing.

IM000201.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

It's actually a little smaller than stock.

IM000202.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

• Member Contributer
If there is an auto parts store anywhere around you you can get the mobile 1 mb 108 filter for about 8 bucks.

the Mobil 1 filters I get at AutoZone. I order Purolator Pure One online by the case as they are not a west coast item. East coast folks should be able to find them readily.

Guest coldcanuk
So I don't have the luxury of a Honda dealer near to me, and the one that is 2 hours away wants a princely 20 bucks for a dang oil filter.......

What I DO have is a Yamaha shop and I discovered from a VTX1800 riding friend that a filter common to many Yamahas will fit.

gallery_554_345_452388.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Picture 005.jpg

Veefer

It's posts like this that make this site awesome! You also had a great post on valve stems.

Dumb question: Is this filter good for the 6th gen bike?

Excellent info., cheers Veefer! I hate spending $20 bucks on the Honda filter.

• Member Contributer

Call me crazy but, I just order the OEM filters from Service Honda. They generally get stuff to me within a week or so and they only charge $8.27 vs the local dealer's $12.99. I generally order a few at a time so that I have extras on the shelf when I need them.

Guest 7K Rush
Call me crazy but, I just order the OEM filters from Service Honda.? They generally get stuff to me within a week or so and they only charge $8.27 vs the local dealer's $12.99.? I generally order a few at a time so that I have extras on the shelf when I need them.

That's just crazy. :P

• Member Contributer
As the graph clearly illustrates, the Supertech has a longer green thing.

I'm always careful to know the green thing length of every filter before I install it.

LMAO!!!

:D

Two wheel friends,

if'n you like runnin' Honda brand, try AZMotorsports.

The sell them for ~7.50ea.

I order four with tire sets .

The little brown truck will bring them to your door.

The little brown truck arrives (in Canada) with a family-sized jar of Vaseline and a very large brokerage bill too.

BROKER-age being the fine point. $7.50 filter instantly doubles in value with shipping, GST, duty and brokerage.

The Yamaha dealer is a mile away from me.

the Mobil 1 filters I get at AutoZone. I order Purolator Pure One online by the case as they are not a west coast item. East coast folks should be able to find them readily.

We've got Purolator up here in Portland. :D It's only a 5-minute walk for me to the local Fred Meyer, which is nice when you start changing the oil in your car or bike and find out you've only got oil filters for the other.

So far, Fred Meyer is the only place I've found that carries Purolator. Autozone and Schuck's (that's Kragen or Checkers for you non-Northwesterners) don't seem to carry them. <_<

• Member Contributer
Lately I've been using the STP SMO-17 filter, which is specifically for motorcycles.  It appears to be a decent quality filter, better than Fram anyway.  Also, it's only about $6 at Auto Zone.

Don't tell anybody but STP filters and Walmart filters are both made by Champion Labs. Guess who makes the Mobil-1 and Bosch filters everybody raves about? Yep, Champion Labs. Shhhhhh, don't say anything. Let them buy those $8-12 filters when we can get ours for $2-5. wink.gif

Don't tell anybody but STP filters and Walmart filters are both made by Champion Labs.  Guess who makes the Mobil-1 and Bosch filters everybody raves about?  Yep, Champion Labs.  Shhhhhh, don't say anything.  Let them buy those $8-12 filters when we can get ours for $2-5.    wink.gif

Doesn't mean there using the same filter medium in every filter though ! :idea3:

:P