Not another 5G undertail exhaust.

tok tokkie

• Member Contributer

Busy day today. I got the system gasketed, put together and mounted without a whole lot of fuss, but it was a royal pain to get the right-side (used to be) centerstand bolt in past the headers. Oddly, it was much easier with the larger-diameter 5th gen headers in place. I'm very happy with the result visually, but it's no quieter than my underseat setup was (minor issue), so I may play with some stainless steel wool between the inlet and outlet pipes and see what that does.

As for practicality, I no longer have to worry about loading up the luggage and wife on the back and hitting the exhaust with the rear wheel.

Thank you Ralph, for designing this remarkable muffler and sharing your ingenuity. I'll never fail to mention that this wasn't my idea when people see it (besides, it's kind of fun to let them know it was custom-designed for me in South Africa wink.gif )

gallery_5128_669_492488.jpg

The Whole Shebang.JPG

gallery_5128_669_139932.jpg

Front.JPG

gallery_5128_669_450046.jpg

Lovely Profile.JPG

gallery_5128_669_67857.jpg

Rear Three-Quarter View.JPG

gallery_5128_669_812936.jpg

Side View Close-Up.JPG

gallery_5128_669_796326.jpg

Mrs. Magellan.JPG

I'll post up a .wav file as soon as my laptop comes back from the repair shop ( I use it to record)

So whaddya think?

• Member Contributer

Have you really left the O2 sensors on?

Now who is going to be first to extend the fairing right to the back? Would look nice but difficult with headers on right sticking out slightly but can on left even more in the way & also the side stand. Not high up my priority list but very high on my wish list. Your turn?

You say it is noisy. What tubes have you got inside at this stage?

• Member Contributer
Have you really left the O2 sensors on?

Now who is going to be first to extend the fairing right to the back? Would look nice but difficult with headers on right sticking out slightly but can on left even more in the way & also the side stand. Not high up my priority list but very high on my wish list. Your turn?

You say it is noisy. What tubes have you got inside at this stage?

I have perforated tubes both for inlet and outlet. I may go ahead and leave it loud for a while and see if it bothers me. I certainly love the quality of the sound, but I may want to take it down a few decibels with solid outlet tubes.

The O2 pigtails are of course connected to nothing. I simply didn't go to the effort of finding or making plugs yet.

• Member Contributer

I am so relieved the back wheel wasn't levered off the road by that touch-down. I have had some scary thoughts of what might have been.

The Phantom wrote me months ago suggesting a tapered shape ( \____/ is the ASCI diagram he sent). It was part of his suggestion for extending the fairing backwards but certainly a good idea for anyone else who makes one of these. Mounting is really close to the underside of the gearbox would also help; remember that from 2000 on there is the cat/con under there but it has a heat shield which both protects the gearbox & keeps the cat/con hot. Really close to the gearbox plus a thin heatshield may be the way to go. It is getting messy.

• Member Contributer

I thought about that shape as well, but retroactively. I think it would be fairly easy to cut the sides right off the muffler and weld in two flat pieces angled out as you've shown.

I think I've probably got mine situated now. I was able to move the whole thing up about 1/4" at the front and 3/8" at the rear (had to lose most of the clearance between the suspension link and heat shield). Then I took a body hammer and very carefully hammered a taper into the lower right rear corner of the muffler, filed and sanded it smooth, and called it good. I'll have to load up and go for a ride to see if it's the final solution, but I think it'll do.

• Member Contributer

I had a look at my set-up after writing my last post. My last post is all rubbish. Muffler is behind the gearbox under the swing arm pivots. It is jacked up tight against the center stand lugs & can't go any higher unless pockets are made for the lugs in the muffler.

Yours is the only option available at this stage. Starting again we could fab a differently shaped muffler with better clearance.

• Member Contributer
unless pockets are made for the lugs in the muffler.

I also found myself wishing for this. Additionally, about 4mm could be shaved off the bottom of those lugs without compromising their strength at the threads. Might be worthwhile for that extra little vertical adjustment if I touch down again.

On a funny note, I had a guy looking the muffler over yesterday and admiring the handiwork. Then he said, "But I don't like the outlets. They look cheesy. They should come up beside the tire, like this..." and with his hand drew a line up to the hub center. "...like on a Harley with the tips of the pipes turned upward." :huh:

Sure glad he didn't design this system! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Magellan, Tokkie

If you want close up shots of a NR's underpan (or any other body panels) to help you fabricate one, let me know.

My local Honda dealer (Arie Molenaar) is just a few miles up the road and he has a NR on permanent display.

Or if a video (.WMV) is more helpfull, no problem.

Leon

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest steven113

I wander if I could make something similar to that to fit under my streched fairing? I really like the clean look of his bike. Here would be the space I would have to work with. Do you think it would be possible to do without melting my plastic?

post-16351-12618496013_thumb.jpg

post-16351-126184970776_thumb.jpg

post-16351-126184984439_thumb.jpg

HS brought this out of the darkness so I thought I'd add a post to bring it back to life on the forums. :goofy:

Still a great project! :fing02:

gallery_5128_669_85370.jpg

BTW whatever happened to Tok??? :goofy:

Unfortunately, Ralph crashed his bike and basically broke the frame in half.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29004

gallery_4545_2572_540501.jpg

Toro1 now has Ralph's RC51 front end and is installing it on his blown 5th gen.

I get a kick out of this thread because the pipes he used to build his exhorrrst system came off of my bike. I had bought another set to JetHot, and after installing them, Tokkie asked about my originals. So I took those pipes, cut them just above collector to make for easier packaging for a trip from Florida to South Africa and because Tokkie obviously didn't need anything except the headpipes. Also in that box I had procured for him some TemperPedic foam (seat), the Factory Pro shift kit, RC51 head bearings, a seat cowl (so he could paint it to match his custom bodywork color), some Gorilla Glue (he loved that stuff!) and a few other items that aren't readily available for a 5th Gen in South Africa.

It was great fun to see his ideas become a very cool bike, and I was quite bummed when he had his crash and the bike was no more. sad.gif

Guest vfrrider

I wander if I could make something similar to that to fit under my streched fairing? I really like the clean look of his bike. Here would be the space I would have to work with. Do you think it would be possible to do without melting my plastic?

I, like you, want to do this (although not on this bike) and want to keep the aero look. My 93 rear lower fairing though is metal. So, may I suggest you make your undercan WITH lower fairing built in/on in metal. No plastic to burn.

Larry

VFRrider

• Member Contributer

I, like you, want to do this (although not on this bike) and want to keep the aero look. My 93 rear lower fairing though is metal. So, may I suggest you make your undercan WITH lower fairing built in/on in metal. No plastic to burn.

Larry

VFRrider

That muffler is in Canada complete with the headers. I retrieved it from the crashed bike & sent it to Canadian Ken (?) who gave it as a gift to someone who liked the idea. Instead of simply bolting it onto his bike he decided against the idea & it is either wasting its time in his den or has been thrown out.

This should make you lot smile. I have now downscaled to a single 200cc cylinder = 1/4 of a VFR.

4133291425_26b20d50d5_o.jpg

Where I now go. I also do multi day solo trips on very deserted gravel roads in the boondocks.

4221726708_e5dbdeca62_o.jpg

This should make you lot smile. I have now downscaled to a single 200cc cylinder = 1/4 of a VFR.

Where I now go. I also do multi day solo trips on very deserted gravel roads in the boondocks.

Mate you are almost as far removed from your Scarab VFR800 as it's possible to get with that little number. Is it a TW200? I only know them through a shop in Sydney that customises them but I haven't seen many other 200cc bikes with tyres like that.

gallery_2873_162_9831.jpg

I take it you're on www.advrider.com? Some great reports there set in your neck of the woods from MetalJockey, of Eastern Cape.

• Member Contributer

Mate you are almost as far removed from your Scarab VFR800 as it's possible to get with that little number. Is it a TW200? I only know them through a shop in Sydney that customises them but I haven't seen many other 200cc bikes with tyres like that.

gallery_2873_162_9831.jpg

I take it you're on www.advrider.com? Some great reports there set in your neck of the woods from MetalJockey, of Eastern Cape.

I am on ADVRider but only the Jo Moma forum regularly. Yea it is a TW. I also have a BMW F650 Dakar but I much prefer the TW.

Metaljockey! What a civilised man (though he is an animal when drunk I hear). He sets such a high standard locally which means the pricks who want to show off and be antisocial are kept somewhat in check by his example. I have met him. His most well known trip was through Angola: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=10359.0

But his latest was together with his wife and child; check where she took her bike. http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=39411.0

Here's one I did on the TW http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=39398.0

• 3 years later...
  • Member Contributer

If you look at some of the early V4 collectors, for that is what he has built here, they enclose much of the primary header, so what looks like very short primaries are actually much longer ! You could do the same with this setup, thus giving more baffle area to play with. It's a nice first try, but could be improved as far as sound control is concerned.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...