Cheap cruise control

SEBSPEED

Question

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "Vista Cruise" for Honda

http://store.azmusa.com/viscruisform.html

I had to modify it to make it work. the part that fits between the grip and the kill/starter control is too thick so I filed it down. The control is not flat so I selectively filed the Vista Cruise thinner. Then I ground down the lever on the Vista Cruise so it would not hit the tank. So it was a little fiddling around but it works very well.

An o-ring with a large enough width to sit in the groove between your throttle grip and bar weight. Just roll it on the groove, and roll it off onto your bar weight when not needed.

Cant get any more inexpensive then that. Hell, you may have a good sized o-ring already at home. :salesman:

Thanks, guys smile.gif The Vista Cruise looks pretty cool, and it would keep me entertained by reminding me of "That 70's Show" every time I think of the name!! :D

The o-ring sounds like it will work, but I'm a little skeptical about fiddling with it while riding, especially if I was wearing gloves or something. Roll it too far, and it's gone! :o

Yes, but I'm not paying over a hundred bucks for them. That's insane. I could make them at work for less than 20 if I wanted to take the time for that.

Why don't you make up a few dozen or hundred and sell them here for $30. +1.gif

The "Vista Cruise" for Honda

http://store.azmusa.com/viscruisform.html

I had to modify it to make it work.  the part that fits between the grip and the kill/starter control is too thick so I filed it down.  The control is not flat so I selectively filed the Vista Cruise thinner.  Then I ground down the lever on the Vista Cruise so it would not hit the tank.  So it was a little fiddling around but it works very well.

Vista Cruise :thumbsup:

Why don't you make up a few dozen or hundred and sell them here for $30. +1.gif

If someone wants to volunteer and send me one I could hold on to for an indefinate amount of time to take measurements and make a prototype... +1.gif

...that would be a whole different story. But I still need one cheap before then. Looks like Vista Cruise will be the way to go?

Vista Cruise works very well. You'll need to shave some of the lever down because it'll bump into your tank and scatch it whenever you're got the bar at full-lock to the right.

NEP is another type of throttle lock. It's pretty ugly, but it won't bump into you tank.

I've used a Vista Cruise, Throttlemeister, and a Throttle Rocker! [Too many highway miles here in the flatlands...]

The Vista Cruise rocks. It is certain that you are going to have to modify it, but a half-hour with a Dremel will work wonders. It works very well, is easy to engage and disengage and can almost be invisible. Make sure that you order the correct one (for the Honda dual cable) - the Universal isn't.

The Throttlemeister is bling. It works well and the operating mechanism is a piece of engineering art. [OK, you can't actually see it working when it is working, but well done if you just need to know.] The Throttlemeister is more difficult to engage and disengage compared to the thumb-devices. [As an aside, the weight of the Throttlemeister also reduced my grip buzz too. But, there are other ways to do this & the buzz wasn't that bad anyway. The change was noticable, that's all.]

Of course, these are not cruse controls - they're throttle locks. As soon as you use one you immediately understand how often you actually move the throttle.

The Throttle Rocker answers this last need. It allows you to use the palm (heel) of your hand to "load" the throttle thus easing the strain on your wrist. It works well if you are droning at almost a constant throttle opening - as on a highway. They are useless, and potentially dangerous, in a situation where you have to move the throttle through a large range of motion. [useless in that it interferes with your grip on the throttle UNLESS you move it out of the way. Then, it provides no use.] Still nice to have if you are travelling a long way on the concrete and boring. On a personal note: since I increased the diameter of my grips I haven't had the cramping that caused me to use the Throttle Rocker.

Finally, I tried the o-ring method too. It must be me, but I could not get it to work well. If the o-ring was large enough to jam the throttle it was difficult to move in and almost impossible to get out while wearing gloves.

• Member Contributer

I installed an NEP on my RC51 last summer. It's a flimsy piece of garbage basically, but i liked it because it fit fine and has an adjustment for how tight it clamps onto the throttle, and you can then adjust it over time to make up for any wear or how tight you want it. It's cheap, junky...but it does work well. I just ordered one for my VFR this week, about $15.

• Member Contributer

If you go with the NEP version...their "Yamaha" version fits 6th gen VFR's the best without having to be modded at all.

Guest DangerMonkey
An o-ring with a large enough width to sit in the groove between your throttle grip and bar weight. Just roll it on the groove, and roll it off onto your bar weight when not needed.

An alternative is to put the O-ring on the inboard side of the throttle grip (between the grip and the housing that holds the throttle). That way you don't lose the o-ring.

I use the Throttlemeister on the VFR. It's not a lock. It just provides adjustable friction to hold the throttle in place.

I have tried all of the throttle locks and they all leave something to be desired. This past weekend I put a real cruise control on my 2004 VFR. It is the Audiovox CCS-100. I made a vacuum chamber and placed the servo motor behind the front left winker. I piggy backed the control module off of the handle bar mount (on, off, set, cancel, resume, accel, and coast). It works great and works just like a car's cruise control. It disengages when I hit off on the control unit, hit the front or rear break, hit the clutch, or hit the kill switch. This is the only way to really be able to ride in comfort and be able to stretch.

Want more info, Just let me know...I am thinking about putting together a DIY guide if there is enough interest.

Stay safe,

Larry

I have tried all of the throttle locks and they all leave something to be desired. This past weekend I put a real cruise control on my 2004 VFR. It is the Audiovox CCS-100. I made a vacuum chamber and placed the servo motor behind the front left winker. I piggy backed the control module off of the handle bar mount (on, off, set, cancel, resume, accel, and coast). It works great and works just like a car's cruise control. It disengages when I hit off on the control unit, hit the front or rear break, hit the clutch, or hit the kill switch. This is the only way to really be able to ride in comfort and be able to stretch.

Want more info, Just let me know...I am thinking about putting together a DIY guide if there is enough interest.

Stay safe,

Larry

Cool. That'll save me the trouble of writing up a how-to myself. :D

• Member Contributer

I have the same CCS-100 on my 98. It ROCKS. I did the vacuum chamber out of PVC pipe and hid the module behind the right rear seat fairing. (Sorry, no room for this on the '02+). I had a Write-up almost done when my hardrive crashed and I lost everything including pics. If LGK104 will let me work with him I will try to add input to his write-up with 98-01 specific info. PM me '104 if you are interested. All, here is a link to the Cruise Control Unit. Once I get my Bike from the movers I will take some pics and put them in my Gallery.

Cool.  That'll save me the trouble of writing up a how-to myself.  :D

Actually, here are some nifty how-to pages that I used when I installed my Audiovox unit:

FJR1300 Install (Used this one the most)

Miata Installation (Has some good info)

'91 Concours Install (More good info)

If you're feeling lucky, check your local Autozone. They might still have some Audiovox CCS-100 units leftover in their clearance rack. I picked up mine in for only $29.99, but I had to go to four or five different Autozones to find it.

Cant get any more inexpensive then that. Hell, you may have a good sized o-ring already at home. :salesman:

+1.gif

Archived