Cheap cruise control

SEBSPEED

Question

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Member Contributer

I mistakenly bought an item like the throttle rocker, and it was awful. The palm rest wasn't that comfortable, and it made my throttle stick (wouldn't snap back to closed). Vista cruise would be my choice.

• Member Contributer
I've used a Vista Cruise, Throttlemeister, and a Throttle Rocker! [Too many highway miles here in the flatlands...]

The Vista Cruise rocks. It is certain that you are going to have to modify it, but a half-hour with a Dremel will work wonders. It works very well, is easy to engage and disengage and can almost be invisible. Make sure that you order the correct one (for the Honda dual cable) - the Universal isn't.

The Throttlemeister is bling. It works well and the operating mechanism is a piece of engineering art. [OK, you can't actually see it working when it is working, but well done if you just need to know.] The Throttlemeister is more difficult to engage and disengage compared to the thumb-devices. [As an aside, the weight of the Throttlemeister also reduced my grip buzz too. But, there are other ways to do this & the buzz wasn't that bad anyway. The change was noticable, that's all.]

Of course, these are not cruse controls - they're throttle locks. As soon as you use one you immediately understand how often you actually move the throttle.

The Throttle Rocker answers this last need. It allows you to use the palm (heel) of your hand to "load" the throttle thus easing the strain on your wrist. It works well if you are droning at almost a constant throttle opening - as on a highway. They are useless, and potentially dangerous, in a situation where you have to move the throttle through a large range of motion. [useless in that it interferes with your grip on the throttle UNLESS you move it out of the way. Then, it provides no use.] Still nice to have if you are travelling a long way on the concrete and boring. On a personal note: since I increased the diameter of my grips I haven't had the cramping that caused me to use the Throttle Rocker.

Finally, I tried the o-ring method too. It must be me, but I could not get it to work well. If the o-ring was large enough to jam the throttle it was difficult to move in and almost impossible to get out while wearing gloves.

I have fooled around with a lot of stuff and my favorite setup is with a throttler rocker and a throttle lock on kinda tight. I havent got my 5th gen where i want it yet but the throttle lock was set to be kind

of a "deadmans" throttle - the thing stay open where you put it. if you want no gas then you have to shut it down. Sound scary at first, but it just comes down to you positively open the gas and you positively shut it down. Really not that difficult. Open it and cruise or shut it off. I have my Valkyrie set up the same way, and I had my 4th gen setup too. I like it......

BTW - I dont have the same issue with the throttle rocker - I can go WFO at will, I just grab the grip for the performance riding stuff and rest my palm on it for the droning stuff...I like it, it does what its supposed to.

MD

• Member Contributer

I know this is a really old thread, but if there is any interest in the Audiovox install, there is this link:

sPOTO

Archived