6th Gen Exhaust on a 5th Gen

magellan

Lon,

That's all very groovy, but I urge you to get with Jet-Hot and have all your clever fabrication (and maybe your headpipes) coated with their *Sterling* finish.

I just got my gutted cat stock system back from them and it looks absolutley fantasmigorical. Cost was $145 plus custom-protection shipping. They blast it before coating/baking it, BTW, so it's really a nice finish. Not quite chrome, not quite stainless, not quite aluminum, but a combination of all three. Man is it niiiiice.

For you it would look killer, AND you get the added benefit of better radiated heat control for the up pipe and under the seat, and which tends to increase power in some cases due to better scavenging action. For that matter, you could also send your hangar strap, or make a more "official looking" strap and send it. Send the clamps/visible hardware, too. It call all be made to look "factory-custom", should you want to go that route.

Don't get too clever and coat it in their nice black finish...you'll be radiating heat like a Franklin stove and your "Staintunes Model" won't much like that!! :salesman:

I'll be posting pics of my gutting and Jet-Hotting early next week, so you will be able to see how it looks on the head pipes.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
I urge you to get with Jet-Hot and have all your clever fabrication (and maybe your headpipes) coated with their *Sterling* finish.

Let's get a move on with those pics, Tracy! Can't wait to see what you've been up to.

Is Jet Hot simply a product name for something I can have applied locally in Portland, or will I need to ship my pipe? I'd like to give the whole thing the deluxe treatment now that I know I'm sticking with it. My bike may not be a Murphy just yet (Safe-T), but she's definitely a keeper.

As you so tactfully point out, Trace, the mounting strap is kind of the weak link in the overall appearance so I may go ahead and fabricate a mount hidden above the muffler.

Took it for a good ride today and I love the sound and performance. If anything, it breathes a bit better than with the Staintune (I really gutted out the muffler before stuffing it with stainless steel wool), but is no louder.

I too regret the placement of the licence plate, but it's kind of an essential part wink.gif . IMO it's better where it is now than hanging under the muffler.

The FlameProof paint I used on the muffler ought to hold up pretty well; I cured it per instructions and laid it on fairly thick. I like the red so much I can't imagine anything else and I've always got more for touch-up later.

Thanks to all for the support. I'm sure I'll be hacking something else off soon! :goofy: :beer:

Is Jet Hot simply a product name for something I can have applied locally in Portland, or  will I need to ship my pipe?

As you so tactfully point out, Trace, the mounting strap is kind of the weak link in the overall appearance so I may go ahead and fabricate a mount hidden above the muffler.

I like the red so much I can't imagine anything else and I've always got more for touch-up later.

Jet Hot is a proprietary product, ( jet-hot.com ) applied at two shop locations, LA and Pascagoula Mississippi (yeah, they survived Katrina). There is also a company called HPC (High Perf Coatings, in California) and another called Classic Coatings in Wisconsin, I think. This is not simple powdercoating, it's a very high temp ceramic/metallic type of powdercoat that's baked to a fare-thee-well. There is a chance that you may have a local shop that does something similar....I didn't here in Ponte Vedra/Jacksonville, and I looked in the big city of Orlando, too. So, yeah, you box it up and send to Jet-Hot (my headpipes cost $15 for me to send to Mississippi, UPS Ground), they bill your Visa, tacking on the FedEx Ground shipping, which cost $25 or so. And they really box it up. Total turnaround time was....8 days, I think. Mebbe 9. They send it back in enough cardboard and bubble pak to open your own UPS store.

Again, my headpipes cost $145/shipping. They give you a quote when you call or send an e-pic of your stuff. I'll send you a pic of my pipes this Friday when I return from this business trip I'm on right now, before I get 'em on.

A hidden mount would be nice, but an underslung mounting strap is a positive stop that prevents disasters! You could easily make a nice one out of steel strap and it would look GREAT Jet-Hotted. Very factory. Very slick.

As for having to touch up your muff due to rock chips or burning or whatever.....you'll NEVER have to touch up anything Jet-Hotted. I wonder how funky your flat red paint will get when dirty water is slung up against it and the goop bakes on instantly. Cleaning instructions for Jet-Hot? Wipe annually with wet rag.

I'm telling ya...as much work as you've done, it DESERVES the cost and hassle of shipping your stuff to Jet-Hot. And you don't even have to remove your red paint....they blast it to white metal for ya! Makes them nasty welds look goooooooooooooood.......

Just for the Phantom. Thanks for the suggestion. Now how do I keep it this way without making my wife feel excluded? Guess I have to buy her that 636 she wants... :joystick:

You don't muck around :goofy:

With the 'hidden' outlet and no rear pegs, I think this is possibly the cleanest looking VFR rear end I've seen.

If you go with JetHot, and are prepared to pull the whole system off, the rear bank header pipes look pretty amazing when coated. Especially if you leave the upper heat shield off...

http://www.vfrworld.com/images/list/don_wright.jpg

Oh, and tell your wife to forget about the 636 - the new magic number is 675...

http://www.triumph.co.uk/uk/3932.aspx

If you go with JetHot, and are prepared to pull the whole system off, the rear bank header pipes look pretty amazing when coated. Especially if you leave the upper heat shield off...

http://www.vfrworld.com/images/list/don_wright.jpg

And especially inside the black v-shaped middle fairing or wotever it's called, there betwixt the side fairing in front of the motor. Gives that dowdy area some zing, finally. Then you'll find yourself cleaning and polishing all that stuff in there...oil cooler, valve cover, and other bits that are in view and get noticed since the pipes get so much attention.

That pic doesn't do the product justice, but it gives the idea. I have a black Erion pipe, too, and like the black/yellow/alumy look of the whole bike. However, I'm debating about the heat shield...because it....well.....shields heat from yer laage! I made a test run the other day with it off....yikes! The vicious radiant heat, not to mention the hot air coming out of there too, is HOT!! Mebbe the Jet-Hot coating will make it bearable. Believe me, I'd like to see as much of these pipes as possible.

I'll post a pic of my pipes to this thread sometime on Friday for all interested in getting rid of the blah black pipes.

However, I'm debating about the heat shield...because it....well.....shields heat from yer laage!  I made a test run the other day with it off....yikes!  The vicious radiant heat, not to mention the hot air coming out of there too, is HOT!!  Mebbe the Jet-Hot coating will make it bearable.  Believe me, I'd like to see as much of these pipes as possible.

Yep, same goes for the 94-97 VFR if you lose the steel heatshield that bolts to the back of the RH footpeg assembly. But it looks grand without it :goofy:

Not quite as good as an 800, mind you - there's a lot less plumbing on display:

http://www.ozvfr.net/gallery/Phantom-restoration-pics/aba

Looking forward to *your* pics now Trace!

• Member Contributer
Yep, same goes for the 94-97 VFR if you lose the steel heatshield that bolts to the back of the RH footpeg assembly. But it looks grand without it  :goofy:

Not quite as good as an 800, mind you - there's a lot less plumbing on display:

http://www.ozvfr.net/gallery/Phantom-restoration-pics/aba

Looking forward to *your* pics now Trace!

Damn, that yellow 5th gen and charcoal (?) 4th gen are the nicest looking examples of each that I've ever seen. Thanks for keeping the inspiration coming! I think I have a date with Jet-Hot coming up. Thanks for spending my money for me, ya bastidges! :D :P

Damn, that yellow 5th gen and charcoal (?) 4th gen are the nicest looking examples of each that I've ever seen. Thanks for keeping the inspiration coming!

You're welcome.

Not charcoal :lol: I was keen to see how a matte black finish would look, and the bike required repainting anyway, so away I went with 400-grade wet and dry... it looks like hell up close but I got the effect I was after!

Tell you what, though - starting in on the tank was VERY difficult, as it was relatively unmarked. The factory black gloss is a lovely colour, 'coca-cola' in sunlight with nice pearl metallic hues.

The bike was 'mocked up' for that pic:

- CBR1100XX mirror is held in place with wire

- Rear bodywork is missing a piece where it meets the indicator (since repaired)

- NR-style aluminium scoop under bellypan is just silver spraypaint

- Mesh side panels are actually silver-painted flyscreen...

- No brakes or drivechain

But it served its purposes - told me I was on the right track with my mods, and more importantly inspires me to get on with it when the project starts to drag its heels... which is often! To give you an idea, I have an email from Safe-T from 2002 asking me "did you ever finished painting your bike?" :goofy:

I think I have a date with Jet-Hot coming up. Thanks for spending my money for me, ya bastidges!

Just wait 'til you see my pics come Friday. We'll have that wallet smokin'!! I'm thinking $325, give or take $25 or so, from exhaust port to....to....to...er...ahhh...ummm.....license plate. :goofy:

• Member Contributer
Just wait 'til you see my pics come Friday.  We'll have that wallet smokin'!!  I'm thinking $325, give or take $25 or so, from exhaust port to....to....to...er...ahhh...ummm.....license plate.  :beer:

So what you're saying is that I should have the license plate JetHot coated to match, right? :goofy:

And if the system ends up being so beautiful that I have no choice but to make it fully visible from behind, I'm going to be really irritated about hanging the plate off the side off the chainguard like on a H-D chopper, cause it ain't goin' under the muffler!!

Oh, I thought of an invisible means of holding the pipe in place from above that still reaches around the bottom to securely hold the works. I'll do it today and post up later. **Hint: It involves fairy dust and eye of newt**

So what you're saying is that I should have the license plate JetHot coated to match, right?  :goofy:

And if the system ends up being so beautiful that I have no choice but to make it fully visible from behind, I'm going to be really irritated about hanging the plate off the side off the chainguard like on a H-D chopper, cause it ain't goin' under the muffler!!

Welllllll....er....ahhhh....ummm.....isn't there something you can do with the tag? Why can't it go under the muff, way forward, up by the spring? You can hang it off the pipe by welding a little bracket up there (before Jet-Hot!!), then bolting your stainless plate (probably a new one, with different bend angle) to it. You can practically hide it up there, within reason, like the Gixxer punks do. Or put it up near the spring, maybe? (don't know how much room you now have under there) My humble opinion is that you're hiding the coolest feature of your work (which is outlets poking out from under the seat) with a tag. I'd rather see it on a tidy little bracket off the right-side passenger footpeg apparatus than where it is, but way forward under the muff would be best. Seriously. And remember, you can trim about 3/8 inch off each side of the tag, maybe more, without being "illegal", which greatly reduces the visuals of it.

Trust me...when you Jet that muff, you're NOT gonna want a tag anywhere near it.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Uhhhh, taking off those right side peg heat shields will cause right side hot foot syndrome, specially during summer season rides. Not fun. As it is, my right boot sometimes gets very hot (specially in stop and go traffic) even with the heat shield on.

But it does look really nice without it though!

Beck

95 VFR

Uhhhh, taking off those right side peg heat shields will cause right side hot foot syndrome, specially during summer season rides. Not fun. As it is, my right boot sometimes gets very hot (specially in stop and go traffic) even with the heat shield on.

But it does look really nice without it though!

Yeah, those headpipes, right there off the cylinder, are like twin roasting elements. And that's too bad as I'd really like to remove the shield (and brackets) to see the Jet coating. There is a slight chance that the coating will live up to it's reputation of containing "underhood" heat, but I can't imagine it will be enough to keep the right foot/ankle/laaaaaaage area from becoming BBQ'd.

• Member Contributer

I'll definitely look at alternate plate locations, but there isn't near as much room under a VFR as under the "Bambi in rut, tail-in-the-air" Rs and CBRs of the world.

As for JetHotting the whole system, I'm leery of removing the right side head pipe heat shield if it means roasted ankle syndrome, although some snaky custom JetHot Sterling heat shields to match the shape of the head pipes would be worth every minute of fab-time. Mmmmmm :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Ceramic coating is nice, and it actually keeps your header from radiating as much heat

gallery_654_61_18719.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Right side close up showing hi-mount Staintune, ceramic coat

gallery_654_61_12059.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Wouldn't be complete without an Ohlins rear shock, eh ?

I'll definitely look at alternate plate locations, but there isn't near as much room under a VFR as under the "Bambi in rut, tail-in-the-air" Rs and CBRs of the world.?

As for JetHotting the whole system, I'm leery of removing the right side head pipe heat shield if it means roasted ankle syndrome, although some snaky custom JetHot Sterling heat shields to match the shape of the head pipes would be worth every minute of fab-time. Mmmmmm? :goofy:

"Bambi in rut"---good one! I've always wondered about the "tail-in-air' look....Bambi it is!!

Heat shield--you don't have to remove it, since the really nice portion of the pipes is the part that snakes around down near the centerstand, and then there's the nice shiny gutted cat instead of the dark, heat-shielded cat box. The easy cleaning of that cat-area, due to Jet coating, is something I'm gonna love.

And your idea about heat shields for the head pipes? Veeery interesting. Might work, and maybe they could hide the two clamps (although mine are all Jetted, too and look great.)

Pics tomorrow.

• Member Contributer
"Bambi in rut"---good one!? I've always wondered about the "tail-in-air' look....Bambi it is!!

Heat shield--you don't have to remove it, since the really nice portion of the pipes is the part that snakes around down near the centerstand, and then there's the nice shiny gutted cat instead of the dark, heat-shielded cat box.? The easy cleaning of that cat-area, due to Jet coating, is something I'm gonna love.

And your idea about heat shields for the head pipes?? Veeery interesting.? Might work, and maybe they could hide the two clamps (although mine are all Jetted, too and look great.)

Pics tomorrow.

:D Bikes with that look just seem too damned perky. But at least they have room for a license plate way under the seat. I took my plate off and moved it around, playing with ideas, but there really isn't room anywhere toward the front of the undertray for a reasonably clear view of the plate; I'd draw unwanted attention from the popo if I tried. Nevertheless, as a concession to you guys who just have to see the back of the muffler, I raised the mounting angle of the plate so its bottom edge is about 3/4" higher than before. You can now see much more of the muffler's rear and the plate is still easily readable. I'm happy with it, so there... :P

I also removed the understrap completely. All I had to do was drill a hole in the top of the decorative chrome endcap, bolt on a strap, run it through the undertray, and attach it using the bolt that holds the seat latch to the subframe crossbrace. I won't even bother to use up drive space with a picture because it looks like it did before but now without the under-strap. Even cleaner than before and just as firmly located.

Now if JetHot will just respond to my inquiry... Jeez, it's been a whole 16 hours now. Where's the foot-tapping emoticon?

Edited by magellan

• Member Contributer
Ceramic coating is nice, and it actually keeps your header from radiating as much heat

You just had to bring Murphy into this, didn't you? (We're not worthy... we're not worthy... *bowing*)

You know, Safe-T, my sisters live in Calgary and I intend to ride up there next summer. :beer: We may have to fab up an underseat exhaust for Murphy while I'm there and make him truly perfect... :goofy:

• Member Contributer
You know, Safe-T, my sisters live in Calgary and I intend to ride up there next summer.  :goofy:

Let me know when you are going to be there - I would love to see your bike in person :thumbsup:

If I can find an MV Agusta exhaust for a decent price I think I can match it up with the sixth gen's upswept bend...

• Member Contributer
Let me know when you are going to be there - I would love to see your bike in person  :thumbsup:

If I can find an MV Agusta exhaust for a decent price I think I can match it up with the sixth gen's upswept bend...

Sure will.

As far as the MV Augusta exhaust, which of their bikes would you want the pipes from? It looks like several of them might fit a 6th gen, but I doubt any would fit under Murphy. Do you have an idea up your sleeve, or just a 6th gen I don't know about?

• Member Contributer
As far as the MV Augusta exhaust, which of their bikes would you want the pipes from?

No 6G up my sleeve :D Any MV exhaust for the F4 series should work - I still have to get some measurements but it's looking like a possibility.

Here's a few shots of my Jet-Hotted pipes. I'm gonna install them right now (even though it's PERFECT weather here in Ponte Vedra Beach...should be riding!)

I'll make a new "Check *This* Out" post showing details of the cutting and gutting, and some intalled bling bling pics in a day or two.

Notice where the O2's were....now have metic plugs in 'em from the auto parts emporium..basically replacement oil drain plugs for a few bucks.

Jet-Hot secures the flanges with wire so they stay in a proper location for best appearance during the coating process. I think they've done this sort of thing before! :goofy:

gallery_4707_678_207733.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Gutted Cat, Jet-Hot Coated

gallery_4707_678_576114.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Green stickers are inspection sign-off for each piece

gallery_4707_678_498171.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Closeup of gutted cat-bottom: removed, gutted, rewelded