6th Gen Exhaust on a 5th Gen

magellan

• Member Contributer

Now that's my idea of bling, Trace! Functional beauty. Can't wait to see it installed.

BR, that pipe ought to flow a heck of a lot more than the flattened stock pipe. Have fun and let us see the results!

I'm already thinking ahead to the next mods. Looks like I'll send the whole exhaust system to JetHot after fabbing up and installing heat shields for the rear head-pipes; remove the front turn signal pods and go with LED units on the mirrors; swap out my aluminum chainguard for an unpainted CF hugger/guard; polish and red-anodize the swingarm and get the same rear sprocket as ScootR with a chrome EK. With a short, dark-tinted windscreen, it ought to look about as sporty as it can get without an RC45 paint scheme.

That'll take care of appearance; a PCIII and shift light should finish up the engine performance mods (I think a big-bore kit is overkill until we see what Honda has to offer for gen 7). That ought to get me through winter, and next summer I'll look at suspension swaps and a good luggage system (yes, it still has to be the do-all bike...).

That ought to get me through winter, and next summer I'll look at suspension swaps and a good luggage system (yes, it still has to be the do-all bike...).

You're a feararkin' nut! :P

I should mention that there are BIG welds inside the stock head pipes, right where the flange/ring is....that is, BIG welds in YOUR pipes....mine are ported to "almost not there" condition. The welds are beautifully done, but they reduce inside pipe diameter by 3/16 - 1/4 inch at that particular point. So that, plus no cat-guts, should be "better" than stock flow rates, but prolly a bit off the mark of true 4-1 headers. If I thought I could find 'em, I'da waited and Jetted those!!

So, do you like that strange satin/chrome/alumy/stainlessy finish? And......best of allllllll...........never turns "Harley Blue".

BTW, I have the EK chrome chain...love it....and my "nuts" on the master link.

• Member Contributer
You're a feararkin' nut!  :P

I should mention that there are BIG welds inside the stock head pipes, right where the flange/ring is....that is, BIG welds in YOUR pipes....mine are ported to "almost not there" condition.  The welds are beautifully done, but they reduce inside pipe diameter by 3/16 - 1/4 inch at that particular point.  So that, plus no cat-guts, should be "better" than stock flow rates, but prolly a bit off the mark of true 4-1 headers.  If I thought I could find 'em, I'da waited and Jetted those!!

So, do you like that strange satin/chrome/alumy/stainlessy finish? And......best of allllllll...........never turns "Harley Blue".

BTW, I have the EK chrome chain...love it....and my "nuts" on the master link.

Thanks, uh, I think :D .

I remember you mentioning those welds and will definitely be porting them out. And I love the Sterling finish. Can't wait to see the whole thing dressed out from stem to stern. I'll make as much of it visible as I can.

Now how do I hide all this from my loving, supportive wife who also wants nice things???

Now how do I hide all this from my loving, supportive wife who also wants nice things???

Uh.....might I suggest sending her to sunny Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida for a few weeks of vacation while you do the Jet-Hot swapperoo? I'll see that she gets plenty of time on the back of a VFR! :beer: (oops, sorry...sorry!! :goofy: )

Anyway, here'a a "halfway there" pic.

gallery_4707_678_1131925.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Looks good in the sunlight!

• Member Contributer
Uh.....might I suggest sending her to sunny Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida for a few weeks of vacation while you do the Jet-Hot swapperoo?  I'll see that she gets plenty of time on the back of a VFR! 

She says, "Ah, it's too bad he doesn't live on Marathon Key or we might have a deal."

Oh well, your loss... wink.gif .

Those pipes look good. You should attach 'em to something. :thumbsup:

Oh well, your loss...?  wink.gif

Those pipes look good. You should attach 'em to something.?

Yeah...I know....I never get the girrrllll...... sad.gif

But I now have pipes that are attached to something! :thumbsup:

gallery_4707_678_496451.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Bling bling down below!

• Member Contributer
Yeah...I know....I never get the girrrllll......  sad.gif

But I now have pipes that are attached to something!  :thumbsup:

Bling bling down below!

Ooooohh, aaaaahh, I'd take the pipes over the gir.... OWW, stop hitting me! Uh, I have to go now... :o

WOW looks great . How much to have them jet coated btw?

It cost me:

$15 to ship to Pascagoula Mississippi.

$145 for the actual blasting, coating, etc.

$27 for them to shjp 'em back, in a real nice box, loads of bubble pak, wrapped all careful, etc.

Note: They ship FedEx Ground, Signature REQUIRED, so.....if that means you have nobody at home during the day, chose your return address accordingly! I chased several friggin' FedEx trucks around town on the designated day of delivery,.....eventualy found the right one.....in the parking lot of my office complex after I had given up and gone back to work!! :D I guess you can ask them to NOT do the signature thing.

My stock 2000 exhaust is now for sale. I paid a VFRD member $225 for his, so I could do this [plus the week-long gutting & welding procedure, which I'll post a how-to for in a few days] without having my bike out of action. I'll sell my stock pipes for $150, plus shipping (figger $20ish), and I'll send them in the killer Jet-Hot box that my coated set came in. Mebbe J-H will cut you a little break in their shipping cost if you use their box. Then, you can sell your ugly black rusty stockers to ANOTHER VFRD member....use the same box....and we have a regular system working!! :goofy: In fact, they're already boxed up, waiting for a buyer.

• Member Contributer
Yeah...I know....I never get the girrrllll......  sad.gif

But I now have pipes that are attached to something!  :thumbsup:

Bling bling down below!

Check out vfr800canuck's nickel plated heat shield. More bling in the same area.

• Member Contributer

Very nice. Picture the shield gone with the pipes exposed (as in this pic) and with snaky heat shields (mentioned here earlier) cut to fit the exposed pipes and JetHotted to match.

gallery_5128_669_21829.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Badass 4th Gen

That's the direction I'm heading. BTW, Tracy, your offer is generous and I hope someone takes you up on it, but I'll just send mine in and live with the downtime (getting cold and wet here).

Picture the shield gone with the pipes exposed (as in this pic) and with  snaky heat shields (mentioned here earlier) cut to fit the exposed pipes and JetHotted to match.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the area behind the right side heat shield. The joints and clamps aren't all that purty (even when Jetted) and the arse end of the motor is a gravel collector. I sat back and carefully "looked" when I was putting my pipes on today, as I hated to hide $50 worth of the Jet-Hot cost behind a shield....but I prefer the less busy, cleaner look of the nice, charcol colored shield.

But the pipes DO look nice inside the black center fairing up front. Make sure you take little metal polish to the oil cooler lines....they clean right up and complement the pipes.

• Member Contributer
Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the area behind the right side heat shield.  The joints and clamps aren't all that purty (even when Jetted) and the arse end of the motor is a gravel collector.  I sat back and carefully "looked" when I was putting my pipes on today, as I hated to hide $50 worth of the Jet-Hot cost behind a shield....but I prefer the less busy, cleaner look of the nice, charcol colored shield. 

But the pipes DO look nice inside the black center fairing up front.  Make sure you take little metal polish to the oil cooler lines....they clean right up and complement the pipes.

I'm thinking that a proper hugger will prevent gravel collection, and the clamps and such could ealsily be hidden behind smaller heat shields.

I'm thinking that a proper hugger will prevent gravel collection, and the clamps and such could ealsily be hidden behind smaller heat shields.

Ah, yes. Good point...forgot about shields.

But, what a shield it must be! Plan on a shield that crosses the gap at the clamps....but must come apart to allow dis/assembly...won't vibrate loose....has to keep your ankle from cooking......lots of things to consider with these shields....not the least of which is tight quarters and tight bends. But...if you can do it, it would be nice!

I'm too lazy...it's the Honda shield for me!

• Member Contributer

I think the real purpose of the heat shield is to protect the rear brake master cylinder & the brake fluid in there. I would check how hot it gets if you do remove the heat shield. I appreciate that Jet Hot reduces heat radiation.

Those Jet Hotted pipes look lovely.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
Very interesting.  Has the performance of the bike been comprimised in any way?

It's just a hair faster due to the slightly wider-open exhaust, and I have no issues with stumbling or surging under any load/rpm. Couldn't be happier. :goofy:

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Just a little update: I removed the center stand and cleaned all the crud out from behind where the right-side heat-shield was. I can hardly wait to get the exhaust JetHotted, get the turn signal pods removed, and fit a stock windscreen (at least for local riding and track days). I also have an idea involving a small rear fender attached to the body instead of the swingarm, to keep crap off the shock and back of the engine. It'll all happen in time. Here are a few new pics:

gallery_5128_669_233374.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Can't Wait to JetHot This

gallery_5128_669_349923.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

No Center Stand, No Clutter

gallery_5128_669_128582.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Getting Better...

gallery_5128_669_275487.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

What Exhaust?

gallery_5128_669_148082.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

All the Modding It Needed.JPG

gallery_5128_669_217749.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Skinny Runway Model

You know, I also noticed my right side feeler peg was missing the other day after I got back from a ride. Can't have one side looking wierder than the other! So I grabbed a 12mm wrench, took off the left side hero blob and voila! Both sides look normal now! smile.gif

Chris

• Member Contributer
Very smooth, Magellan.

Two suggestions:

1. Lose the left peg feeler (or find the right-hand one)

2. Lube the chain

: )

You're way too perceptive, Phantom! I knew there was something else I needed to do the other day. The feeler that's on there is going into the drawer with a couple others I've got. I lubed the chain right after the pics were taken, but I need a new one badly anyway. It's on the list.... :D