Need some input on insurance

• Member Contributer

Long story short, due to my temporary license suspension because of my seizure and then brain surgery afterward and even though my license was reinstated, AAA is cancelling my insurance coverage.

When I spoke with AAA, they have a "blanket" policy of no insurance if license was suspended and/or even reinstated. Nor are you eligible to return to their coverage for at least 36 months! So much for being a member for 27 years huh? Then talking to another service rep, who is there to help find you coverage, it's essentially a different branch of AAA, i.e. insurance partners, so not their main coverage group. When I mentioned I have mostly motorcycles, he said I would have to have separate policies and he then wasn't sure if they could do motorcycles. I then told him, that I will not be using them for insurance anymore and will go to a different insurance agency. This includes my wife as well, as the letter said she could retain the insurance policy but I could not be covered. All of this seems two sided to me, so not going to be dealing with them anymore.

Whew! All that said, the reason for this post, I just wanted to see from the US riders, who they are insured with and whether they have any good or bad things to report. Even at that, not sure how the license suspension will affect getting new coverage. Moral of the story, don't have seizures and don't have brain surgery, they'll only punish you for it! 😉

Cheers,

D

• Member Contributer

At a base level, I have a Broad Form Liability Policy thru Dairyland that makes me legal for any bike I'm on, whether I own it or not.

Above that I insure some bikes thru Allstate.  They also have my cars and house, but the bikes are a separate policy from Auto.  I can negotiate a value with them that includes custom parts and accessories, and covers all of our gear.

Everyone will have a story and these companies are still for profit, but for the most part Allstate has been decent to deal with when problems arise.

When I worked at the Honda Shop, dealing with Progressive was the worst.  But that was 30 years ago, so that review is pretty much irrelevant now.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

because of my seizure ... AAA is cancelling my insurance coverage.

Another problem you may encounter is getting travel medical insurance. Ten or so years ago a friend had a crash that resulted in cognitive impairment. Subsequently that was one of the conditions for which his travel medical plan wouldn't get renewed. Granted, this is in Canada but definitely worth checking before your next trip. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, Lorne said:

Another problem you may encounter is getting travel medical insurance. Ten or so years ago a friend had a crash that resulted in cognitive impairment. Subsequently that was one of the conditions for which his travel medical plan wouldn't get renewed. Granted, this is in Canada but definitely worth checking before your next trip. 

Well I flew to Hawaii for my new job orientation, no hiccups there, so I'll keep crossing my fingers. Thanks

• Member Contributer

Try an insurance broker. For decades I was with State Farm but with our last house purchase, the real estate agent suggested going with a broker.  The broker provided home/auto insurance quotes far lower than any of the big name insurance companies with the new company having a similar AM Best rating as State Farm. Though for my motorbikes, Progressive had the best deal. Good luck!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I am with Progressive now for 4 years,  the process to get coverage was very easy. I do not remember if there was a question about DL suspension. Cannot comment on claims as I did not have any (knock on wood!)

Good Luck to you! 

• Like 1