Looking at '98 VFR 800fi Purchase - Suggestions?

Hrider

I've been doing research on these legendary bikes, and am pretty impressed by online reviews and testimonials. I'm currently considering a '98 VFR 800fi that has a little over 30K on the odometer and is pretty much stock. Are there any issues to look out for on these fifth gen models?

• Member Contributer

They are fundamentally sound but with a couple of potential weak spots that can cause issues but are reasonably cheap to resolve. The regulator/rectifier can fail and lead to either under or overcharging the battery. Some of this can be directly due to the 3-pin connector between the RR and alternator getting wet, corroding, forming high resistance, getting hot and then melting. Removing the connector and joining the wires with crimp splices or solder plus weatherproofing stops all that (but the RR can still fail). The thermostats fail (usually open) which is no big deal but painful to replace as it lives under the throttle bodies. The linked brakes work well but are unforgiving of maintenance, and the secondary master cylinder is exposed to road crud and can seize, causing a locked rear brake. 

Check your 30k bike has been regularly used; otherwise you can get rust on the fork stanchions and even rust inside the tank (which would definitely put me off). 

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

Just what Terry said....

The mirror stems will be the "condom" version; the 00+ stalks look nicer'.

Fit a small voltmeter, so you can see if the R/R starts acting up.

And oh yes.....  the nick name for the 5th gen is "Dumbo Ears" due to the front indicator "design". 😇

And lastly......

Red "NACA's" are the best..... :laugh:

IMG_0403.thumb.jpg.cfa3848707b5dabd3eb17e856e74290d.jpg

• Member Contributer

DeutschTo add to Terry's comments, the other weak point of VFR electrics is the stator. It is probably worth inspecting it after buying, and it'd make sense to do so whilst changing the engine oil & filter.

I'd be more inclined to replace any dodgy connectors with ones from Deutsch

Other than that, I'd only suggest giving the bike a thorough going over to determine the health of things like fork seals, chain & sprockets, tires, brake rotors & pads, steering head bearings. Cleaning and lubing the brake & clutch levers, and the throttle tube make any bike feel better. After all, it is 25 years old. If you have a work space and are handy with tools, changing the fork oil isn't too difficult.

Good luck.

• Member Contributer

I own a '98 and they are fairly bulletproof. once you take care of the charging system.

If the previous owner kept up with it and the bike was well loved... go for it.  

Of course a 25 year old motorcycle will always have things to watch out for. 

BTW -- what Terry said... 

• Member Contributer
36 minutes ago, phoenix655 said:

As everyone else has said they're mostly bulletproof, but I'd only suggest buying a 25 year old motorcycle if you're comfortable working on it yourself or plan on giving lots of money to your mechanic.

Agree with that, most members here are fairly proficient with wrenching on motorcycles. 

If you have a question on how to fix something, the answer is on this forum. 

This is a great tech group and the best forum on motorcycles in general. 

• Like 1

The 2000 I bought earlier this year had sat for 2+ years and bought knowing the 50/50 chance of it being OK or some issue(s). not

Once I did the services and necessary upgrades and got it running, that's when it's rattle issue revealed itself. 

While I would really like to figure it out and get it sorted, I'm just not at the point of liking it that much to take the time, energy and effort to drop the engine.

Meaning behind all my blab is be ready to "live" with the traits and characteristics of the mighty VFR. These are truely special bikes with a following like no other motorbike.