Newbee from Vancouver Island BC

Trevorf

Hi guys and gals

I have joined here because I am on the hunt for a VFR1200F

I recently bought a Honda ST1100 with 140,000kms on it to ride to Ontario (5000kms) to sell to my cousin...I have never rode a V4 before and fell in love....so much so that I've decided to sell my 2022 Suzuki GSXS1000GT...I have had it just over a year and have put 32,000kms on it....

I have always thought the VFR1200F was an awesome bike.

If anyone knows of one for sale in Canada, I would appreciate it...

In my stable

The 2022 GSXS1000GT+

2020 DR650

2012 BMW K1300R Carbon Fibre SE

1983 Suzuki GS750e

1982 Suzuki GS1100e

1980 Suzuki GS1000S (Wes Cooley)

1980 Suzuki GS750e

Yes, I like Suzuki's ....lol

10FDF21C-ADEA-4718-A7F0-04F8BA5C8D77.jpe

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum from northern Ohio!  Also, great fleet you have there!  👍

I'm curious what would lead you to part with the GSXS1000GT+ so soon.  I've looked at these, thinking it would make a nice sport-tourer to replace my old 6th gen. VFR I sold a few years ago.

• Member Contributer

I have the same question. I'm a longtime Suzuki hater, but people seem to love those. 

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond.

As long as it has 2 wjeels, I'm in! Not picky on brand here....

Would love a 750 Slabby....

Suzuki GSX-R750 Slabside - Classic Crush - Motorcycle Blog

• Like 2

On 8/9/2023 at 5:51 AM, TimC said:

Welcome to the forum from northern Ohio!  Also, great fleet you have there!  👍

I'm curious what would lead you to part with the GSXS1000GT+ so soon.  I've looked at these, thinking it would make a nice sport-tourer to replace my old 6th gen. VFR I sold a few years ago.

Well....I wanted the GT badly....in fact I was the first to order and take delivery of one in Canada.....I have put 32,000kms on it in one year. So I for sure know the bike...lol

The cam chain has a rattle for about 10 seconds on hot starts.....almost everyone complains about it but Suzuki has not made an official statement on issue yet. Which really annoys me....the bike has a vibration at 5000rpm or 120kmph...which is a spot you ride at a lot....not just my bike but everyone's. 

It doesn't feel solid or planted to me at high speeds, 

It took 4 months to get a new air filter from Suzuki.....the paint seems like they just put enough on it to colour it...in fact the paint on the front rim is already peeling. 

And the big one for me is that it lacks character or soul. Sure it's a good reliable bike...but it doesn't speak to me the same way my k1300r does. 

Now I know it may be unfair to compare it to my bmw...but I like quality. My k1300r has 105,000kms on it now and it looks and runs like the day I rode it off the showroom floor. 

I sold the bike two days ago.....took a pretty good hit on it....and that is another reason for selling it is because they depreciate so fast. 

My bmw has probably maxed out now as far as being worth any less....I can get a vfr1200 for around 8k....and because the bike is so rare it's not likely to ever be worth less than that...and I like that. 

Maybe I'm too fussy....but I want bikes in my garage with some character.  🙂

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the forum Trevor.

I bought a red 2010 VFR1200F as soon as it became available. Owned it for seven years, what a great bike. Never regretted my decision. I sold it to buy a Multistrada just to get modern electronics that the VFR didn't have, don't regret that decision either!

VFR1200 PROS:

Best brakes I have ever experienced on a bike I have owned, better than the Brembos on my Ducati.

What a fantastic motor, just endless pulling power and a sweet sound.

For me pretty much a perfect sport touring bike, just eats up the miles.

CONS:

Kinda heavy, pushing 600lbs.

Power is restricted a bit in the first two gears by Honda but there's an easy fix.

Removing the plastic and putting it back on is something I am very happy to never have to do again.

Love all those Suzuki's! My first bike riding legally on the street was a Suzuki, and I rode a kinda beat up GS400 in my college days. And I have always been a Kevin Schwantz fan.

Let us know when you find it. My 2010 VFR:

IMG_2465.JPG

• Like 1

19 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

Welcome to the forum Trevor.

I bought a red 2010 VFR1200F as soon as it became available. Owned it for seven years, what a great bike. Never regretted my decision. I sold it to buy a Multistrada just to get modern electronics that the VFR didn't have, don't regret that decision either!

VFR1200 PROS:

Best brakes I have ever experienced on a bike I have owned, better than the Brembos on my Ducati.

What a fantastic motor, just endless pulling power and a sweet sound.

For me pretty much a perfect sport touring bike, just eats up the miles.

CONS:

Kinda heavy, pushing 600lbs.

Power is restricted a bit in the first two gears by Honda but there's an easy fix.

Removing the plastic and putting it back on is something I am very happy to never have to do again.

Love all those Suzuki's! My first bike riding legally on the street was a Suzuki, and I rode a kinda beat up GS400 in my college days. And I have always been a Kevin Schwantz fan.

Let us know when you find it. My 2010 VFR:

IMG_2465.JPG

Thanks for your reply....I have found wone about 3000kms away from me....I would fly and ride home. 2010 with 20,000kms (12,000 miles) checks most of the boxes for me...

Honda bags and top case and tank bag, heated grips, one owner, maintained very well by a fussy owner, 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 1:04 PM, Trevorf said:

Maybe I'm too fussy....but I want bikes in my garage with some character.  🙂

I don't think that's fussy at all.  When I was shopping for a bike to replace my VFR, it had to have character.  I ended up with a BMW R nineT Pure, which has tons of character in my opinion.

Thanks for that information on the Suzuki, and good luck with your search for a VFR1200!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well I got the bike! 2010 one owner bike. Huge list of stuff done to it. 20,000kms (12,000 miles)

I decided to have it shipped to me instead of doing as fly and ride home...glad I did...as I had two tire valves fail in the first week.

I have converted the clip ons to the LSL bar kit....much more comfortable for me

His list

IMG_9775.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

IMG_0139.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

IMG_0145.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

IMG_9760.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

IMG_9872.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

IMG_9875.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1