Center stand and mid pipe hitting ground

Clintonjl

Hi, has anybody had any issues with ground clearance? (5th gen)
When I’ve got a pillion, I’m sometimes scraping the ground with the mid pipe  and Center stand on right handers. (It’s not as if I’m getting my knee down 😂). 
I did have a new rear shock fitted, custom sprung to me and my Mrs weight, but still happens occasionally. I also replaced the headers with delkevic ones, which do seem to stick out from the low left fairing slightly. 
Any help/suggestions, much appreciated. 
many thanks 

clint 

• Member Contributer

What are the details of the shock? OEM? Aftermarket and proper model for the bike?

Spring weight and length? 

How much sag, bike, rider, rider & passenger?

i've never touched down anything on my '98, two up, on the track, knee down. 

It’s a bitubo monoshock, I requested it to be custom sprung to 130kg which is our combined weight and then maybe add a little for luggage. It has sticker on the spring saying 170. I assume this means 170kg? 

10 minutes ago, Clintonjl said:

It’s a bitubo monoshock, I requested it to be custom sprung to 130kg which is our combined weight and then maybe add a little for luggage. It has sticker on the spring saying 170. I assume this means 170kg? 

Just google product code on the box, and does say specific for 1998-2002 vfr800.  (Bitubo h0091xze01)

• Member Contributer

Bmart had problems recently with a Bitubo shock although different issues than yours but may indicate manufacturing issues.

I also have a 5th gen, and drag both of those areas in the same conditions you’ve described. I have the Ohlins shock installed out back which is lifted an additional .75” at the top shock mount. I pay attention to chain length and rear hub positioning as it affects rear ride height, although this changes with wear. The Ohlins has a preload adjuster and I do max this out for passenger riding.

I ended up using a file and softened the edges on the lowest part of the center stand where it drags. The right side is definitely more worn than the left.

9576870A-6951-4E5F-A6C1-4FF34750DE09.thumb.jpeg.29c6518f3c5055392d61caff0aa4fa60.jpeg

I don’t know when I’ll wear a hole though the stock 5th gen headers… I am in the group buy for the VFRD headers and hoping I won’t be touching down in the same spot.

F557FCEC-C5A3-4FB3-8972-E3B76BFE1397.thumb.jpeg.dbc4d7abfd3fea61e230c8b12292114f.jpeg

I am riding very quick to make this touchdown happen… To me it’s a cue to start hanging off a bit more to decrease the lean angle… add a bit more throttle and the bike really seems to like it. Decrease the pace and that solves it too. I’ve considered removing the centerstand but I’ve also had a flat with this bike where it would not stand on the side stand. The centerstand was the only way to keep bike upright waiting for a tow. 

Anyway, just sharing that it isn’t just you.

• Member Contributer

Have you checked to see what position the linkage triangles are in? There's an arrow on the plates that should be pointing forwards, however I know that some have lowered their VFR by rotating these triangles to a different position. The PO of my VFR was a shorter lady and she had the triangles turned, the Nitron shock was at its shortest length and the forks were slid through by 10mm. I found it very easy to hit the centrestand in that configuration. 

If you have adjustable compression damping, turning this up can reduce the shock compression on bumps and help a little with clearance. 

9 hours ago, Terry said:

Have you checked to see what position the linkage triangles are in? There's an arrow on the plates that should be pointing forwards, however I know that some have lowered their VFR by rotating these triangles to a different position. The PO of my VFR was a shorter lady and she had the triangles turned, the Nitron shock was at its shortest length and the forks were slid through by 10mm. I found it very easy to hit the centrestand in that configuration. 

If you have adjustable compression damping, turning this up can reduce the shock compression on bumps and help a little with clearance. 

Interesting, I’ll have a look at the triangles later. The shock has preload and rebound adjustments. 
Many thanks for your suggestions. 

• Member Contributer

You might also check where the swinger eccentric is clocked, 'cause if it is up around 12 o'clock that'll cost you an inch or more of ground clearance.

Archived