Strange Whining noise starting soon after starting cold

dinoslav

Hi everyone,

I own a 2002 VFR800 (non ABS) which I bought new on 2003.

About a month ago a strange noise started coming from the motor, when the coolant temperature reaches 58°C. After that it fades out and when the bike reaches running temperature it's completely gone. The noise is there regardless if the bike is in neutral or in gear and doesn't go away when pulling the clutch in. The pitch or intensity seems to be irrelevant of RPM.

The coolant and oil (oil filter too) were changed 3000Km ago.

Anyone heard that noise, or have any idea what might be the source?

This is the sound:

(The bike is already running for about a minute and a half and at this point it has reached 58°C)

Any ideas would be appreciated! 

Thanx 😀

• Member Contributer

Do you have the Service Manual? You can download it from this forum.

Try running the engine from cold with the tank in the raised maintenance position, you might be able to identify where the noise is coming from.

Try unplugging the Pair Control Valve electrical connector, see if that has an effect. Have a good look under the tank area for any disconnected hoses. Also try unplugging the electrical connector to the Variable Air Intake Control Valve Solenoid (air flapper system). Both of these valves can make strange noises if faulty.

Check all vacuum hoses are good, no cracks, and properly connected from source to destination. You will at least need to remove the Airbox to check these.

The sound is also similar to a relay chattering/buzzing. Is there any issue with your headlights and is the sound noticeable around the rear of the instrument panel?

Is your wiring completely standard? Have you added any accessories?

Thank you for your input! I have already downloaded the service manual from this forum.

I removed both side panels today and I think the sound comes from the lower front side of the engine, where the starter motor and the oil filter are. Could it be a noisy oil filter? Is there such a thing? 😀

I'm planning to do an oil change very soon and also change the oil filter as a precaution. They both have about 3000 Km.

Unfortunately I don't have a closed garage, so I do everything outside and today it's raining here in Athens, hopefully tomorrow I will be able to remove the airbox and check all that you suggested also.  From a quick glace to all that is visible, I didn't see any loose hoses or any leaks. The coolant level is normal on the radiator, maybe 3 or 4 cm lower than the top.

The bike doesn't have any modifications, electrical or mechanical and no accessories of any kind.

The sound is there even when the headlights are off and when they are on, they work perfectly. In general I haven't noticed any other symptoms, electrical or mechanical, the bike runs very well. 

Another symptom that I noticed the last couple of days though is that when starting cold and after sitting overnight the idle speed doesn't jump immediately to 2000 rpm, it starts low and rises to 2000 rpm after about half a minute. When the weather allows it I will also check the fast idle wax unit for normal operation. 

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, dinoslav said:

Could it be a noisy oil filter? Is there such a thing? 😀

I'm planning to do an oil change very soon and also change the oil filter as a precaution. They both have about 3000 Km.

Guess that could be possible, either a faulty filter or the wrong type fitted!

Try using a long screwdriver the tip touching the filter and your ear against the other end, do you hear the noise? 

Changing the oil and filter is always a good place to start.

• Member Contributer

Sorry - I can't help myself . . .  for me the "strange whining noise when starting cold" is the GF complaining that I ride too much.  :pissed:  Ignore me now and back to topic . . . LOL! 

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, DannoXYZ said:

fork's bent

Hey Danno what have you been drinking?

How would that effect a temperature sensitive engine noise while the bike is stationary? Or am I completely missing something here?:wacko:

I used the screwdriver trick and the noise was clearly coming from the oil filter. I changed the oil and the filter as well and the noise seems to be gone (for now). Hopefully it won't come back on the next cold start! 😀

Update coming soon! 😀

Very possible, it was not an original filter, possibly low quality that the mechanic installed in the previous change, i used a genuine Honda this time, as I've always done in the past!

Thank you for the link!

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, dinoslav said:

I used the screwdriver trick and the noise was clearly coming from the oil filter. I changed the oil and the filter as well and the noise seems to be gone (for now). Hopefully it won't come back on the next cold start! 😀

Update coming soon! 😀

Good news. Any chance the old filter had a brand name and part number? Curious to know what it was.

14 hours ago, Grum said:

Good news. Any chance the old filter had a brand name and part number? Curious to know what it was.

It was an unbranded filter, it was my mistake letting the mechanic install it and not insisting on an original one!

BTW the noise wasn't there this morning after sitting all night. Hopefully I won't hear it again 😀 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, dinoslav said:

Hopefully I won't hear it again

Quoting men about their ex wives...nice touch. 😛

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, dinoslav said:

It was an unbranded filter, it was my mistake letting the mechanic install it and not insisting on an original one!

BTW the noise wasn't there this morning after sitting all night. Hopefully I won't hear it again 😀 

No worries. Looks like you've got it all sorted, well done, enjoy the ride.:wheel:

Archived