How Does The 8Th Gen Rate? Is It The Best Vfr Yet?

Kingmdm

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I was going to do a one thousand mile impression post of the eight gen. compared to others I've owned so this is as good a place to do it as any. Keep in mind, most of it is opinion. BTW, my opinions are almost always right....LOL......

Background, I've owned a 5th gen., 6th gen., and now an 8th gen. among other bikes, one definitely faster than VFR's.

I did not like the downright dangerous front stock suspension of the 5th gen. Few people ever experienced what it is capable of doing to you but let it suffice there is a very good reason the sixth gen. has one millimeter larger diameter front forks. They can save your life. I had a likely near death experience with my fifth gen. when I put it in a "just right" cornering position that twisted the front forks on dry pavement. It's a complicated phenomena that gets a bit hairy to say the least but I never trusted the bike again after that. Too complicated to go into here. The sound of the gear driven cams never really was an orgasm to me. I did like the very slightly better acceleration over the sixth gen. due to one more tooth on the rear sprocket.

Sixth gen.: I liked it except for the looks compared to either the 5th or eighth gen. The front of the 6th is just ugly to me as are the upper rear mounted exhausts. Other than that, I liked the way it ran. The VTEC engagement never really bothered me nor was mine abrupt. If it came on in the middle of a tight corner, I just never had a problem with it. Like any VFR, it's fast enough for me. If people got their way and it magically turned into a liter engine, they couldn't handle the power so that's no big deal where I ride....in the Appalachians....the most challenging overall riding in the country IMHO. Witness how first timers struggle at TMAC.

Eighth gen.: Mine is "snatchy" on the throttle but that will go away in time as my 6th gen did. I think VFR engines really smooth out over time. Overall looks are much better than the 6th but the 5th is a beauty too. The instrument panel is an abortion. Time will tell if an oil change and maintenance is easier to deal with considering the new body work. I like the smaller front fender but not the forward sloping gas tank. I used to be a tank hugger in the twisties. The stock muffler is titanic in size but mine will likely stay stock as I don't see the point in loud "billy bad ass" mufflers. It's hard to get meaningful more power out of a VFR. The power curve is definitely different in the 8th as is the VTEC engagement. VTEC engagement never really bothered me on the 6th even in curves so no big deal to me. The 8th just isn't like a part of my body yet and that's because I've been totally off of bikes for 5 years. I'm also not in as good physical shape but that's temporary. Riding a VFR quick in the Appalachians takes more physical effort than some people know. I live in the Appalachians so that will take care of itself. I really don't care if I get back up to my "quickness" level or not because I was burning through good rear tires in 2000 miles and less at times. That's getting on the dark side with a VFR to me. So, to answer the OP's question, I think the 8th will end up being an overall significant improvement in spite of a few faults. Oh, if those that want a liter engine got them, they would likely not last long anyway. How fast do you want to go in the twisties? My experience with significantly more hp in the Appalachians doesn't necessarily translate into faster asphalt speed for the vast majority of riders. Bailyrock being the exception of course. He can outrun most of us on a scooter...... :goofy:

Agree with your assessment on fifth gen front forks. I had them fully serviced as per factory manual but because they are non adjustable for rebound or compression, I found out the hard way they can dive real hard under full on emergency braking and rebound real quick and high side the rider. The eight gen (dlx) in us has rebound adjstable forks that perform much better. I had three-way adjustable ohlins on the fifth gen but the eight gen rear shock is capable of matching the performance I got out of the ohlins. Hv no problems with the vtec coming into play, transition on and off is smooth. Put 5000km on since I bought it and along with a scottoiler and oil change, it is a smooth riding bike. Quick shifter helps and I like the heated grips, abs and traction control. The slimmer fairing genuinely improves the bikes demeanour in windy conditions prevalent in my country. Where the yellow 99 could be blown around, the eighth gen knives through crosswinds gust without losing composure in even 100 km/h gusts.

Sorry to bring up an old post but I'm ffascinatedby the 5th gen Forks comment. This sounds like a dampening issue not a for size issue, or did both of you have different problems with your bikes? If it is a dampening issue increasing the diameter of fork would seem the expensive way to fix a problem that should be cheap to fix. I agree the forks are pretty small on the 5th gens for sure. The 3 I have ridden never made me think anything bad was going to happen so I'm interested in what yall have to say about it.

I experienced a fork diameter / strength issue. As I said, there is a reason Honda increased the diameter of the 6th gen. forks by a millimeter. Try putting the front wheel of a 5th gen. between your legs and see if you can twist the forks with the handlebars. I can make them twist though with effort. I can't make the front end of a 6th gen. twist using the same method and all the effort I have. The front forks of a 5 gen. will twist under exactly the right circumstances in cornering, which occurs extremely rarely. When it does occur, control of the steering is completely lost and very pronounced head shake can occur and it and other things did happen in one instance with me in very hard cornering. The entire incident is very hard to explain so I won't even try. I will let it suffice that I'm lucky it didn't kill me and I will never have another 5th gen. with stock front forks besides the fact that I just don't have any desire to own one. Get in a near death situation and you'll feel the same about it as I do I suspect.

• Member Contributer

Sorry, every bike has been more perfect than the last. I graduated from my SV650 to the VFR, seemed logical to me. L-90s just make sense.

I actually agree with you. There is some really neat technology out in bikes today compared to just 5 years ago. Kind of like cars too.

Interesting I wonder if there is a flaw in the design. Sv650 forks are 41mm and those things are raced by the truck load, most with only upgraded springs and race tech valves. Maybe a fork brace is in order.... Enough of my thread jacking. Thanks for sharing your info Bent!

• Member Contributer

Interesting I wonder if there is a flaw in the design. Sv650 forks are 41mm and those things are raced by the truck load, most with only upgraded springs and race tech valves. Maybe a fork brace is in order.... Enough of my thread jacking. Thanks for sharing your info Bent!

If threads didn't get jacked, there would only be three or four of them here. It is a flaw in the design, but, pragmatically, only a very few people will ever experience what the flaw can cause. I happened to be one of the few. When something like that happens to you, it's over with, and you truly wonder why you weren't killed or badly hurt by the incident, you develop strong feelings about the bike. I have strong feelings about the shi--y handling of Mustangs. Someone did something stupid on an interstate that almost killed me. Due to the poor handling capabilities of my Mustang, I should not be sitting here typing this so I have strong negative feelings about Mustangs. As far as fork braces, I don't know. I don't want to have first hand experience finding out either. :comp13:

• Member Contributer

Got to say I witnessed Ron Haslam racing in the trans Atlantic challenge races at donnington back in the 80s on a stock Vfr straight out of the showroom. Fair enough it was on the 37 MM forks that the bike originally had but I don't think he had any problems.

Must say this is the first I have heard about faulty forks. There are a few bikes out there that have non adjustable suspension.

You may have also noticed as tyre tech gets better tyres get wider and as does the yoke off set.

• Member Contributer

Not sure what causes a gen 5 to have a "dangerous" front suspension or what a "just right" cornering position is. I've yet to find any anomalies on any of the VFRs I've ridden... other then first interceptor which I trashed at Summit Point during a WERA 3hr. race back in the early 80s. The 16" front wheel/tire made the bike very sustable to oversteering.

Maybe you could expand on what happened just after the "just right cornering position" caused the "dangerous" front suspension to twist on dry pavement?

• Member Contributer

The early Interceptors had notorious swingarm bushing wear issues that could cause terrible wobbles and tank-slappers. Contributing factors can include one or more of tire wear, tire inflation, steering bearing wear, steering bearing too loose or too tight, worn or sticking fork bushing, inappropriate suspension settings, etc. Poor rider form is also often a factor and can make a slight wobble into a full-on tank-slapper. Then of course there's the design related stuff like frame and steering geometry and stiffness. Think about the Suzuki TL1000. My old RZ-350s didn't take much to make them into a wild bronco ride - even with fork braces and steering dampers - and there's a good reason Kawasaki H2s were nick-named widow-makers.

Usually when a particular model of bike (cue the TL1000 again, LOL) has wobble issues you hear about it right away.

That said I've never heard people claim Honda's 5th gen VFRs to be generally wobble-prone. Except of course as a result of worn, scalloped tires or somesuch.

Is it the best to date? IMO,yes! Is there still room for improvement? Yes.

Quality USD forks, 50 more HP, more user friendly and integrated button layout, cruise control, would make for a good start.

Coming in December, right after I buy one.

Nah, but if that were true (150 HP, fully-adjustable USD forks) I'd probably take the hit on a trade-in.

That's not to say it isn't a fine bike, but those little changes would make it perfect for its task. I believe they could do it and still stay under $13k, especially if they stick to the update cycle they've been on (which, again, isn't that bad for something that doesn't have to win races.)

• Member Contributer

So from your previous statement you don't own one at the mo?

So what difference will the fully adjustable usd forks make considering the vast majority of folk don't set up their bike. It will also add to the weight.

• Member Contributer

As will an engine pumping out 150bhp.

I'd have thought 120-ish bhp would be significant enough without tipping the scales too much further.

If you want 150+, get a VFR1200 and sort the suspension! :wink:

No, I own one. I'd consider a new model coming out within a year of my purchase "right after" me getting one. I guess I'm not the vast majority, I'd like my bike to be set up properly and mitigate any issues I see. I'd be fine with gaining 5 ounces for that. As for the motor, HP doesn't equal weight. Even if it did, do you really think they'd need to add 50 pounds to the motor to get more power out of it? The 1200 is too big. If I wanted power and nothing else, I would have bought one.

• Member Contributer

Honest question: why is the 8th gen so heavy? Many other bikes of similar stature (tuono for one) or larger (GS?) weigh less.

Part of my reason for asking is I've observed quite a few comment they wish it had more power which could be somewhat mitigated if it weighed 50lbs less.

• Member Contributer

2016 R1200 GS curb weight fully fueled (5.2 gal) = 525lbs (BMW motorad website)

2015 Aprilia tuono v4r curb weight fully fueled =467lbs (212kg wet) (Aprilia tuono forum)

2016 S1000 XR curb weight fully fueled (5.2gal) = 502lbs (BMW motorad website)

2014 Vfr800 dlx curb weight fully fueled=536lbs (honda website)

So why so much weight? Smallest engine, similar wheelbase, etc

2015 Aprilia tuono v4r curb weight fully fueled =467lbs (212kg wet) (Aprilia tuono forum)

I guess that the raw material used in engine making is heavier, as Japan is lack of natural resources.

• Member Contributer

What's that in English?

• Member Contributer

I'm guessing if they gave the bike a complete overhaul, it'd probably lose some weight. Or am I wrong in thinking the main components are largely around 15 years old?

The main components aren't about 15 years old. If you look carefully at the eighth gen. differences, including the swing arm and frame for example, almost everything on the bike has been changed. If Honda had seen a great deal of importance in significantly changing the weight or power of the bike, it would be a radically different bike that likely would not have sold well either.

People are not buying many motorcycles today. What is Honda selling well in bikes right now? Answer: Goldwings to older people that have the money in hand. That's from the biggest Honda dealer in the country where people fly in from all over the country to buy, and the local dealer saying the same thing. If it weren't for 4 wheelers, Honda dealers would be starving even more. Today, you can't kill a deer unless you own a 4 wheeler don't ya know. Four wheelers keep their service departments full also.

Archived