Lust Racing Lowering Kit Installed And Now...?

PACIFICMAN

Hello All. I purchased a set of Lust Racing lowering plates from a VFRD member, hat tip "cold soda".

They were a breeze to install and achieved my goal of being virtually flat footed while stationary.

The kick stand issue does not seem critical at this point, however, I have noticed the handling has changed a bit. The bike, a 2007, now turns in more aggressively. The change is subtle but apparent. So far I have only road tested in the neighborhood at low to moderate speed. My concern is the quicker turn in could get more pronounced at high speeds, with Bad results. I believe I will need to ease the forks up in the clamps a bit to balance the bike and reduce the new heaviness.

My question: Who else has made this Mod and what did you do in addition to adding the plates in regards to handling, etc...?

Thanks in advance for any insights, advice and opinions!

• Member Contributer

Actually with lowering the rear, you have slowed the steering such that the front would push more in turns. You should definately lower the front by a simular amount or probly 5 - 10 mm more to improve steering. I would an equal amount first and see how that effects it.

Technically I'm sure you're correct, but it doesn't feel slower. It leans in more quickly, maybe it relates to going relatively slowly. I figured the front end adjustment was the next step. The kit claims a 1.1 inch drop, I'll start there.

• Member Contributer

Go to the downloads section of the forum and download the 'Race Tech Suspension Bible'. There's a whole section on bike geometry, read that section and it should help you with what you're after.

• Member Contributer

The kit claims a 1.1 inch drop, I'll start there.

Do not raise the forks 1.1inches, the wheel and guard will hit the bottom of the fairing and make damage.

I think on the 6th gen the most you can raise the forks is less then 1/2 inch.

Man, that is a lot to lower the rear. I agree, steering should be noticeably slower.

To quicken the steering you raise the rear and lower the front.

• Member Contributer

Lowering the rear 1.1" is not a trifling change and it will cause some sag increase in the back and decrease in the front compounding the change in chassis pitch.

It might also alter how much you tend to rest your own weight on the bars leading to a different (lighter) feel to the steering in spite of the fact that you have actually increased rake and trail.

Just a thought.

Did the Lust 3-4 years ago, raised the fork tubes 10mm.....doesn't hit the oil cooler and handles so much better for me, a, huge difference. Now that I installed Jamie's inserts and have my rear shock being shipped back by Jamie....life should be very very sweet on the viffer.

You definitely should shorten the kickstand

JMO

So, I have lowered the front end by 10mm. This has lessened the perceived change in handling. Nothing comes in contact with rear of the front fender, no matter how hard or quickly I compress the front suspension.

Ducc, How did you alter your kickstand? I seem to have sufficient "lean" but...

Switch, I do sometimes 2up. I presume I would stiffen the rear shock when I do, no?

Archived