Anybody Run Bridgstone T30 Battlax Tires?

HispanicSlammer

• Forum CEO

what are your impressions, mileage compared to other tires you have tried, its hard to compare mileage rider to rider but with the same rider tire wear is it better or worst? Read good things so far, a bit pricy but I did not like the milage on the Pilot road 4

pr009.jpg

I've run through two sets of T30 on my Multi and they were only good for about 2,200 miles. I got similar mileage out of the Angel GT. The BT-023 gave me 600 to 800 miles better. Remarkably, I got 2,100 (rear) to 2,900 (front) out of Q3's and that included two days at VIR plus TMac. The T30 performs well enough but it has a stiff sidewall that invokes sailor language when trying to change.

I should also point out that none of these tires were worn out in the middle, so I don't really get a chance to make full use of the multi-compound sport touring tires.

• Member Contributer

kebrider thinks the T30 EVOS are the best thing since sliced bread. He said the same thing about Angel GTs, T30 (originals), Q3s, S20 EVOs, and just about anything that doesn't say Michelin on the side. My interpretation is that 1) he can't make up his mind and 2) buy the T30 EVO since it has the best balance of grip, wear, and wet weather handling for most purposes. Dunno about the mounting of the T30 EVOs, but the original T30 is a b*tch and a half as Bill noted.

You got me thinking about this a little more and I agree that total mileage is not a good comparison across different riders/bikes/roads combinations. So I thought I would post relative longevity on the various tires I have tried under similar conditions. The worst mileage I have gotten out of any tire were the Bridgestone S20, so they get assigned a 1.0. A tire that got 20% more mileage would receive a 1.2 and so on. I have used several sets of certain tires which explains the range of numbers for some tires. With that in mind, here are the results.

Front Tires Rear Tires

Bridgestone S20 1.0 to 1.3 1.0 to 1.2

Michelin PR2 2.0 to 2.4 2.1 to 2.5

Bridgestone BT-023 2.9 1.8 to 2.1

Pirelli Angel GT 2.1 1.6

Dunlop Q3 2.2 1.6

Bridgestone T30 1.6 1.6

So, from this data, the BT-023 and PR2 have delivered the best mileage with the same rider on the same bike and similar riding conditions.

They are going on my Fireblade when the OE Dunlop Qualifier 2 have finished wearing out - not long to go now after 3,900 miles but they might last the winter.

Tried to have these T30 EVOS put on the VFR but they had sold out, so had to have Continentals fitted at very short notice (wheels already off ! )

They will be my next tyres.

I am running the plain T30 on my VFR750F. It feels good and I have been using it.

I have mounted close to a dozen sets of T30's in the past year.

The regular T30 is like installing any other tire.

That T30 GT is a monster to get on the rim.

The side wall is extremely stiff and needs a whole lot of persuasion to get mounted.

I have not heard any complaints for any rider who has gotten a set of T30's from me.

I think the prices were reasonable from JakeWilson.com plus the 40.00 rebate Bridgestone was running.

I hope they do it again this year.

• Member Contributer

I have T30's fitted, 6000 miles so far, still plenty left in the rear,front I suppose 65% remaining, I got far less mileage from the Pirelli angels, they seem a good gripping tyre,wet or dry, good enough for me anyway,I also have T30's on my ST1100, might try the T30 evos next time,

PR4's just don't look right to me,too many sipes or something.

• Member Contributer

When I try a new tire and it works better than previous models I let my friends know. The new T30 Evo is my favorite right now because it steers better than any tire I have used and I can drag knee in the wet.

How long they last is not yet proven but we are 3K into The Girl's set and the look about 60% gone with 75% center tread remaining.

Steering feel and wet/dry grip mean way more than wear where we live but I will report wear numbers when I wear out my first set. I have them on 3 bikes right now and I am ordering 6 more sets this month. Stocking up for next year.

• Member Contributer

When I try a new tire and it works better than previous models I let my friends know. The new T30 Evo is my favorite right now because it steers better than any tire I have used and I can drag knee in the wet.

How long they last is not yet proven but we are 3K into The Girl's set and the look about 60% gone with 75% center tread remaining.

Steering feel and wet/dry grip mean way more than wear where we live but I will report wear numbers when I wear out my first set. I have them on 3 bikes right now and I am ordering 6 more sets this month. Stocking up for next year.

As always appreciate your commentary on the tires. I've got 2 sets of these with the S20 front /T30 rear combination because of your comments. I will keep stocking up!

• Member Contributer

HS,

The T30 is a very good tire in all ways, except wear for me. But you should try a set anyway! :cool:

ST1300s destroy T30 GTs but they destroy every tire.

• Member Contributer

And I have loved every recommendation. Keep up the good work!

I think the prices were reasonable from JakeWilson.com plus the 40.00 rebate Bridgestone was running.

I hope they do it again this year.

I bought them 1) because of Kimball's recommendation and 2) the sale was a no-brainer. An already inexpensive tire with competitive mileage and good performance for even less money: sign me up for that!!

• Member Contributer

As always appreciate your commentary on the tires. I've got 2 sets of these with the S20 front /T30 rear combination because of your comments. I will keep stocking up!

As much as I liked the S20 EVO front with T30 rear I found the new T30 EVO seems to work even better as a full set, no sport front required. First time I have been this confident in a sport-tour front but I have not found the limit of the T30 EVO front yet. I miss knowing the sport front is there though so if you like it keep using it. The T30 EVO steers better than the S20 EVO which is very high praise.

The T30 EVOs look like they will wear better than the standard T30s which was not a claim made by Bridgestone. I wish they would make the EVO in sizes for the ST1300.

• Member Contributer

I can add an anecdotal review of the T30 Evo's vs PR4's. Both seasons/tire sets were on a loaded 5th gen road tripping out west. Wingrack2 with E35 panniers, E45 topcase, large Oxford tank bag, Wolfman large waterproof duffel with tent/sleeping bag/misc camping gear. In other words loaded down.

Last year was on the PR4's, approx 5400 miles on them. Fantastic tires all around, including 60 miles or so of gravel/fire roads, monsoon on Iron Mountain Road while hooning etc. Standard 42/36 pressures. 100 degree heat to mid 40's. The rear squared off pretty well but had probably 4000 miles left to go loaded down or more than that in standard trim. The front cupped what I consider unacceptably.....this is the only downmark I give them other than cost.

This year was the T30 Evo's. Approx 6000 miles on them, same usage as above. Included some sub 40 degree weather in sleet near glacier National Park. I felt no difference in confidence in the wet/cold/hooning than on the Michelin's. They handle random tarsnakes much better I think than the PR4. The ride is a bit stiffer on the rear and felt better with the load. I figured this would be the case as when mounting them the sidewall is much stiffer. I would consider wear on the rear to be almost identical to the PR4's. The front did not cup at all, it actually squared like the rear.

Best part was with the rebate the pair was over $100 less than the Michelins. Unless they skyrocket in price I would use them again in a heartbeat.

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

The regular T-30 seems to wear the same as the GT models so no advantage there. The regular T-30 is more than enough tire for the VFR but if I weighed over 210 and I carried a large passenger consistently I would probably spring for the GT version.

Most importantly make sure to get the T-30 EVO (GT or non GT) for the better wet grip and mileage.

• Member Contributer

Thanks, the GT and standard T30's are the same price here, I weigh about 250lbs suited up plus luggage, but I am mostly riding the vfr solo.

Archived