Suspension Upgrade - Decision Made Easy!

Skids

• Member Contributer

Booked for Sep 10 at 1300, ride in, ride out.

Booked for July 6, ride in, ride out ;-)

Please, please please let us know how you get on. I need t make a decision one way or the other and you might just be able to help. What are you having done? Are you going Ohlins or something else??

It's a Wilbers rear shock plus a virtual rebuild of the interior of the front forks. A m8 of mine had it done recently at MCT and I had a ride last week.....what a difference. It felt more like my 800 than a 1200; lighter steering, quicker & more precise turn-in and it didn't go wide on corner exit.

At £1100 it's not cheap but the result is definitely worth it imo.

The guy at MCT (they do a LOT of race bike setups) said he was really happy with what they did to my m8's bike and he thinks it's the best he's done so far so it will be the "default" recommended solution so if you are considering getting it done, I'd suggest a call to MCT.

My 1200 is booked in with Daren at MCT on the 20th July which was the earliest he could fit me in when I first went beginning of June. I'm getting Ohlins rear shock and forks revalved etc. disappointed that he was'nt able to fit me in before my biking holiday in Spain 2 weeks ago. MCT have done quite a few VFR 1200's now, not sure why they recommend Wilbers to some & Ohlins to others?

Price? I think the Wilbers is considerably cheaper, though hopefully not so cheap it wont be suitable.

Have you asked him why?

Do let us know how you get on with the upgrade.

• Member Contributer

Just sent mine off to Jamie Daugherty today... Can't wait. :beer:

I've had my DMr suspension rebuild (forks & stock shock) for several months and ~15,000 miles. The settings Jamie used have been perfect out of the box. Only just yesterday, on a familiar windy road, did I think of playing with it a bit for the first time. You'll be happy with the improvement, especially for the price. Did you get the shock done too?

Please, please please let us know how you get on. I need t make a decision one way or the other and you might just be able to help. What are you having done? Are you going Ohlins or something else??

It's a Wilbers rear shock plus a virtual rebuild of the interior of the front forks. A m8 of mine had it done recently at MCT and I had a ride last week.....what a difference. It felt more like my 800 than a 1200; lighter steering, quicker & more precise turn-in and it didn't go wide on corner exit.

The guy at MCT (they do a LOT of race bike setups) said he was really happy with what they did to my m8's bike and he thinks it's the best he's done so far so it will be the "default" recommended solution so if you are considering getting it done, I'd suggest a call to MCT.

My 1200 is booked in with Daren at MCT on the 20th July which was the earliest he could fit me in when I first went beginning of June. I'm getting Ohlins rear shock and forks revalved etc. disappointed that he was'nt able to fit me in before my biking holiday in Spain 2 weeks ago. MCT have done quite a few VFR 1200's now, not sure why they recommend Wilbers to some & Ohlins to others?

Price? I think the Wilbers is considerably cheaper, though hopefully not so cheap it wont be suitable.

Have you asked him why?

Mine is in at MCT on Monday, I'm getting the Wilbers shock. I'll report back ASAP.

Have you asked him why?

Mine is in at MCT on Monday, I'm getting the Wilbers shock. I'll report back ASAP.
Mwah ha ha ha...The absolute dog's bollocks to coin a quaint English phrase. Turns effortlessly, holds a line perfectly, changes direction mid corner with no fuss, feels lighter, rear doesn't squat down and it doesn't feel like a pogo stick over the rough stuff. Front is awesome, properly planted! All in all a very happy customer. I think I have the perfect road bike for me and the Mrs now.

• Member Contributer

So pretty much the perfect ST bike then.

Can't wait for mine to be done.

my suspension is so dialed in right now it's amazing.....rear (Ohlins) is perfect...if Jamie can dial the front fork (Ohlins springs) in any better it will be unreal....going to send forks to him in the fall....sending the Valkyrie forks to him first, they need it bad

• 2 weeks later...

One more vote for the Daugherty improvement. Rear end for me. I had the rear shock done with stiffer spring and Jamie's upgraded valving. He chose the spring rate. I haven't touched the front. What a difference! Stock rear spring was way too soft for me. Now it is firm, but very compliant and smooth. I have not bottomed out the rear since the upgrade, and I have hit some pretty big bumps.

As another example, I had a stiffer rear spring and gold valve upgrade from Race Tech on my Tiger 1050. Transformed that one as well. Daugherty is a great value option.

Thatch in Seattle

Have you asked him why?

Mwah ha ha ha...The absolute dog's bollocks to coin a quaint English phrase. Turns effortlessly, holds a line perfectly, changes direction mid corner with no fuss, feels lighter, rear doesn't squat down and it doesn't feel like a pogo stick over the rough stuff. Front is awesome, properly planted! All in all a very happy customer. I think I have the perfect road bike for me and the Mrs now.

MCT had my bike in today, Ohlins rear shock & MCT 20mm fork upgrade. Went for a test ride before parting with my GBP's, came back grinning like a Chesire Cat, what a difference, felt lighter with so little effort needed to tip it over compared to standard suspension.

• Member Contributer

Have you asked him why?

MCT had my bike in today, Ohlins rear shock & MCT 20mm fork upgrade. Went for a test ride before parting with my GBP's, came back grinning like a Chesire Cat, what a difference, felt lighter with so little effort needed to tip it over compared to standard suspension.

Stop it, I'm jealous!

• Member Contributer

Stop it, I'm jealous!

Not long now m8, it'll be well worth the wait. Maybe we'll have a celebratory ride out and compare notes when yours is done.

Finchingfield?

Stop it, I'm jealous!

Not long now m8, it'll be well worth the wait. Maybe we'll have a celebratory ride out and compare notes when yours is done.

Finchingfield?

Absolutely, I should be able to beat my PB for my favourite route home now!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

My beauty goes in today for her suspender mods.

Weather forecast is perfect for a x-country ride (via Bosworths café in Finchingfield) then on the work.

Me.....excited???? :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I did......20 degrees in clear blue skies and a 200-mile x-country return journey. :beer:

As others have said after they've had their suspension upgraded; it transforms the bike. Feels 50kg lighter, steers easily and holds a line exiting bends. Wonderful!

Upgrade consists of new Wilbers rear shock with remote preload adjuster, new front internals, springs, 20mm MCT kit with modified cartridges, set up to my requirements. The Wilbers are made to order and specification and the fork mods are all the work of the MCT Suspension guys except the K-tech springs which they buy in.

If anyone in the UK wants their suspension upgrading I highly recommend MCT Suspension in Stowmarket, Suffolk. Ride in, ride out service, they're happy for you to stay and watch them work and you get free suspension services for life.

IMAG0394_zps7dzl1wcj.jpg

IMAG0395_zpsxge70ifs.jpg

IMAG03981_zpst4e5n74x.jpg

Archived