Average Lifespan In Miles/kilometers

elfreako

Ola', I've been wondering what the average lifespan of a motorcycle engine is. A few look on forums and people give completely different responses, which also vary widely with the style of the bike. My last bike was a CBR1100RR Blackbird, before selling that I had near 80,000km on the clock, I think I put on about 50,000km myself and it was still running quite well. I was always under the impression that 100,000km (60,000mi) is about fair game, but I also understand that proper maintenance will help extend the life span.

At the moment I have just shy of 16,000mi on the clock, and I only bought it almost a year ago with 8,000mi. Given the calculation of an average of 8,000mi per year, I'm curious how many years I think I've got before I would need start thinking of trading in/up.

If anyone has proper mechanical knowledge on this subject, I'd like to hear it. Also, I'd like to hear what the current reading on peoples odometer is, maybe it'll give me peace of mind that I've got a few years left with a sturdy engine.

• Member Contributer

If your VFR1200 is serviced as the manual, there is no reason why you should not get 100,000 miles -125,000 miles, or even more out of your VFR1200, engine oils are far superior now, than they have ever been. :smile2:

• Member Contributer

If anyone has proper mechanical knowledge on this subject, I'd like to hear it. Also, I'd like to hear what the current reading on peoples odometer is, maybe it'll give me peace of mind that I've got a few years left with a sturdy engine.

This topic has already been started. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/79653-if-you-have-more-than-50000-miles-or-80000-km-on-your-vfr1200/?hl=miles Hopefully people will post any responsed there in order to keep all info together. And like the poster above says, more than 125k miles should be no problem with proper maintenance. Plenty of examples of people riding their ST1300, FJR, DL100/650 etc... those sorts of miles. You are way more likely to have some other bike catch your eye leading you to sell your current bike than you are of having an engine failure due to high miles.

• Member Contributer

My first '01 was running strong (see oil analysis in my gallery) at 105,000 mi when KIA'd (by a POS deer).

• Member Contributer

There are various examples of very high VFR mileage bikes, though not 1200 as yet AFAIK.

My 98 has done 130000 miles and the engine was still going strong on original gearbox & clutch.

There is reputed to be a despatch rider down London-way who has over 250k on his Fi and a certain lubricants company has a bench-run Fi engine with over 500k on it.

As has been said above, with proper maintenance, the 1200 should easily last.

Archived