How To Remedy Tire Mold/glazing On New Tires.

VolsFan

• Member Contributer

I am just about to get my order of farkles for the upcoming Dillon meet. Along with the farkles I purchased a new front tire. I have read and heard of many horror storys about riders crashing due to how slick the tires are. I have read that you can clean them with rubbing alcohol to take off the "glazing" on the tires. Has anyone tried this?? Does it work?? How many miles do you ride on a new tire before you start to push it?

GO VOLS!!!!

• Member Contributer
I am just about to get my order of farkles for the upcoming Dillon meet. Along with the farkles I purchased a new front tire. I have read and heard of many horror storys about riders crashing due to how slick the tires are. I have read that you can clean them with rubbing alcohol to take off the "glazing" on the tires. Has anyone tried this?? Does it work?? How many miles do you ride on a new tire before you start to push it?

GO VOLS!!!!

Get on em and ride em like you stole em. New tires aren't made like they were 20 years ago, no slickness off the molds like the early years. If you warm em up the same way you always do before riding aggressively then you're good to go.

Furthermore.........

My guess as to these experts who are crashing on new tires is they either aren't warming them up or they're using the tires as a excuse for lack of skill or brain fade. We all make mistakes, thats my guess.

I think the prudent thing to do is to progressively lean the bike a bit more in each curve, in order to scrub a bit more each time. By going progressively you ensure that you always have a bit of 'scrubbed' rubber making contact.

I just put on a set of PR2s (still <100km) and had the bike squirm a few times as I was trying to enjoy my 'tire prep' run. The mold release IS slippery, so don't be a hero....too quickly...

BI

It's a good idea to take it easy for at least a while, a few blocks or kilometres, as new tires do have a surface finish to them without any release compound. And you've just had the front wheel and brakes off.

When you go out after you've had work done, don't think of it as a test ride. It's a test flight.

• Member Contributer
Get on em and ride em like you stole em. New tires aren't made like they were 20 years ago, no slickness off the molds like the early years. If you warm em up the same way you always do before riding aggressively then you're good to go.

Furthermore.........

My guess as to these experts who are crashing on new tires is they either aren't warming them up or they're using the tires as a excuse for lack of skill or brain fade. We all make mistakes, thats my guess.

%201.gif

Once they are warm, they are good to go.

Do not put nasty quemicals on your tires, all you need to do is take it easy for a few turns and gradually increase your lean angle, easy does it:)

I think the prudent thing

to do is to progressively lean the bike a bit more in each curve, in order to scrub a bit more

each time. By going progressively you ensure that you always have a bit of 'scrubbed' rubber

making contact. I just put on a set of PR2s (still <100km) and had the bike squirm a few times

as I was trying to enjoy my 'tire prep' run. The mold release IS slippery,

so don't be a hero....too quickly...BI

As much as everyone has a different opinion of how to run in a new tyre..... and not to say they are

wrong.... but I'm in agreement with "DDO", on his whole procedure. I'll 1st go to an empty parking

lot(with no oil drops)and do some left circles getting deeper,etc. Then after that I go workout on a

traffic cloverleaf(which I like to do anyway,right handers are my worse side). But I won't push it

until I get 100 miles on them........

• Member Contributer

Furthermore.........

%201.gif

:angry:

:laugh:

A while back, when I put some new Avon Storms on the VFR, the tyre tech said "be careful on your new tyres". I talked to him about it afterwards, and he said his comment was due more to the change in profile than slipperiness, as (according to him) Avon don't use silicon mould release on their tyres. He was right though, because they felt SO different and tipped into the first corner so readily, I could've easily fallen off, as so little effort was required. If I'd just "ridden by habit" instead of taking time to adjust to them, I would've been on my ear. Or rear...

I used to go to the supermarket carpark and do figure-eights. However, when I got a new Storm fitted a couple of weeks ago, I just rode normally. It didn't need any scuffing in (unlike the new brakepads).

You can wash with a little acetone, but it really doesn't help much (it does get some or the lube from mounting off the tire if it was slopped on the tread), the silicone release agent is actually in the surface of the rubber (the rubber is porous on the surface near the mold). I made spec racing tires, and worked in the testing labs for McCreary tire for a while.

go to a parking lot, and do tighter and tighter figure 8's, and tight circles at max lean (this will scuff them to the edge safely) till the surface is dull and you see the open pores of the rubber and then it is ok.

GO VOLS!!!!

GO VOLS!!!!

They are made exactly the same as 20 years ago, the compounds are a bit different and is the ply layout, But the MFG. process is Excatly the same! and the silicone mold release can really only be removed by abrasion, further on street tires they really need several heat cycles not just one, the tires continue to cure through these early cycles, and then start to decompose.

Furthermore.........

Do not put nasty quemicals on your tires, all you need to do is take it easy for a few turns and gradually increase your lean angle, easy does it:)

Really the best advise.

To give you an idea of how tough the mold release is to remove, we only had to apply it to the tire molds about every 250 tires! there is really no solvent for it as it is in the surface or the rubber. The other reason not to go nuts off the bat is that ALL TIRE MAKERS SHIP BAD TIRES AT TIMES, there have been recalls from every tire maker at some time or another (usually a compound mistake, or a belt layout flaw)

Your tires are still curing through the first few heat cycles, and they are also seating on the rims (the lube used in mounting will allow a tire to spin on the rim till the water in is driven out, by heat)

One of the things you do not know is how much release was in the mold when your tire was made, if it was #1 out of the mold it will take a bit more scuffing than if it was number 200.

I have seen a lad leave ultimate toys on a new maxxis go two blocks on kingston pk. and hammer it and go down turning onto lovell rd. (don't be that guy, the rear just went away, it was NEW and COLD)

:angry:

Morganton to Suches on Highway 60 is plenty distance to get them scrubbed in.

One of the motorcycle mags had an article on this months ago. They interviewed an engineer with one of the tire companies. They stated that mold release compounds aren't used anymore. The molds are coated with teflon or similar coating, so no compounds are needed. He also stated that weaving is a very bad way to heat up the tires. Motorcycles tires heat more from accelerating and braking. Car tires warm up with the weaving quicker due to the sidewalls flexing. The sidewalls are motorcycle tires don't flex nearly as much as car tires. That being said, i only "go easy" until i get used to the new profile, then it's on from there. Never had a problem.

No need to ride cloverleafs here, we got twisties aplenty.

I just go easy the first ride on new tires. :angry:

No need to ride cloverleafs here, we got twisties aplenty.

I just go easy the first ride on new tires. :angry:

How long does it take you to ride "to" your twisties. It takes me about an hour and fifteen min's. Of course it only takes 5 min's. to get to the cloverleaf. The neat thing about the "CL" is I can ride around that thing as fast as I can handle it (1st time to check it out), as may times as I want, no one knows I'm doing it, because they only see me once and they're gone. I've never seen a cop hanging out on them either. And it doesn't cost any money to get on it :laugh: ..... And since there are only 4 turns, it doesn't take as long to learn the course, and from there I can work on technique/turning points/etc.......... Just wish there were some round-abouts near by........

One of the motorcycle mags had an article on this months ago. They interviewed an engineer with one of the tire companies. They stated that mold release compounds aren't used anymore. The molds are coated with teflon or similar coating, so no compounds are needed. He also stated that weaving is a very bad way to heat up the tires. Motorcycles tires heat more from accelerating and braking. Car tires warm up with the weaving quicker due to the sidewalls flexing. The sidewalls are motorcycle tires don't flex nearly as much as car tires. That being said, i only "go easy" until i get used to the new profile, then it's on from there. Never had a problem.

You make a good point on the "How too's" of heating tires, and putting them though heat cycles. I'm not as interested in whether they have anything on them, as much as I'm interested in "scrubbing" them in, just to rough up the rubber.

But it's always good to hear "FYI's"/"OPO's"........

• Member Contributer

OK we heard about wiping them down and riding circles and doing nothing but I got a good one too. I have been called a lot of funny names for this one but here goes anywho.

I put the bike on the center stand and prop up the front wheel if for the front tire or start the engine and put it in gear for the rear.

THEN ---- I get out the ole' belt sander and plug er in. At about a 45 degree angle to the tire I make contact and follow the radius of the tire to the end and back to the center. The sander friction is easily enough to spin the front and the rotating rear while in gear is fine.

The sander just breaks the shine, puts on a little scuff and builds the confidence level to 100%. Then I ride it like it had 1000 miles on it.

OK we heard about wiping them down and riding circles and doing nothing but I got a good one too. I have been called a lot of funny names for this one but here goes anywho.

I put the bike on the center stand and prop up the front wheel if for the front tire or start the engine and put it in gear for the rear.

THEN ---- I get out the ole' belt sander and plug er in. At about a 45 degree angle to the tire I make contact and follow the radius of the tire to the end and back to the center. The sander friction is easily enough to spin the front and the rotating rear while in gear is fine.

The sander just breaks the shine, puts on a little scuff and builds the confidence level to 100%. Then I ride it like it had 1000 miles on it.

I've thought of doing that just to get rid of the chickin' strips :angry:

I get out the ole' belt sander and plug er in. At about a 45 degree angle to the tire I make contact and follow the radius of the tire to the end and back to the center. The sander friction is easily enough to spin the front and the rotating rear while in gear is fine.

Sounds like a waste of good rubber. Unless you substitute "road" for "belt sander". :blush:

Monk, The twisty good stuff begins 10 - 15 miles from my driveway.

Depending on which area I choose, there's multiple paved routes to MC Nirvana.

Dirt riding areas also available for you unclean types. :cool:

I am freaking blessed! with the great roads not far outside my door. :laugh: :cool:

Edit again. Aren't those CL's a spilled oil and antifreeze trap? :angry:

Track days needed by you guys. I got my next set for 10/2. Streets O Willow. :angry:

I get out the ole' belt sander and plug er in. At about a 45 degree angle to the tire I make contact and follow the radius of the tire to the end and back to the center. The sander friction is easily enough to spin the front and the rotating rear while in gear is fine.

Sounds like a waste of good rubber. Unless you substitute "road" for "belt sander". :blush:

Monk, The twisty good stuff begins 10 - 15 miles from my driveway.

Depending on which area I choose, there's multiple paved routes to MC Nirvana.

Dirt riding areas also available for you unclean types. :cool:

I am freaking blessed! with the great roads not far outside my door. :laugh: :cool:

Edit again. Aren't those CL's a spilled oil and antifreeze trap? :angry:

That's why I scout the 1st lap......... I miss the 15 min's. to get to the twisties..... I lived in Denver for thirty years and rode in the mountains about 5 out of 7 days a week.......... Best riding of my life.... I envy your location as well....

• Member Contributer

I have run several brand new Pilot Powers at Jennings, scrub in consisted of a warm up lap of about 1 mile, then all out.

• Member Contributer
I have run several brand new Pilot Powers at Jennings, scrub in consisted of a warm up lap of about 1 mile, then all out.

+1.gif Well, not at Jennings but let er' rip!

That's good to know, sounds like I may be overly cautious +1.gif

Archived