Routine Valve Inspection

Skids

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Did valve clearances on my 10,500 mile 5th gen engine and one of them was on the very edge of spec. If I’d waited for 16,000 miles it would have been out of spec for sure. 

Of course it would still run OK but wouldn’t be ideal. 

Maybe I’m too anal to leave internal maintenance for long but this sort of thing keeps me up at night! 

Probably  it was set in like that. There is no edge of spec as we are using a gauge  and acquired technique to feel it, meaning there is no direct measurement. It would be nice to know if you would notice/ feel any changes 6k from now if left as found.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Stray said:

Did valve clearances on my 10,500 mile 5th gen engine and one of them was on the very edge of spec. If I’d waited for 16,000 miles it would have been out of spec for sure. 

Of course it would still run OK but wouldn’t be ideal. 

Maybe I’m too anal to leave internal maintenance for long but this sort of thing keeps me up at night! 

It's a relatively straightforward job on the 5th Gen so why not if it means peace of mind.  :beer:

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2021 at 3:33 PM, Presson said:

Good point about resale value. Do post your results when you've had it done - useful intelligence to know what if anything needed changing. I don't think I'll be selling mine; very happy and CinC Home has given me some very odd looks when I mention the idea of increasing or even changing the stable!

Valve checks completed by Vertu Honda in Nottingham at 16,200 miles, all found to be within spec. 

I've also a new owners manual in the post.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
4 hours ago, PedalHead said:

So on reciept of a new owners manual it seems the scheduled valve inspection is now 24k mi as opposed to the 16k I was advised by the dealer......

That was kinda the point of the thread if you read the OP, some dealers still think it's 16k whereas the book says 24k. I was just trying to find out which year it changed. 

• Member Contributer

Another printing error???? My apologies, a bit flippant!

It could be that over the years Honda’s dealership feed back has shown that the shorter interval isn’t warranted and it was simple to slip the inspection icon, to the right, one square in the spreadsheet.

Typical Viffer owners don’t flog their bikes, so maybe Honda’s original assumptions were in correct. The increased interval is closer to that of the FJR1300, also a bike that isn’t flogged.

Archived