Engine died while riding into work without warning

• Member Contributer

On my way to work this morning my 1992 vfr750 was running just great...then as I'm coming to a stop light, slowing down, applying brakes and down shifting the engine just dies.  Now I have no dash lights.  A jumper pack on the battery wont even get any lights to come on.  Also tried jump starting it with no luck.  Any help would be greatly appriciated as my beloved bike is dead on the side of the road

Thanks

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, jessejames1216 said:

On my way to work this morning my 1992 vfr750 was running just great...then as I'm coming to a stop light, slowing down, applying brakes and down shifting the engine just dies.  Now I have no dash lights.  A jumper pack on the battery wont even get any lights to come on.  Also tried jump starting it with no luck.  Any help would be greatly appriciated as my beloved bike is dead on the side of the road

Thanks

Not familiar with your model. But if by placing a jumper battery on and still not getting any lights, then I would have a very good look at the wiring around your Starter Relay and the main 30amp Fuse. Also your battery may have shorted cells. Check your battery terminals are clean and tight.

Failing that and if all other fuses are ok, then you might have an ignition switch issue. If you get it running check your charging voltage as well, possible R/R issue.

Hope this helps, keep us posted with how you get on.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, jessejames1216 said:

A jumper pack on the battery wont even get any lights to come on

I'm going with the blown 30amp fuse. It sounds like you're not getting anything at all from the battery circuit. Not just the starter. There's something dodgy in the main circuit. Maybe a short to ground? The solution could be simple. Here's where to look for the fuse...

IMG_4970.jpg.de0cbb4d9b5b9b4226b701fb2d7126ed.jpg

It's going to be hot by the side of the road. I hope you manage to get the bike to a safe location before you begin searching for the answer. 

• Member Contributer

very good chance your R?R is fried.  several times in the shop bike have come in, i swap the fuse and it blows right away. i replaced the r/r and presto problem gone.

• Member Contributer

Check the starter relay connections. If they have failed, like on my '92 pictured below, then no power can get to the starter, or indeed the rest of your bike. 

• Member Contributer

Im going to try and get her home right now.  Your suggestion is the first place im going to look

Thank you for your advice!!  MUCH appeiciation to you and everyone else who offered any info

I will post my findings tonight

• Member Contributer

First let me thank all that replied.  It is greatly appreciated!!  Ok so my bike is up and running again and unfortunately I have no one to blame but myself.  I took the battery out a couple days ago to make some adjustments to the rear shock.  Its a penske so the adjustments aren't in the same places as the factory shock.  So anyway I struck out on adjusting the shock and put the battery and battery box back in.  I must have pushed an important wire down too far because the exhaust header had melted a section of wire coming off the R/R.  Luckily all I had to do was replace a 30 amp fuse and patched up the wire!  5  minute job and I made it to work and back today with no troubles.  Its about 100 degrees where I live today so Im hitting the road again right now!  Again thanks to all who helped me out!  This is the best  goup of VFR  people on the internet!  NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!

Jesse

Archived