5th/6th gen calipers the same

anth85

Are the front calipers on the 5th and 6th gen bikes identical? Some of the pistons on mine are looking a bit worse for wear and one is definitely sticking a bit. I figured the best way to do it is to buy a replacement half decent pair since they aren't that expensive on ebay and I can look at refurbishing mine properly so I have a like new pair to go back on. But there are some well priced already refurbished items for the 5th gen for sale on there like this ebay link

is that compatible with my 2003 vtec?

• Member Contributer

No, they're not, but all 6th gen seem to be.  ABS model calipers are also gold, rather than black, but that's not really an issue unless you're only swapping one side!

5th gen (front)

RHS: 27mm, 22.65mm, 25.4mm

LHS: 25.4mm, 22.65mm, 22.65mm

6th gen (front)

RHS: 25.4mm, 22.65mm, 25.4mm

LHS: 25.4mm, 25.4mm, 25.4mm

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

IIRC the 5th gen front MC activates 4 of the 6 front pistons 2 per side. The 6th gen   front MC activates 5 of the front 6 pistons, 2 on one side & 3 on the other.

Both MC's are the same AFAIK, so you won't need a new one but would need a 6th gen delay/distribution valve. 

2 hours ago, JZH said:

No, they're not, but all 6th gen seem to be.  ABS model calipers are also gold, rather than black, but that's not really an issue unless you're only swapping one side!

5th gen (front)

RHS: 27mm, 22.65mm, 25.4mm

LHS: 25.4mm, 22.65mm, 22.65mm

6th gen (front)

RHS: 25.4mm, 22.65mm, 25.4mm

LHS: 25.4mm, 25.4mm, 25.4mm

Ciao,

JZH

the pair ive ordered are black, the ones ive got are/were gold, will this matter or will i lose the ABS?

• Member Contributer

The ABS function is independent of the calipers; it exists to release the brake pressure when a lock up is detected and restore brake pressure when the wheel is rotating normally. The calipers, pads and discs don't impact on that although they obviously do affect brake feel, power and function.  

• Member Contributer

I don't have a lot of documentation on the 6th gens, but from what I've seen, the pistons are the same for ABS and non-ABS.

Ciao,

JZH

7 hours ago, Lorne said:

Fwiw, my 2009 VTec has black calipers despite it being an ABS model.

very helpful thanks. I was reading ABS came as standard from 2006 onwards so while black the ones I've ordered will have been on an abs equipped bike. But that shouldn't matter anyway from what people are saying above. They arrive today, I just need to source a bleed kit before tonight when I can get them swapped.

so, it turns out they are different. Very different. The ones I bought whilst being advertised as from a 2010 bike and my understanding being post 2006 ever bike had ABS, this one has a different mounting bracket, with no space for an ABS sensor, and I couldn't switch the bracket round because the sliders where in slightly different places. So that was the right one. The left one is mostly the same, apart from the caliper is slightly different, which mean the bottom rear brake connector pipe would not go, it was slightly too short for the different angle the new one sits at. So old calipers back on, with the pistons cleaned up as best I could 😐

• Member Contributer

Maybe they were off a different bike?  Post pics, someone might recognise them.  The 1200 came out in 2010, didn't it?

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Here are some pics of the left & right calipers on my '09 VTec and a press photo of the VFR1200's. 

Note that the brake line routes from master to the left caliber, then to the right caliper. 

The ABS ring and its sensor are completely independent of the caliper.

The 1200 has a totally different design that incorporates radial mounting.

Df-N16143.jpg

Df-N16145.jpg

Df-N16146.jpg

Df-N16148.jpg

left front wheel red.jpg

the ones @Lorne posted in the first 4 pictures is the ones I have. This is the photo from the listing

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.3f2609ee702647022827b5c87c217355.jpg

the different is the right hand caliper has no off shot bit on the mount for the ABS sensor the in the one posted.

The right hand one on mine is like this (image stole from another ebay listing), as you can see the the gold one the ports are in line, whereas the newer one the bottom one is angled away. It this angle that my brake line does not have the length to accommodate.1388792838_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.706210cce3e302b3213244d7941e2bd6.jpg

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, anth85 said:

as you can see the the gold one the ports are in line, whereas the newer one the bottom one is angled away

5th gen VFR800s have straight ports as in your gold example. Press photos and the Service Manual for 2002 VTec show it to also have straight ports.

According the p/n's in Partzilla the caliper assemblies changed in 2006, and these later VTecs have the angled ports.

The hose to the lower port carries brake fluid from the left hand caliper to the the right caliper. 

If you haven't already bought a set I'd suggest that it is better to dismantle, clean, and rebuild your bikes calipers. That way you'll know that they are in tip-top shape. Any used part should be treated skeptically.

Good luck.

7 hours ago, Lorne said:

5th gen VFR800s have straight ports as in your gold example. Press photos and the Service Manual for 2002 VTec show it to also have straight ports.

According the p/n's in Partzilla the caliper assemblies changed in 2006, and these later VTecs have the angled ports.

The hose to the lower port carries brake fluid from the left hand caliper to the the right caliper. 

If you haven't already bought a set I'd suggest that it is better to dismantle, clean, and rebuild your bikes calipers. That way you'll know that they are in tip-top shape. Any used part should be treated skeptically.

Good luck.

Trouble with that is the bike would be out of action while the caliper were rebuilt. The bike is my way of getting to and from work 5 days a week. I had planned on putting this new set on that I bought and then refurbing my current ones which could then go back on. I might still do that but I'd have to buy another set the same as mine and sell these later ones.

Archived